Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

10/13/2010 9:34 am  #1

Kit Car Question

Still looking into a kit car. Wife wants a Cobra and the builder (Factory Five) allows the use of an IRS and drivetrain out of the newer ThunderBirds. I also noticed that the same IRS also comes from a Lincoln. Not knowing if I'm going to increase the horsepower of the stock engine till I would see the performance in the lighter kit car. Should I serch out the larger rear end just in case I do increase the power or since it will be in a lighter vehicle don't worry about it? thanx in advance.

10/13/2010 10:03 am  #2

Re: Kit Car Question

The 8.8 is almost as strong as the 9" so getting the larger rear end is going to give you more options.  I would assume that the rest of the parts are the same, and if so you could get what ever you can find and then look in to upgrading when/if needed.  The biggest issues will be $$ and parts availability I would assume there is more offered for the 8.8 than the 7.5 in the aftermarket.  If you can get the smaller 7.5 rear end assembly for less than an 8.8, it may be worth while, but my gut says go with the 8.8 to start with.  Stronger is almost always better.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

10/15/2010 10:10 pm  #3

Re: Kit Car Question

I would not worry to much about breaking parts...................yet!

Board footera