Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

11/26/2011 8:59 am  #1

Hey Ralphy to answer your carrier question

Ralphy wrote:

Day, I see your carrier includes springs. Tom's does away with the springs, reduces plate wear and improves performance.

Can't do that on this type of carrier.  it does not have clutches, the springs are much heavier than normal carrier springs and they alone create the engagement and disengagement.  An Auburn gear carrier is a more solid unit that works better in its lock up ability but still slips when cornering.  the down side is it can not be rebuilt.  I chose it because the average life of one of these carriers is 50,000 to 100,000 miles  (depending on use) than it needs to be replaced and since my car is not a daily driver I will probably never put that many miles on the car.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

11/26/2011 1:16 pm  #2

Re: Hey Ralphy to answer your carrier question

11/27/2011 12:54 am  #3

Re: Hey Ralphy to answer your carrier question

A pretty good summary. 

My general rule is that when there's a Truetrac available, run it.   Absent a specific reason not to run one, a worm-gear torque-biasing diff is preferable to anything else and in typical applications at new-diff prices (that is, unless you can find an OE Torsen, Quaife, etc.) the Truetrac is the most cost-effective worm-gear torque-biasing diff.

Speaking of which...so far as I can tell there aren't any 19-spline Dana 44 Truetracs, they're all 30-spline.  Did any of the later Jags, XJ40, X300, X308 use 30-spline inner drivers?   All the earlier ones are 19-spline, correct?

Last edited by JEM (11/27/2011 12:59 am)

Board footera