Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

1/02/2016 1:03 pm  #1

New member from Cartersville, GA

Hello, and thanks for allowing me to join this forum! I own a hot rod shop that deals mostly with American musclecars, and I'm glad to see a foum dedicated to IRS installation and modification. I am currently working on a 1972 AMC Gremlin "X" with my son, which will be powered by a 5.7 Gen3 Hemi with a T56 Magnum 6 speed. We purchased a Control Freak bolt-in IFS unit for it, since handling is going to be a primary focus, and the Hemi doesn't leave much room for a conventional steering box, but debated for a long time over what to do with the rear suspension. We considered the typical 9" Ford rear with a triangulated 4 link, or even a 3-link, but decided instead to go with IRS. A friend was replacing the Dana 44 center section and bat wing in his twin turbo Viper with a 9"- based center about a year ago, and offered it for sale for a decent price. I had bought it as a possible upgrade for my '81 Corvette, but considering the narrow bat wing and strength decided to use it in the Gremlin. We had no hubs or suspension, so I then purchased a complete, low mileage C4 IRS (Dana 36) from Carroll's Corvette (only about 20 miles from my shop). I worked out the basics of the swap on Thursday, after the C4 rear was purchased, and then while doing research later, found out that someone had done a similar swap on a BMW E30.
Our installation will be very similar to it. I have lots of car building experience, but I have never dealt with anything but repairsrebuilding of IRS units. I have a lot to learn regarding the geometry, and I'm hoping that some of that type of information will be found here. I plan to search here first, but if anyone can suggest other sources for that type of information I would be very appreciative. 

Joe Hinds
Bulldawg Musclecars Restoration & Performance, Inc.
www.bulldawgmusclecars.com
770-570-7960

1/08/2016 5:51 pm  #2

Re: New member from Cartersville, GA

Welcome aboard. Can't wait to see pics.
I have a 59 El Camino I put a jag irs into. It's not at a drivable state yet as it is undergoing a frame off restoration.
Good luck with your project!

1/09/2016 3:00 pm  #3

4/03/2016 7:49 pm  #4

Re: New member from Cartersville, GA

Hi, I am new here also. I also have a 1972 AMC Gremlin X and am very interested in how your project goes! I would like to convert my gremlin to IRS at some point as well!

Board footera