Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

11/12/2013 3:13 pm  #1

Jaguar XKE rear end question

I just completed the restoration of a '53 Jaguar XK120. It's a highly modified car- disc brakes, 5 speed transmission, electric power steering, extensive engine mods, etc. I just completed a 1000 mile rally in the car and generally was pleased with the performance, but have decided I'd like to continue the modifications by installing an XKE rear end in the car. I'll be traveling to a Jaguar restoration shop next week to get dimensions off a unit to see if it will fit. My question is: If it looks like the project is feasible, where should I go to locate one of these units?  I've checked Ebay, but there's nothing listed there. Back in my old hot rod days they seemed pretty available. Not sure if that's still the case.

Thanks for any help
Jim

11/13/2013 8:58 am  #2

Re: Jaguar XKE rear end question

Good luck getting an XKE specific unit, these are rare and difficult to get.  I'm fairly certain getting an XJ unit and narrowing it will be an easier and cost effective route.
Where are you located? If you're in the states, Jag IRS units appear on Craigslist (where I got mine) fairly often.  Around the Denver area, I know of a couple of specific shops.
Good luck!

11/13/2013 12:59 pm  #3

Re: Jaguar XKE rear end question

Thanks for the info. I'm not real familiar with the various Jaguar units. Narrowing one is not a  problem as I have machining facilities, but I suspect a bigger issue may be the splined hubs I need for the knockoff wheels. Not even sure if the E type has the same splines as the XK model. Should get more of those details next week when I visit the restoration shop. I'll certainly check Craigslist if everything else works out.

Thanks again,
Jim

Board footera