Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

11/20/2011 7:55 pm  #1

So JEM what is your take on the Galaxie community??

I got to thinking about how we were talking about the Jag community being closed to "modifications" and was wondering what you thought of the Galaxie community??  I have found them to be open to doing any Ford did but nothing more.  In other words change stuff on the car as long as it was an OEM option, but to put a 302 and T5 in my car like I did was blasphemy.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

11/21/2011 5:12 pm  #2

Re: So JEM what is your take on the Galaxie community??

There's different segments - the largest crowd is mostly into restoration or general maintenance, a lot of low-buck preservation efforts and modest driver improvements, maybe dragstrip/straight-line type modifications - understandable enough given their history.   

There's a custom/cruiser contingent that just wants to lower the things and doesn't care if they can get out of their own way.   I'm not much into that.

There's a few that have fallen into the deep end like me.  Not too many, just a few.  Maybe I'd be happier today if I'd kept the car on the road for the past decade, though things are starting to come back together now.  Sorta.    About the only thing I'd do differently at this point is to run a mildly stroked 428 instead of the 385-series motor.   And maybe figure out how to use someone's 5- or 6-speed automatic behind it instead of a 4R70W.    But I've got those bits so unless I find something else to do with the 525ci 460 - and a pot of money to build a FE - that's what's going in it.

I now have a pair of junkyard Astro Hydraboosts laying on the floor next to my set of eBay Porsche Cayenne calipers.  Getting acquainted, so to speak; if all goes according to plan they're going to be working together.  I'll have to put a pic up over on the galaxie forum once I get one of the calipers trial-fit inside a wheel.  The front calipers are about the size of a small power-pole transformer.

Last edited by JEM (11/21/2011 5:26 pm)

11/21/2011 6:10 pm  #3

Re: So JEM what is your take on the Galaxie community??

You should post a few of your IRS pix over at the galaxie forum as well.  I bet people would be interested.  I think the biggest thing in the Galaxie community is many of them drove a galaxie when they were in high school SOOOO they are either trying to build a car just like the one they drove or they are trying to build the car they wished they had in high school.

Last edited by Daze (11/21/2011 6:12 pm)

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

Board footera