Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

7/20/2012 12:29 pm  #1

CV joints on jag IRS?

on October 12, 2010, 6:29 pm, Slammy wrote:

Hey guys i build custom trucks with air ride suspension and recently picked up an 83 jag IRS for a project.

Problem i have noticed is that it doesnt get much travel, about 8" just eyeballing it. The ujoints are binding up on themselves. Id like atleast 10" if possible.

I was planning on basically only using the diff, building new uprights and upper and lower control arms and using CVs. Has anyone done this?

Also what about brake upgrades? Id like to run vented discs. The factory stuff looks kinda feeble to me lol

Thanks guys, ill for sure post pics once i get going on it!

on October 12, 2010, 8:40 pm, Daze wrote:

Welcome to the forum!!!!
As I said in my email I do not know of a CV conversion kit. I got to thinking about it however and I know the later Jag cars as well as the t-bird/mark VIII use CV joints SO you may be able to use a modern half shaft. the only trick will be bolting it up to the diff as they are splined on both ends. I would check with your local driveline shop.

As far as the brakes, if you upgrade to modern outboard discs you can get them in the vented verity.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

Board footera