Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

4/29/2015 7:31 am  #1

C4 Corvette IRS install help

I'm new here. Glad I found this place. I'm in the middle of installing a 1994 C4 D44 IRS in a 51 Chevy truck. I've got a few questions to ask before I can go any farthur. 

Are the half shafts perfectly perpendicular to the drive shaft or are they angled back a bit?

I've read that they are to be angled back at the wheel about 1/2" over the length of the half shaft. I've seen some installs where they are perpendicular and angle down 2-3 degrees.

Is the input yoke on the carrier centered between the wheels or hub faces?

Thanks for the help! I'm in the fabbing stage right now and would like to get things right as best I can.    

4/30/2015 2:28 am  #2

Re: C4 Corvette IRS install help

Another question I have is the angle of the dog bones. I see that the top link is supposed to be 6.2 degrees up. Since the CG is going to be higher than that of the Vette, I was thinking of installing them at about 10-12 degrees. The attachment to the frame would be much cleaner looking raised up a bit.

4/30/2015 2:28 am  #3

Greetings and Welcome Aboard!

Sorry I'm not a C4-guy so can't answer that for you.    Here are a few from a search iover at the VetteMod site - may help - but to virew pics you'll need to sign up. 

http://vettemod.com/forum/search.php?searchid=247470&pp=25&page=3

A very helpful and friendly "Mob" over there too.

Cheers Jim

UNDERCONSTRUCTION! Highly Modified C3 Corvette
         Dual Wishbone IRS w Subframe + Custom Uprights

4/30/2015 2:31 am  #4

MRGJNV wrote:

Another question I have is the angle of the dog bones. I see that the top link is supposed to be 6.2 degrees up. Since the CG is going to be higher than that of the Vette, I was thinking of installing them at about 10-12 degrees. The attachment to the frame would be much cleaner looking raised up a bit.

One thing you'll be "messing with there" is the Anti-Squat.  Could give you some characteristics you may not like - or maybe not.  Would bneed some analysis.
http://www.vettemod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=327

Cheers - Jim

UNDERCONSTRUCTION! Highly Modified C3 Corvette
         Dual Wishbone IRS w Subframe + Custom Uprights

Board footera