Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

11/09/2013 5:46 pm  #1

IRS for Jensen Interceptor

OK I am new to this forum so at least point me in the right direction before killing me. I have a 1976 Jensen interceptor convertible.
There were only 512 total production from 74-76. It is estimated there are less than 250 left.
Modification of these vehicles is a must as a lot just caught fire from the factory wiring.
This is a heavy car with a 440 chysler and 727 tranny and dana rear end with leafspring suspension.
I have ditched the three speed tranny for a four speed with positive lock up torque converter. I am now looking at how to modify the rear suspension. Hence this forum. 
If someone can make a recommendation that I can use to start reading pertinant material I would be thankful.
I will be running a roller 440 with fuel injection. The cam is set up for loads of low end torque so this can be a regular driver. Thanks for helping 

11/09/2013 7:27 pm  #2

Re: IRS for Jensen Interceptor

Welcome aboard!
Are you keeping the Dana Rear end - of going to swap it out too?

C4 Corvette is a nice approach - need to check fitment - Ralphy!  Youve some experience - yes?

Or, C5 Double wishbone - but may need a subframe.
And, Naturally a Jag would be keeping British heritage -- but dump the LUCAS   Electrics - OK?
Heaps of possibilities.
Can be a really cool build.
Looking forward to it!

Cheers - Jim

Last edited by phantomjock (11/10/2013 3:34 am)

UNDERCONSTRUCTION! Highly Modified C3 Corvette
         Dual Wishbone IRS w Subframe + Custom Uprights

11/10/2013 3:32 am  #3

PJ, I think you keep mistaking me. I'm dealing with the C3. Browndog9 welcome, are you looking to swap or as you said update? Can you get up some pics? I always liked the body style.

Ralphy

11/11/2013 9:19 am  #4

As long as your aren't doing neutral drops at 4,000 or higher rpm, most any IRS will be a good choice.
What distance between backing plates do you currently have?  This will help identify how much custom work may be needed to fit an IRS in place.

Good luck and post pics!

11/12/2013 3:26 am  #5

Thanks for responding. I will get some pics up this week and will continue talking.

12/29/2013 4:18 pm  #6

Thanks for the input and sorry I have been late on replying. At the same time this project is up and coming I am finishing up on mt Jensen saloon with 440 six pack. It still has the factory rwd with dana rear end. It might get bumped to a standard five speed but I might die before that happens. So many cars so little time.
The motor for the convertible is almost complete. It wikk be a low reving high torque 440 with roller cam, lifters and rocker arms tagged with a simple fuel injection system. I have replaced the 727 trans with a 518 positive lockout 4 speed auto. I used the write up from Monday's garage. We have not built a drive shaft and the car is just now coming back from the body shop. I want to install the motor and get the thing running before paint.
This obviously then would be a great time to get the back end up to snuff. Thanks for the links to more information and I will try to keep you up to speed on the project.

12/30/2013 3:13 am  #7

Pics - as you have time!
Lot of work too - no doubt.
Cheers - Jim

UNDERCONSTRUCTION! Highly Modified C3 Corvette
         Dual Wishbone IRS w Subframe + Custom Uprights

7/18/2014 12:26 pm  #8

HI

Its been some time since this thread was added to ..... but it is a subject that I am still interested in so here goes.The original Diff on the Jensen is a Salisbury unit that can be modified to take Dana 44 internals. If you upgrade the standard engine much you will quickly overpower the Dana 44!  If like most on this forum you want to improve the ride, IRS is a good way forward.

In the UK Cropredy Bridge has "recreated" the original Interceptor .... What this means is they have taken and old Interceptor, rebuilt it and added a modern Chevy engine AND IRS and called it an "R" model. Who designed the new IRS I don’t know, What centre section it uses I don’t know ....... But I do know that John Dodd fitted a Jaguar IRS to his Jensen and the guys at Cropredy Bridge went to see it before designing their own. Note: the Jaguar IRS has very similar internals to the original Salisbury diff and also has the same power limits ..... Ford 9" it is not!

Here are some pictures of John Dodds conversion:

Ahh ... "To help control spam, you must have made at least 2 postings to the forum before you can include a link in your post."

PM me if you want to see the pictures!

Last edited by Jacb (7/18/2014 12:26 pm)

7/18/2014 7:51 pm  #9

Sorry it has been so long. Death in family, me mum. Time has passed and we move on, never forgetting.
The body of the jensen is ready to pick up from paint and body and I will do it Monday. I will take some pics of it and the saloon so you can see what I have done. Still thinking of IRS but i would be in way over my head without a little help from my friends. Will get back soon. Thanks for replying to my post.

7/18/2014 11:38 pm  #10

No problem ..... let me know if you would like to see the Jensen IRS photos I have .... I cant post them here.

7/19/2014 5:23 pm  #11

Of course I would love to see them. The paint and body shop wants me to pick up the beast Monday. I can hardly wait to start on this project. The interior is near completed and the four speed auto transformation is done. If I am going IRS now is the time. This will be IRS number two that is british as I am currently building a 67 Triumph 4a with IRS. New frame with coil over shock suspension from Rat-co.

7/19/2014 6:00 pm  #12

Love to see them. Picking up the car from paint and body Monday.

7/30/2014 9:31 am  #13

Looking at the Art Morrison multi link irs for the jensen. A little pricey but looks like a nice unit that will handle hp.

8/20/2014 6:56 pm  #14

Have a look at dub dub dub jensen-sales-com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/rear-axle,jpg for a look at the Jensen Interceptor R IRS.

If that dosnt work try dub dub dub dropbox.com/s/8jiiaf9syyy72ya/Type%20R%20rear-axle.jpg

And please make posting of pictures easy on this forum .... A picture paints a thousand words!

Last edited by Jacb (8/20/2014 7:00 pm)

8/21/2014 2:54 pm  #15

8/21/2014 5:34 pm  #16

http://www.joc.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18776&p=131985#p131985

Has a post that has pictures re the IRS for a Jensen Interceptor IRS

Board footera