Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

12/07/2014 11:44 pm  #1

viper rear

I'm starting to build a pro-touring dodge and want to stay true to the brand by using a viper rear axel.Where can I find the dimensions for the rear? Thank in advance

12/08/2014 11:07 am  #2

Re: viper rear

Thats a tall order.  being a high end car there are not a lot of those parts, used, out on the market so finding measurement will be tough.  I respect and appreciate the desire to stay true to the brand!!  If you cant find a viper rear end the Jag IRS might be the next best option.  The entire system was made by Spicer here in the states and the actual differential is basically a dana 44.  I know lots of Dodges run the Dana 44 so its a bit of a stretch but maybe an option??

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

1/02/2015 9:32 am  #3

Re: viper rear

I think the Viper upright uses the Dakota 4x4 front wheel cartrige bearing. And there are a ton of wrecked Vipers. There are a few ebay sellers that specialize in dismantling them. A Dodge salesman told me 6 years ago that about 20% of them come back totalled within 3 months, and half of thhe time, the buyer get's another.

An option I don't see explored a lot here is using mid sized 4x4 truck front spindles for rear uprights. Somer of the newer ones are aluminum and light weight and use easily and economically changed cartrige hub bearings. Then all you need is a couple of frankin axles and control arms. One issue though, if you use a front spindle, the pick up point location is critical in 2 dimensions or you'll have a bumpsteer.

Last edited by Luce (1/02/2015 9:34 am)

Board footera