Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

11/10/2011 7:50 am  #1

Watts Links, Spring Locations, etc.

Daze,
I saw the thread where you were asking about an upper watts link on outbaord disc brake hubs.  Have you come to any conclusions on that?  I noticed there are two holes on the top of the hub.  Can those be used for mouting a bracket for a watts link?

I also found this in my searching :

The simplicity is very appealing to me in that there aren't a half dozen links under there to worry with and there is one adustable coilover.  The functionality has been questioned, though.

1.  What would be the better side to have a single shock?  Front or rear?
2.  Is a top mounted watts link really much different than a botton mount?  I realize the point is trying to take the stress off the hub, but is a failure really a possibility in most street applications?  Juaguar designed the unit without an UCA or any other stabilizer on the upper hub, right?
3.  It seems like there would be a lot less room to pull of an upper watts link for most applications.  Can this be a factor?

Last edited by 37ford (11/10/2011 10:08 am)

11/10/2011 9:43 am  #2

11/10/2011 10:01 am  #3

Re: Watts Links, Spring Locations, etc.

That looks like it is made for the older inboard brake hubs.

11/10/2011 10:06 am  #4

Yes it is. Sorry I thought I read in your post that you were interested in the watts for the inner brake also.

11/10/2011 11:21 am  #5

The main thing I was wondering was if the difference in the outboard hub would allow for an easier bolt-on utilizing some of the holes already there.  There are two at the top on the semi-flat area.  I don't know what they were originally intended for.  Plus you have the two dog ears for the brake calipers.

11/10/2011 3:55 pm  #6

37ford wrote:

1.  What would be the better side to have a single shock?  Front or rear?
2.  Is a top mounted watts link really much different than a botton mount?  I realize the point is trying to take the stress off the hub, but is a failure really a possibility in most street applications?  Jaguar designed the unit without an UCA or any other stabilizer on the upper hub, right?
3.  It seems like there would be a lot less room to pull of an upper watts link for most applications.  Can this be a factor?

Watts link both upper and lower is something we have talked about in great detail on the forum.  If you do a search for "watts" you will pull up about 20 different posts.  There is nothing I hate more than posting a question on a forum and some jerk responds with "we have already talked about that do a search" So thats not what I am doing.  Just letting you know there is some good supplemental reading after we discuss it here  

1.  If you go to a Jag forum  and ask where to put the shock, front or rear, they will tell you the only way to do it it to run two. ask me how I know.   I asked this very question once on the Jag lovers forum and they told me I was crazy  and it was the worst idea they ever heard of, (they were almost rude about it)but then of course Jag owners are fiercely passionate about their cars and are working on a complete car that was put together by Jag in a specific way, so their attitude is "the way Jag did it is the only way to do it"  Starting with that bias their responses was that having only one coil over would put unequal forces on the wish bone and causing a twisting motion during compression.  I can see a little truth to that.  Do I think it is enough to matter probably not but it does put extra strain on the wish bone pivots.  My solution is two fold first by running a sway bar on the rear it will provide some downward force that will help balance the system out part way.  Second I am going to use the front location for my single coil over and then after it attaches to the wish bone solidly mount the shock to the trailing arm.  This will not only put the bottom shock mount is double shear but will allow me to have three pivot supports and effectively mounts the shock in the middle of a 3 pivot LCA.  This set up should eliminate any potential twist. here is a thread on the subject

2.  The top and bottom mounted watts are for two totally different purposes.  the bottom Watts is there to stabilize the wishbone like a trailing arm would do.  it eliminates for and aft forces on the arm that put strain on the inner wishbone pivots.  The upper watts link is there for the purpose of stabilizing the top of the hub and eliminating strain where the hub meets the wishbone.  The main reason to run a top watts is to help eliminate wheel hop.  The twisting of the hub caused by acceleration is often deflected by the moving parts of the IRS and is why IRS is prone to wheel hop.  By stabilizing the Hub you eliminate much of this.
older post on top mounted watts

3.  Both watts are hard to do.  The bottom watts is hard to get the correct fit to the frame especially since one of the arms has to be lower than the wish bone.  the upper watts is easier to attach but there are clearance issues, with tire fitment and frame rails.  I contacted the guy that Ralphy linked and mocked up a cardboard version of his set up to see if I could make it clear in my application, but I could not.  I may address it further at a later time, because I do think it is one of those mods that can make a big difference on a street car.

37ford wrote:

The main thing I was wondering was if the difference in the outboard hub would allow for an easier bolt-on utilizing some of the holes already there.  There are two at the top on the semi-flat area.  I don't know what they were originally intended for.  Plus you have the two dog ears for the brake calipers.

The hole you speak of was there for the ABS sensor and I agree that it would be a perfect place to use as one of the attachments for an upper watts.
upper watts link, what if a person used newer hubs

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

11/10/2011 6:57 pm  #7

Ugh!  This is all too complicated!

Thanks for answering my questions.  I've read many of the threads,  but sometimes it's hard to follow everything when you don't know what all everyone is talking about,  who is responging to who,  and there are links to more posts everywhere.  I'm putting it together bit by bit,  but I get less and less confident about tackling this project the more I learn.  Ther just doesn't seem to be an easy way to do it.

11/10/2011 8:31 pm  #8

that is why we are here is to help you weed it all out.  It also is why I made the post about how much is to much.  The good news is it can be put in simply enough.  Just run normal trailing arms and worry about an upper watts later.  Jag rears have been put in countless cars and most do not use a watts link at all.  This can be done, in most cases knowledge is power but here on this forum we tend to over think things. 

11/11/2011 9:50 am  #9

37ford wrote:

Ugh!  This is all too complicated!

When you start to feel overwhelmed think about this.  I started this forum on April 18, 2010 which means those of us who have been here from the beginning have had almost two years to talk about this stuff and throw ideas around.  An IRS install CAN be simple  If you set it up basically the way Jag, Chevy or Ford did, and  you will end up with a quality rear suspension.  If something doesn't make sense we can help and if you decide to "improve" on the OEM design, we can help there as well.   A lot of places say "here buy my kit" or do this and this and this but then aren't there to help after the fact.  This forum is full of helpful people and if you run in to some problems no worries we can help solve them.

11/12/2011 9:06 am  #10

57 ford, Day and all.
I am posting to admit I was wrong.  If you were to run only a LCA the torque during acceleration would pull forward, twisting the LCA around to the front. So if you were to run one coil over it would be best to the rear . I think it was Jim B  that was trying to correct me. The force would be generated from the center of the half shaft I figure. Correct me if I am wrong again?

11/12/2011 1:10 pm  #11

Ralphy wrote:

57 ford, Day and all.
I am posting to admit I was wrong.  If you were to run only a LCA the torque during acceleration would pull forward, twisting the LCA around to the front. So if you were to run one coil over it would be best to the rear . I think it was Jim B  that was trying to correct me. The force would be generated from the center of the half shaft I figure. Correct me if I am wrong again?

honestly I really don't think it matters that much. I think in this particular case we are expecting the IRS to behave like a live axle.  on a live axle the pinion tries to clime the ring gear and because the differential and the axle tubes are a solid piece there is twist at the axle tubes.  This is not the case on an IRS.  the differential is solidly mounted and the same forces are not translated to the hubs or wish bones. 

Wheel hop on the other hand is an issue and that comes from the fore and aft forces on the hub as the wheels try to push the car forward.  That for and aft motion translates to twisting where the hub meats the wish bone but I don't think that much twist travels up the wish bone.  With all that said I don't think spring placement will have that much of an effect on twist in the hubs, especially if an upper watts link is used.

I went back and looked at all the IRS units in "The IRS assembly picture thread" and of all the units that use a single coil over per side a little less than half put the coil over on the front.  I also think putting the spring on one side and the sway bar on the other is also a better way to balance the suspension.

11/14/2011 6:15 am  #12

Day, I do think it is important if you were to have a setup such as Heidt's. http://www.hotrodhardware.com/cartimages/prd_lp_258.jpg  Using only a LCA with one coilover. You mention a sway bar as an aid. However on hard acceleration the sway bar will not offer any resistance and that is when the hub is being brutalized.  I'm answering to 37ford's question, "What would be the better side to have a single shock?  Front or rear?"

Also to 37, I would say, once you ground (fasten) the top side of the hub, you remove almost all the twisting stress.
The nicest Jag aftermarket setup I can think of is built by http://www.cobraracing.com/. 37ford a lower A arm will remove the forward movement below the half shaft making rigid. However the twisting is still there. So an upper link such as a watts removes the twisting. It's a one two punch.

Here is the LCA. http://www.cobraracing.com/IntroZooms/XK2001Zoomed.html

Back to coilover location, once you ground the suspension such as CobraRacing did the shock can really go front or rear. From what I have seen racers prefer front. My thought on that is racers are looking for any edge. Most if not all chassis flex. The further you move the mount toward the bumpers the greater the distance vertical of a given flex. So the closer to center you get, the more usable the motion will be sent through the coilover.  Realistic? I think for the average guy location is not going to help us once you get past the physical correctness. But if your trying to make a correct look or your a true racer, location counts. What say you?

There are guys running a Jag setup with only the lower is it Dog Bone? And both coilovers. I have seen a few myself here in ATL. But what I read, they suffer wheel hop and breaking.

Last edited by Ralphy (11/14/2011 7:11 am)

11/14/2011 8:38 am  #13

So, it seems to me that, if I want to start with a JAG unit, all I need to do is add some LCA stabilizers like the orange ones in Daze's sig pic, an upper watts link, and a sway bar.  This would take care of all the main concers with systemns like these.  Running a sinlg e adjustable coilover is more of a prefernce, and it's location is TBD.

I'm cosidering making a spreadsheet with all the charateristics of an IRS, how each one is addressed, and somehow assign a level of importance based on the different applications.  I could post it here let everyone contribute and argue endlessly.

11/14/2011 9:32 am  #14

Ralphy wrote:

Day, I do think it is important if you were to have a setup such as Heidt's.

Using only a LCA with one coilover. You mention a sway bar as an aid. However on hard acceleration the sway bar will not offer any resistance and that is when the hub is being brutalized.

I should not have said it that way.  it is important, however I do not think it is a critical as other things.  I still believe that most of the twisting happens where the hub meets the LCA and so the spring is not going to have much effect on that.  Think of it like this, as big and strong as the Jag wish bone is, if there is enough force in the system to twist it, the little bit of resistance provided by the coil over is not going to have much effect on stabilizing the system.  Even a 300# coil spring will compress a little bit if you push on it by hand, so thinking of something that is "sprung" as a stabilizer is kind of splitting hares don't you think???   As to the sway bar reducing the twisting caused by only running one coil over, I was not thinking about the fact that the sway bar provides no resistance when both sides of the car are doing the same thing, so you are correct it will not apply when accelerating, I was wrong, my bad.  Kind of funny I had written a full paragraph talking about how the rear suspension will compress a bit during a hard acceleration and how that would add more force through the sway bar, and then I realized what a dork I was.  That what I love about a good debate.  you learn more about a subject by defending your position than you ever do trying to advocate it.

Ralphy wrote:

Also to 37, I would say, once you ground (fasten) the top side of the hub, you remove almost all the twisting stress.
The nicest Jag aftermarket setup I can think of is built by
http://www.cobraracing.com/
37ford a lower A arm will remove the forward movement below the half shaft making rigid. However the twisting is still there. So an upper link such as a watts removes the twisting. It's a one two punch.

And I think that is the key to a great IRS, upper watts.   That upper whats eliminates most wheel hop, stabilizes the hub, and eliminates twisting.  You said in another post  "if you break a half shaft your car is bound to do more damage when that corner collapses"  I think the watts link even solves that.  if the half shaft fails the links will hold the wheel some what upright.

Ralphy wrote:

Realistic? I think for the average guy location is not going to help us once you get past the physical correctness. But if your trying to make a correct look or your a true racer, location counts. What say you?

There are guys running a Jag setup with only the lower is it Dog Bone? And both coilovers. I have seen a few myself here in ATL. But what I read, they suffer wheel hop and breaking.

for a street car I still don't think the coil over location will make much difference.  Good news for me is I will have the opportunity to do some real world experiments on the subject.  The way I put my set up together I can run the my coil overs on the front or the back.  (there is a host of reasons why I chose the front which I have already stated)  any way I will be able to set the car up one way and go for drive then change and run the same "course" with the coil over at the rear.  my prediction is that it will not make any difference for a street car

37ford wrote:

So, it seems to me that, if I want to start with a JAG unit, all I need to do is add some LCA stabilizers like the orange ones in Daze's sig pic, an upper watts link, and a sway bar.

yes and no.  What you have listed is a fantastic set up and probably one of the best configurations available for a DIY system, but the need for the upper watts is  more dependent on application.  For over 40 years Jaguar put out IRS units in millions of cars.  today those cars are street driven, raced, and everything in between and 99.9% of those aren't going to have an upper watts.  I am not trying to negate the importance of an upper watts.  It is a performance upgrade that becomes more necessary as HP goes up.  I just want to make sure that you and others who may read this post  know that a quality IRS system can be put together with out it.

37ford wrote:

I'm considering making a spreadsheet with all the characteristics of an IRS, how each one is addressed, and somehow assign a level of importance based on the different applications.  I could post it here let everyone contribute and argue endlessly.

I am all for it, especially the endless arguing part

11/14/2011 10:58 am  #15

OK Day does this pic ring a visual bell?

Once you give up, click here and scroll down.
http://www.tbucketeers.com/topic/11477-anybody-runing-a-vette-rear-end/

Last edited by Daze (11/14/2011 3:33 pm)

11/14/2011 3:33 pm  #16

I new what it was similar to as soon as I saw it.  question is what are you trying to tell me by showing it??

11/17/2011 8:03 pm  #17

I am new to this forum and I was hoping that I might be able to get a little (a lot) of advice and direction on a project that I would like to undertake.  I currently own a Contemporary Cobra with a Jag IRS with in-board disk brakes.  I want to change to outboard disc brakes and add a Watts linkage to my car over the winter.  Daze - I found a post on Club Cobra where you were corresponding with Mickmate (Nick) and some others about a Watts linkage that would attach to the Jag hub  - referenced above.  Nick lives in NH and has done a lot of work on my car and will be helping me with this project.  I am thinking about going with the XJ40 hub carriers as they will allow me to convert to outboard disk brakes and the top is flat which will make it easier to add a bracket for a Watts linkage - Similar to how the ERA Cobras work.  I tried to put a link but since this is my first post, I cannot.   I took the letters off the link so hopefully it will work: erareplicas.com/427/frsusp.htm. 
I noticed that that there are two different carriers - one for 88/89 and one for 90 to 94.  They both look the same but the pricing, if I were to purchase these new, is significantly different.  Anything I should be watching out for?  Also, I am getting a bit confused with some of terms - sorry, I am a real newbee.  Is the stub axle the part that goes into the hub and connects to the half shaft with a U-joint?  Would it be possible to know if the stub axles currently in my Cobra will fit into the XJ40 hubs?  Also, what about rotors?  Would it be easier to buy something like the Brembo OEM rotors or are there better solutions?  I couldn't find anything on the Wilwood website.

I am sure the deeper I get into this, the more questions I will have but I didn't want to write a novel my first time out.  Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

11/18/2011 5:38 am  #18

Day,
I remember you saying you liked that cantilevered yellow design. I saw the other design without the cantilever and though you would like it. I love the easy toe setting!

Hey Mongoose, you now make two Cobra guys here.

Last edited by Ralphy (11/18/2011 5:39 am)

11/18/2011 8:58 am  #19

Mongoose930 wrote:

I want to change to outboard disc brakes and add a Watts linkage to my car over the winter.  Daze - I found a post on Club Cobra where you were corresponding with Mickmate (Nick) and some others about a Watts linkage that would attach to the Jag hub  - referenced above.  Nick lives in NH and has done a lot of work on my car and will be helping me with this project.  I am thinking about going with the XJ40 hub carriers as they will allow me to convert to outboard disk brakes and the top is flat which will make it easier to add a bracket for a Watts linkage - Similar to how the ERA Cobras work.  I tried to put a link but since this is my first post, I cannot.   I took the letters off the link so hopefully it will work: www.erareplicas.com/427/frsusp.htm. 
I noticed that that there are two different carriers - one for 88/89 and one for 90 to 94.  They both look the same but the pricing, if I were to purchase these new, is significantly different.  Anything I should be watching out for?  Also, I am getting a bit confused with some of terms - sorry, I am a real newbee.  Is the stub axle the part that goes into the hub and connects to the half shaft with a U-joint?  Would it be possible to know if the stub axles currently in my Cobra will fit into the XJ40 hubs?  Also, what about rotors?  Would it be easier to buy something like the Brembo OEM rotors or are there better solutions?  I couldn't find anything on the Wilwood website.

I am sure the deeper I get into this, the more questions I will have but I didn't want to write a novel my first time out.  Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

First of all WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!  Second, you are the second person who said you could not post a link.  there are know restrictions on links so please tell me what you tried to do and what kind of an error you were getting.  Third Nick is a great guy and was trying to help me make his watts link work for my application but we ran in to clearance issues.  I am still going to pursue it for my application, but will need to figure some things out.  As to your break questions all of the outboard discs hubs are basically the same.  The early Xj40 units and the more modern XJ8 units look the same.  So I am not sure what if any the differences are except price.  which one are you finding to be more expensive???  Never apologize for asking questions.  Just because you may think it basic doesn't make it any less valid.
Stub axle:  splined shaft that goes in the hub.
Half shaft:  entire axle from the differential to the hub including the stub axle
drive axle:  Axle that connects to the half shaft and goes in to the differential.

Your current stub axles will not fit in to the newer hubs.  You will need the more modern stub axle but I was not able to find just the stub axle and had to buy the entire half shaft.  Good news is the newer half shaft will replace the older half shaft and  bolt in directly to the drive axle unless you have had your half shafts narrowed.  If that is the case you will either need to have the newer half shaft narrowed OR use a mismatch u-joint to connect the newer stub axle to the older half shaft.  As for as rotors it really depends on what you want to do.  I found new vented rotors for a reasonable price so there are lots of options.  Once again welcome to the forum.

11/18/2011 9:00 am  #20

Ralphy wrote:

Day,
I remember you saying you liked that cantilevered yellow design. I saw the other design without the cantilever and though you would like it. I love the easy toe setting!

Hey Mongoose, you now make two Cobra guys here.

OK that makes sense. a lot of times the pictures you post are to illustrate a point or concept so I was trying to figure out what you were trying to tell me with the other pic.

11/18/2011 11:02 am  #21

Daze wrote:

I asked this very question once on the Jag lovers forum and they told me I was crazy  and it was the worst idea they ever heard of, (they were almost rude about it)but then of course Jag owners are fiercely passionate about their cars and are working on a complete car that was put together by Jag in a specific way, so their attitude is "the way Jag did it is the only way to do it"

Y'know, I just found this comment, and I have to say...based on my limited experience, you're being very, very kind to the Jag community with that remark.

Indeed, one of the things that always held me back from any thought of Jag ownership has been the relative lack of technical expertise and mechanical curiosity in the Jag 'net universe.    Compared to the BMW community there's just nothing there, and what is is too often based on wives' tales and in some cases - as you noted - the fantastical belief that somehow the factory way is always the best way.   

Let's be clear here, we're talking about a company that's managed to do a number of things right over the years, but which was (at least until Ford came along) somewhere between undercapitalized and shoestring in many of its operations and which certainly wasn't above cutting a few corners or continuing to peddle suboptimal product because they couldn't aford to do anything else.

It's important to understand why an OE would do something a certain way - usually is is in fact the right way, or at least a right way - but cost, manufacturing considerations, or other factors can sometimes get in the way of the factory doing it better.

Just eyeballing the rear arms it appears to me that the biggest limitation in running a single spring/shock assembly (after all, the XJ40 does) is the single-shear mounting of the coilover to the arm.

Last edited by JEM (11/18/2011 11:09 am)

11/18/2011 12:00 pm  #22

LOL! ,
They would have a field day roasting me. You have guys at Club Cobra doing the same. Trying to replicate their cars to look like an original and wanting to poo poo any original different idea. They make me somewhat laugh, see because maybe the gauges are correct and the seats look exact. No race Cobra had that perfect paint and the shelby had a unique leaf spring suspension that no replica has. Most of these cars were very rough looking, so? Anyhow I enjoy the Brit's and Austrailians, they write their own rules. I enjoy every idea I see. It may not be my cup of tea, but I see the beauty. As you know I throw all sorts of ideas out there, by doing so and investgating I also have learned lots about the how and why's. So in the end I wonder, how much do you think many of the purists know the why's of their own suspension?

Now take it a step further. I origanally became interested in buying a car. I knew a individual who had a Cobra, so I tried to befriend him and ask questions. I recieved very little input and a lot of lip. So I went on my way. Low and behold after I bought my car, now this person wishes to have his nose up my (sorry) ass. Always looking to add some negative comment. I talk to this person as little as possible. Why are some people like this?

Last edited by Ralphy (11/18/2011 12:15 pm)

11/18/2011 4:04 pm  #23

I run into the same Purist Tunnel Vision on one van forum once in awhile. I mean these rigs I like have the technology of a push lawn mower so I like changing it up!  I will be keeping it pretty basic on what Im working on right now . But if I feel I have gotten the hang of it somewhat I may try setting something more creative up for my current driver.
"It's important to understand why an OE would do something a certain way - usually is is in fact the right way, or at least a right way - but cost, manufacturing considerations, or other factors can sometimes get in the way of the factory doing it better."
I figured this out looking at the cast hub design on the one Im refitting. A little more material in the right places could go along ways.

11/18/2011 8:54 pm  #24

JEM wrote:

Y'know, I just found this comment, and I have to say...based on my limited experience, you're being very, very kind to the Jag community with that remark.

Indeed, one of the things that always held me back from any thought of Jag ownership has been the relative lack of technical expertise and mechanical curiosity in the Jag 'net universe.    Compared to the BMW community there's just nothing there, and what is is too often based on wives' tales and in some cases - as you noted - the fantastical belief that somehow the factory way is always the best way.

At one point I would have agreed with you fully, but then I found Jag-lover forum.  Yes there are some extremists there and true it was the members of Jag-lovers  who told me my "one coil-over" idea was crazy but there are also some really helpful guys there.  After I spent a little time at Jag lovers I realized that they were just guys who really love their cars.  Most were all about originality but there were a few that wanted to "improve" things, and even the purists were helpful when I asked a question that they has specific knowledge about.  In some ways I almost feel bad for them, they do not have the luxury that we in the Mustang community have of such a large following and forum options.   

JEM wrote:

Just eyeballing the rear arms it appears to me that the biggest limitation in running a single spring/shock assembly (after all, the XJ40 does) is the single-shear mounting of the coil-over to the arm.

I don't like the single shear even with two shocks.  that is something I am planning on fixing on my set up.  the top and bottom will get "modified" double sheer.

Ralphy wrote:

LOL! ,
They would have a field day roasting me. You have guys at Club Cobra doing the same. Trying to replicate their cars to look like an original and wanting to poo poo any original different idea. They make me somewhat laugh, see because maybe the gauges are correct and the seats look exact. No race Cobra had that perfect paint and the shelby had a unique leaf spring suspension that no replica has. Most of these cars were very rough looking, so? Anyhow I enjoy the Brit's and Austrailians, they write their own rules. I enjoy every idea I see. It may not be my cup of tea, but I see the beauty. As you know I throw all sorts of ideas out there, by doing so and investgating I also have learned lots about the how and why's. So in the end I wonder, how much do you think many of the purists know the why's of their own suspension?

I am sure a similar thing is going to happen in the Mustang community, now that dynacorn is making full Mustang bodies I am sure there are those that will turn their noses up at them.

Digz wrote:

"It's important to understand why an OE would do something a certain way - usually is is in fact the right way, or at least a right way - but cost, manufacturing considerations, or other factors can sometimes get in the way of the factory doing it better."
I figured this out looking at the cast hub design on the one Im refitting. A little more material in the right places could go along ways.

The factory was is always a good way but almost never the best way.

11/20/2011 6:06 pm  #25

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the welcome and I really appreciate your clarification on the Jag rear suspension terms.  When I tried to post the links, I got a response stating that until I had at least two posts, I could not attach links in order to prevent spam. It happened again when I tried to post this message so I will repost with the links shortly.

I am surprised that there are not more Cobra guys on this site.  The Jag set up is great but without a Watts linkage or control arms, these high horsepower cars with sticky tires are bound to break something out back.  Nick is a great guy - I pretty much spent my entire summer at his shop getting my Cobra up and running.  I'm working with Nick now to figure out the best way to add a Watts linkage to the XJ40 hubs.  I am changing to these hubs since I want to go with the outboard disc brakes.  I am also looking for a way to attach trailing arms to the hub or lower control arms so that the hub is secured from the top and bottom.  I also want to add ERA type "Fail Safe Axle" design which can be seen at the bottom of the attached link:

I have also attached link to a video which shows a Watts linkage in conjunction with a lower control arm.  This is what I would ultimately like to have on my cobra but with outboard discs:

I do have a few other questions.  What do you mean by single versus double sheer for the shocks?  Also, can anyone recommend a good resource that would have information on rebuilding the Jag rear suspension?

Thanks again.

11/20/2011 6:09 pm  #26

11/20/2011 7:35 pm  #27

Mongoose930 wrote:

I am surprised that there are not more Cobra guys on this site.

I would assume that a lot of them don't now about this forum.  As the Admin I don't think it would be appropriate for me to post on other forums to get the word out so I rely on the postings of others.

Mongoose930 wrote:

I do have a few other questions.  What do you mean by single versus double sheer for the shocks?  Also, can anyone recommend a good resource that would have information on rebuilding the Jag rear suspension?

single sheer vrs double sheer means how many supports a bolt has.  example if you have a single plate welded to the chassis and a bolt going through it, then through the shock and then a nut that would be single sheer because the bolt is supported by only one plate,  but if you weld two plates to the chassis so there is a plate on each side of the shock so that the shock bolt is supported on both sides  that puts the bolt in double sheer and is more than twice as strong.

as to the Jag rebuild I can say with some certainty that you have not seen my personal web page go to www.dazecars.com there are 5 different pages on my IRS install and most of the rebuild is covered there.

11/21/2011 5:28 pm  #28

Hi Daze,

Thanks for the clarification on the single versus double sheer set-up.  Also, I started to check out your re-build process and found it very interesting.  I will be spending a lot more time on your website.

I have a line on a 94 XJ40 set-up that would give me the outboard disc brakes that I want.  I will be working with Mickmate to come up with a bolt on Watts linkage for the top of the hubs. 

I  was hoping that you could give me some advice with regards to forward trailing arms or radius arms - sorry, still learning the lingo.  In short, I want to stabilize the bottom of the hubs by running a rod from the hub or LCA forward to a point on the frame.  Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.  I went to some of the popular IRS sites but didn't see where they sold a trailing arm setup.

Also, I would be happy to post a link to your site on Club Cobra if you have no objections.

Thanks.

11/21/2011 6:27 pm  #29

Mongoose930 wrote:

I  was hoping that you could give me some advice with regards to forward trailing arms or radius arms - sorry, still learning the lingo.  In short, I want to stabilize the bottom of the hubs by running a rod from the hub or LCA forward to a point on the frame.  Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.  I went to some of the popular IRS sites but didn't see where they sold a trailing arm setup.

Also, I would be happy to post a link to your site on Club Cobra if you have no objections.

Thanks.

There are two common ways to do trailing arms.  You can run them from the wishbones forward to the frame where the trailing arm is perpendicular to the wish bone.  this is how Jaguar did it and is an effective, however it is not IMHO the beat way to do it.  If the trailing arm is perpendicular to the wishbone it is moving in a different arc than the wishbone which means if it was solidly mounted it would bind.  to eliminate this issue Jag used big rubber bushings that can flex.  the problem I have with that is that same flexing can happen when the trailing arm is supporting the wishbone. 

The way I prefer is the way illustrated in my signature pic,  the trailing arms are in orange.   In that set up the bushings are eliminated or replaced with polly and the inner pivot is in line with the wishbone inner pivot.  This puts the arm and the bone moving in the same arch witch fully supports the wishbone but eliminates any bind that you would have with different arcs.

By all means post a link I am all for getting the word out.

11/21/2011 7:12 pm  #30

That makes perfect sense.  Now that I look at your signature drawing, I see exactly how the arc is removed when the suspension travels in the vertical plane.  I take it these are usually fabricated or does someone sell brackets, bushings, rods, etc? 

Thanks so much - this really helps.

Board footera