Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

12/20/2011 6:04 am  #31

Re: Multi Board IRS Searchers.

I like the board the way it is.  Everything is right there on one page, and you can just search if you have a specific question.  Part of the learning is digging around and sorting through threads.

I started my first project 10 years ago, and I made the most of using forums to muddle through some complicated issues.  Most forums have a small core of experts that can can give you a quick and useful reponse, and a good chunk of the rest are people that mean well, but can only offer a weak opinion or "my brother's cousin's girlfried...".  Those are the people that turn good message boards like this into huge, compartmentalized megabites of garbage.  I saw several good ones shoot themselves in the foot by worrying more about hits than letting people help each other.  This one may not have much traffic, but you can ask a question and get a timely, informative response.  Plus, you don't have to scroll to page 5 the next day just to find your thread.

12/20/2011 6:11 am  #32

I would also like to add that there have been numerous times over the years where I have had a problem with a vehicle, and, even being someone with practical knowledge of cars, I found it hard to find a proper place to post my question.

"My car won't run right.  Do I post it in the Eninge, Eletrical System, Fuel System, Exhaust, Air Intake, or Tires ad Wheels Board?"

12/20/2011 8:01 am  #33

37ford,
I respect your view, however. The discussion (me) came up about someone needing to create an all IRS board. Day states, this is an all IRS board. Day started posting about Jag conversion ideas originally. Which is understandable! However if this board is to truly go all IRS, this site will be harder to find info useful for your build. The idea I think is to create an environment where say a modern Mustang guy could come. Or a Corvette guy could come. If more people were to get involved following one string of posts could get pretty deep. The issue of finding Jag posts has and is not a problem here. Which I see is your interest. I may be wrong but the slight changes Day has added, seems already to be helping in adding new members.

When newbies do come here, they need to see more than Jag and Jag and more Jag. If this site were to grow. That is why Day pinned certain titles up front and added various pics. He is still trying to keep it simple however!
IMO
Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy (12/20/2011 8:20 am)

12/20/2011 4:26 pm  #34

I have the thought that if we have sub areas - Topics - that are vehicle specific - within the same singular forum some great use could be made by guests - that become members in their own time. 

Case: As a coevette guy - I drop in see a bunch of good info that is focused on all forms of IRS - info I need.  As my mod progresses I will need a place to  post my mods and fitments, querries, etc  that are specific to my mod for a corvette.  There may be some cross polination - as I see an idea that might fit  - Id be inclined to drop it there - rather than another area - as it has to do with my current project.  For certain I'll want to keep tabs on other approaches with other vehicles - but I'd be looking for my specific solutions first.   Like when I go to some of the Corvette forums - I focus on C3, my version and others second.  But when I search a problem -- BAMM all open threads - thank you very much!

Meanwhile, as I find other bits and pieces - that may or may not be applicible - I'd drop those in the appropriate categories.   For example:
I've been spending a lot of time this last week cruising the Lotus Super Seven boards - "locost"in most cases - USA and UK primarilay.  They all wrestle with IRS design - but from scratch.  Miata, Jag, etc bits are all used in varring degrees of success and keeping costs down.  [The very interesting bit I've seen is Len Terry's Sliding linkage"that is also described in his (and Alan Baker's) book Racing Car Design and Development. That would deserve maybe its own category...sort of "Unique Approaches to IRS"- or something like that.

On the Locost Forums - I'm a Researcher and Lurker - nothing to contribute (until I finish this effort - then maybe build a Locost Racer) - until then, I'm just a quiet guest visiting a library of information. And I thank them for the great discussion and free sharing of info -- not there - but here.  Isn't that sort of the model of  others when they drop in here?

Maybe a section that focuses on definations - a poor man's tutorial on IRS ?  Key definations - RC, IC, roll angle, spring freq, etc.  Not suggesting to copy or replace the texts - but ther is a heap of info on oter sites that applies and merits repeating here too. 

A Category that we could all find useful (especially guests)  is a list of components and resources. Sort of a catch all for the bits and oieces - not advertising - just help mod'ers find what were looking for!  I've been cataloging some and will post during some spare time during the Holidays. (if desired) access to such "secret information - could be restricted to downloads by members only - and build hit and member rates if that is the aim. 

Hope this is none to esoteric - off the wall - just the thoughts of a user - that's glad for the company on these efforts.

Cheers - Jim

Last edited by phantomjock (12/20/2011 4:42 pm)

UNDERCONSTRUCTION! Highly Modified C3 Corvette
         Dual Wishbone IRS w Subframe + Custom Uprights

12/20/2011 7:03 pm  #35

phantomjock wrote:

Case: As a coevette guy - I drop in see a bunch of good info that is focused on all forms of IRS - info I need.  As my mod progresses I will need a place to  post my mods and fitments, querries, etc  that are specific to my mod for a corvette.  There may be some cross polination - as I see an idea that might fit  - Id be inclined to drop it there - rather than another area - as it has to do with my current project.  For certain I'll want to keep tabs on other approaches with other vehicles - but I'd be looking for my specific solutions first.   Like when I go to some of the Corvette forums - I focus on C3, my version and others second.  But when I search a problem -- BAMM all open threads - thank you very much!

Those are good points, but here is the issues. lets say I make a 5 sections to the forum, Ford, Chevy, Mopar, Jaguar and Aftermarket, and you as a Corvette guy go there and post all about your IRS and other corvette guys go there and post about corvette IRS, how is that any different from going to a corvette specific forum and posting???  If I were not the admin and just a Jag IRS guy and I came to an IRS forum that was compartmentalized I would dive in to the Jag section and probably not spend as much time in the other sections.  By having it all together we get the opportunity to compare and contrast all the different IRS options.  If the forum was compartmentalized and I wanted to start a thread looking at all the differences between a Jag IRS and a C4, would I post it in the Jag section or the Chevy section??  I put my Jaguar IRS in a Mustang so would I post that under Jaguar or Ford, see where I am going with this???   

As to the search if you have a specific thing you want to look up like differentials, every IRS has one.  Do a search for "differential Corvette" and  you will get all the threads pertaining to that.

The other issue and this is a big one, there are only 148 topics on this forum for an entire year of posting.  now if we compartmentalized those posts get separated out and now you 5 sections with only 30 threads each. And thats assuming equal posting but we all know the forum is currently Jag heavy so lets say it is 100 Jag threads and only 5 corvette threads then it is even worse.  If I am coming to look at a forum and I see that little activity I am not very likely to look around or post because I do not see an active forum.  The only way this forum will diversify is if more people with "other" make IRS units start posting.  phantomjock I encourage you to post about your project. We need mor non Jag posts on the forum and I would love to see some pix of what you are working on and learn more about the stile of IRS you are working with.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

12/21/2011 7:41 am  #36

I check how many people are on line at the index page. Today I saw 20 visitors, no way! So I clicked index again, this time the page showed 19. Wow!

Ralphy

Board footera