Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

11/01/2011 12:43 pm  #1

advice needed, I am thinking of ditching the trailing arms

I have been thinking a lot about tubular LCAs and also about the toe adjustable LCAs on this aftermarket IRS

As it stands now my current trailing arms are going to be rigidly mounted to the wishbones as I am going to weld in a second pickup off of the trailing arm to line up with the bottom shock mount for the purpose of taking said mount out of single sheer.  This got me thinking why not simply make tubular lower control arms that incorporate the trailing arm location, that I have built in to my system,  as part of the control arm.  in other words eliminates the trailing arm   all together and have the  LCA connected in 3 locations.  The following picture is a ruff example of what I am thinking of doing. 

As to the purple line I have three options there.

1.   For the sake of the pic, make it red.  in other words weld it in solid and put heim joints at the hub so I have some toe adjustment.
2.  Make the purple line an adjustable link that ties back in to the control arm, like in the picture above, so that I can easily adjust toe.
3.  Make the purple line an adjustable link that ties back in to my sub frame some where near the differential to be able to adjust toe and create a little rear steer.

Right now I am just rattling around ideas.  My current plan is to build a fixture based off of my current trailing arm and wishbone configuration that way I can put the car together with the current set up and then fabricate my tubular lower control arms at a later date.  As I am in the planning stage I would love to get some input on these ideas.  SOOOOO what do you think

Last edited by Daze (11/01/2011 1:56 pm)

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

11/01/2011 1:58 pm  #2

Re: advice needed, I am thinking of ditching the trailing arms

Hmmm....... I never gave that design much thought, where does your shock mount. That uses the UCA .

11/01/2011 2:16 pm  #3

Just like my current set up I will just be using one and it will go in the same relative location as the front mount on the wishbone.  I was looking at the pic again of the aftermarket unit and I noticed the adjustable link is on the front side of the hub.  I would guess that that adds in a bit of anti-squat by allowing the hub to rotate just a little when you accelerate coming out of a turn (similar to the arning design.  If I put the adjustable link in the back I am not sure if it will have the same effect. hmmmmmm

11/01/2011 3:03 pm  #4

I was wondering if you had the front and back confused.

11/01/2011 4:05 pm  #5

OK assuming they have the adjustable link on the front for a reason, I could do something like this (the blue dot is the coil over)

Thoughts???

Board footera