Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

1/05/2012 5:16 am  #1

Sourcing replacement hub seals for Jag IRS

Greetings. I'm a long time lurker just getting around to posting now.

I'm rebuilding/modifying my 1965 Jag  IRS in preparation for it to go into my project but I'm having trouble sourcing the two hub seals in a rubber sealing lip as opposed to the original leather. I suppose the leather would be OK but does any one have part numbers for me with alternatives in rubber?

Also, the hub fulcrum bearings use a felt seal. When using the original cone bearings, are these best left in the felt format?

I'd be happy to include photos after my mandatory 2 posts.

1/05/2012 8:35 am  #2

Re: Sourcing replacement hub seals for Jag IRS

Glad to see you posting!!!  We would love to see some pix of your project.  I did some looking and I see some of the jag specific parts houses like XKs unlimited have the seals but I am not seeing what they are made of.  You may run in to a problem finding rubber as Jag owners are so passionate about their cars that they tend to have the mindset "the way Jaguar did it is the ONLY way to do it"  Another option might be to ditch the XKE hubs for XJ6 hubs.  you could sell the XKE hubs for way more than the XJ6 hubs will cost you and then finding seals is a piece of cake.  As to the felt, reuse it, it is not an oil seal but rather a dust seal and is a good idea.  That is weird that the forum requires two post to show pix.  I wish I could change that but I don't have that option in the admin area.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

1/05/2012 9:22 am  #3

Thanks for the prompt post Daze. I didn't contact XK unlimited but Welsh has both only in leather while Bassett has the outer in leather and the inner in rubber. I was hoping I could use the required size specifics, look it up in a cataloge and purchase them locally here in Toronto but my searches have come up empty handed. For all the trouble, I might just stay with the leather. They're only $6-$12 each.
Ken

1/05/2012 9:26 am  #4

The leather should work fine, and it is good you can get the inner seal in rubber as it is IMHO the more important of the two.  Now that you have your "two posts" lets see some pix

1/05/2012 9:36 am  #5

This is mostly to see if I can manouver the website, posting a photo. I'll post more as I go, I have other questions, one step at a time.
Your basic Jag IRS:

1/05/2012 10:14 am  #6

Those don't look like XKE hubs because they don't have a spinner.  take some measurement of the ID and OD seal requirements and I will measure the XJ6 seals I have.  I have a feeling they will be correct.  Got any caliper pix??  the newer stile is better than the XKE one and if your hubs were changed the calipers may have been changed too.

1/05/2012 12:50 pm  #7

Daze- The unit is from a '65 E-type. I've already changed the hubs over to XJ6's to gain the Chevy bolt pattern.
You mentioned brakes. I'll post progress of my installation of Wilwood .81 vented rotors, calipers and "spot" parking brake components.
Ken

1/05/2012 1:03 pm  #8

well that changes everything.  When I was looking for the parts for you I was looking for XKE seals as a 65 would normally be an XKE.  I just did a quick search on orillieys and they have both the inner and outer seals in rubber.  XJ6 hub parts are easy to get.  I look forward to seeing some break pix.  What did you use for a hub to mate the wilwood rotor to the Jaguar assembly???

1/06/2012 5:38 am  #9

I haven't fabricated the "hats" yet but they will be from aluminum following generally along the lines from the "Jag-Lovers" article:
http://www.jag-lovers.org/xj-s/book/InboardBrakeUpgradeRotors.html

1/06/2012 9:34 pm  #10

For what it's worth have you guys tried sourcing parts in Australia.
This is just a filler post so I can post you a link :o)

1/06/2012 9:44 pm  #11

Jagdaim is the company
www dot jagdaim dot com dot au

Board footera