Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

10/21/2011 6:44 pm  #1

IRS Newbe, lots of questions so little time...

on July 26, 2010, 8:28 pm, 27TMike wrote:

Daze, I discovered your IRS How-To for your Mustang and I'm using it as a bible for my 27T coupe project. Building this car has been a lifelong wish and I think I am finally going to get it started.

I got my hands on a 1985 XJ6 IRS and have been reading everything I can find about it... Your information is by far the most complete and understandable I've found. Thanks!

I have a couple questions that relate more to the ModelT than the IRS and I hope you can help. BTW I'm treating the IRS rebuild as a separate project.

My main question: The original track width of the ModelT was 55" (i hope it was flange to flange but I'm not sure). What would you suggest I shorten the IRS too?

I've also seen it suggested that the ModelT be built on a ModelA frame. What do you think? Does the T body sit on the A frame properly or would a good custom T frame work just as well?

The area I live in doesn't have a lot of Street Rod enthusiasts and have had to resort to my own ingenuity. I did enjoy building a 32’ Ford 25 years ago but the 27T is my dream…

Thanks for any help!

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

10/21/2011 6:47 pm  #2

Re: IRS Newbe, lots of questions so little time...

on July 26, 2010, 9:46 pm, Daze wrote:

First of all WELCOME to the forum!!! got any pictures of your project??

My main question: The original track width of the ModelT was 55" (i hope it was flange to flange but I'm not sure). What would you suggest I shorten the IRS too?

I can't answer that question with out more info. First you need to verify the actual width of the T axle from hub to hub. I know later ford axles did not include the brake drums as part of the axle housing width. I am not familiar with first and second generation Fords.

Second of all you need to decide what your wheel and tire plans are for the car, and if there is going to be any width to the wheels and tires you need to figure out the correct width of the rear end to properly place the wheels and make sure they clear fenders, inner fenders, or any other parts of the car.

I've also seen it suggested that the ModelT be built on a ModelA frame. What do you think? Does the T body sit on the A frame properly or would a good custom T frame work just as well?

That I don't know. I am not familiar with the differences between these two cars so I can not say. if the cars use the same wheelbase and track width than I can only guess that the A frame is simply stronger, but I really don't know.

If you have more questions please don't hesitate to ask, I look forward to getting to know you through the forum.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

Board footera