Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

6/30/2011 5:49 am  #1

Learned The Value Of Good Shocks

Went to Discount Tire the other day. Had my tires rotated and balanced. Both fronts were cupped on the inside. Now I know the Ford Sport Trac gen1 has very soft suspension new from the factory. Mine now has 129,000 miles. The store worker said cupping can be caused by many things. But after I left the thought came to me knowing Sport Trac shocks suck. Well I ordered four new HD units and replaced them yesterday. I repacked my wheel bearings and adjusted the preload, no suspect wear seen. When I got the old dampers out it took maybe 20 lbs. to move them, slap worn out.

My driving is probably around 90% highway on new concrete which is a really good grinder. I figure there are at least three types of wheel motion. First are those dips in the road you easily notice. Second are the pot hole trauma bumps, the ones you wonder maybe now is a good time for a wheel alignment. Then last is the motion you barely notice, doing speed down a fast road. Tires constantly moving to the minor variations, blasting away! You ride in comfort not feeling a thing. But your suspension is working it's ass off. With every little movement your tires (track) are also going in and out. On concrete it's a rolling grinder for tires. So with bad shocks you get increased motion and you eat up your tires.

Needless to say I wore out a set of tires in two years 45,000 miles. Same tire as original that I had gotten 80,000 plus miles on.

Last edited by Ralphy (6/30/2011 5:55 am)

Board footera