Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

11/10/2010 7:47 pm  #1

Got my swaybar half way mocked up. The end link and mounts are done.

I am still making good progress on my install.  I got to working on the OEM Mustang front Swaybar to Jag IRS rear sway bar conversion.  I decided the best way to get it mounted up was to use the factory machining on the arms.  Since the boss for the trailing arm is cast in both sides of the arm I decided to use it.  I started by center punching the back side of arm, opposite of the boss.

I then drilled a pilot hole

and enlarged it.

from there I used a little invention of mine that I like to call a "square tap".  It helps start the tap and insure that it is square in the hole.

once I had the tap started I removed the "square tap" and finished taping the hole.

I mocked up the sway bar using a heim joints, and liked how it looked and fit. 

I then turned my attention to making a mount that was more solid. I came up with this design.  It attaches to the hole I threaded and is welded to the spacer I need between the arm and the shock to match the width of the upper mounts.

As you can see the mount fits really well, and the end links provide just enough clearance.

The only thing I have left to do is fab up the main body mounts for the bar.  I figured out how I want to do it, hopefully tomorrow is a good day, and I get it done.  As you can see I have the main mounts bolted to the bar with a steel plate on the bottom and now all I have to do is build the support structure around them.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

11/11/2010 7:56 pm  #2

Re: Got my swaybar half way mocked up. The end link and mounts are done.

The "Square Tap" ... simply brilliant. I like the sway bar end link bracket. It has the look like it came from the factory that way or at least should have. I see you have some more of that cage attached to the back also. I was showing my brother some of your latest photos and we are both curious if you're planning to run the stock Jag jackplate? 

If it's worth building ... it's worth over building

11/12/2010 7:40 am  #3

Re: Got my swaybar half way mocked up. The end link and mounts are done.

Joe wrote:

The "Square Tap" ... simply brilliant. I like the sway bar end link bracket. It has the look like it came from the factory that way or at least should have. I see you have some more of that cage attached to the back also. I was showing my brother some of your latest photos and we are both curious if you're planning to run the stock Jag jackplate? 

Thanks!!!  I am planning to use the stock jack plate... however after all the time I spent straightening it, I don't think I will ever put a jack to it.  The jack plate and tie bars are all I used from the original cage.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

Board footera