Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

1/16/2015 1:18 pm  #1

IRS design question: anti squat

New here and have a quick question:
Assume an irs with unequal upper and lower a-arms and cv axles.
What would be a good starting point for anti squat? 2 deg sound right?
Would both the upper and lower a-arm mounts be set with 2 deg or just the upper?
And am I right understanding right  that the forward end of the a-arm inner mount would be angled upward for anti squat?

Thanks
Cheers
Greg

1/19/2015 7:31 am  #2

Re: IRS design question: anti squat

I think both arms need to be angled, espacially if your upright joints can't twist.

I didn't put any antisquat in my Cobra IRS. I was more after cornering stability than quarter mile times. With the low CG and stiffis suspension, the squat isn't bad like it was in my old 280Z.

I don't think FFR has any either.

What are you using for an upright?

1/19/2015 4:05 pm  #3

Thanks for the response Luce. My irs is a scratch build project using a Ford 9" center section.
I am using 1985 Buick Riviera front wheel drive uprights and cv axles.
I'll post some pics an more info later.

Cheers
Greg

1/25/2015 8:14 am  #4

Wow. I didn't realize that vintage riviera was FWD. Buick was sort of a grandma line back then so I didn't pay them any attention.

One difficulty you may run into, the pick up point for your toe link is critial in 2 dimensions. If you're off, you'll have rear bump steer, and that can be very unsettling.

I don't know if those uprights were front or rear steer, but I would use the with the toe link to the rear, so any control arm bushing compliance gives you understeer rather than oversteer.

You can see what I did here.  http://www.lonestarclassics.com/lscbb3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1861&hilit=IRS

1/25/2015 8:48 am  #5

Thanks for the info Luce. I think I've got the toe link aspect covered in theory, but haven't fabbed the lower arms yet. The uprights are front steer and the toe link will be fastened to the lower arm and be in the same plane as the lower arm as it connects to the steering arm of the upright.
I'll try to post a few pics .
Thanks for the link.It's very informative and helpful.

Cheers
Greg

Board footera