Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

10/28/2011 7:20 am  #1

IRS Toe/ Squat/Dive

I once remember reading another board where a guy was asking, why it seemed his light  weight British car seemed to sit at different heights  when he parked it. No one answered his question, but it seemed to me the answer was to much toe-in and a very light car, it was causing  the rear wheels to want to walk inward.

So now I'm thinking if toe-in can cause ride height issuss for him, how does it relate to any vehicales ride quality? Also, how does it relate to anti-squat. Seems increased toe-in may add anti-squat. Likewise the opposite if you were to get toe-out under braking, will this add anti-dive?  Will toe-in make for a firmer ride?  So if you were to have a setup as Duane has, is this something you get in the design?

10/28/2011 4:43 pm  #2

Re: IRS Toe/ Squat/Dive

my experience with toe is as little as possible is ideal.  In most cases toe is in there to compensate for the natural spreading of the tires during driving.  Extra toe causes tire scrubbing and harsh unresponsive suspension, at least in the front.  It is an interesting idea, and I think it might effect squat and dive however I think there a lot better ways to add it.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

10/29/2011 5:53 am  #3

I'm not suggesting to add it. Just an observation, thinking it is there. As to how many ft. lbs. I don't know. I'm thinking  tha  if you were to set the rear toe at zero, you would have more squat than if you were to say have 1/8" toe-in. Also if you had a roll/steer design like Arnings, you would have it.

Day are you understanding my point?  Am I making any sense? I guess you do since you mentioned tire scrub.

Last edited by Ralphy (10/29/2011 6:05 am)

10/29/2011 9:43 am  #4

well I understood your point, but didn't.  Yes I understood that toe would have an effect on squat and dive, and that changing it and setting it  in the most optimal setting it is import for the correct suspension characteristic, but I mis understood why you were asking.  I thought you wanted to dial in an extreme toe to get a certain suspension characteristic.  Good to talk about all this stuff, I love it!!!

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

Board footera