Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

9/30/2013 7:10 pm  #1

New guy here, have a Mark VIII, '61 falcon, and a ton of questions.

Hi everyone and thanks so much for having this forum. A quick intro and what I'm working on: My name is Gary and live just outside of Springfield MO. I have a 1961 Falcon Ranchero, mild custom with several subltle body mods. The outside is pretty much whipped into shape for now and now my attention has turned to the underside.

After asking myself what I wanted out of this car (reliability, power, mileage, ride, etc) dollars and sense wise (to me anyway) led to a Mustang II front suspension and a 4.6 DOHC engine overdrive combo. I bought a complete 1998 Mark VIII and drove it home. The M2 is ordered from R & C Motorsports. I plan to section in the firewall and partial floor of the Lincoln and fit it to the Ranchero. While a bit daunting, it allows clearnce for the transmission and takes advantage of factory mounting points for "things".,

One of those "things" is the master cylinder and booster combo. Which in the Lincoln of course is a disc/disc setup. Originally the plan was to put an 8" Maverick and triangulated 4 bar setup with coilovers, disc brake conversion. After pricing what it takes to make that happen my mind started to wander on the possibilities of narrowing the Mark setup. Google searches, lurking, daydreams, and too much thinking has led me here.

Again, thanks so much for this site. Now to the meat of the matter. I've found a lot on early Mustangs and kit Cobra stuff. Factory Five has a very interesting and what looks to be fairly simple setup.

I really like the use of the factory spindles. Searches have given clues to how/where the half shafts should be done. What concerns me is getting the geometry right. I'm not looking to reinvent the wheel, just want to do it right the first time.

Its probably not as simple as shrinking everything down in proportion? As in the LC mounting points get closer together, the upper shortened accordingly, etc? I'll be running coil overs. In my head copying a lot of what FF has done. What are we looking for in a successful setup? This is a street car that will get driven a lot so wear issues and dependability are of huge importance more than all out track style performance.

By trade I'm a machinist/welder/fabricator doing low run production, building/designing prototype parts, and assembly fixtures. My true love and passion is old cars, street rods and kustoms especially. Not afraid of manipulating some metal but I just need some good direction.

Thanks in advance if you can give me any guideance. And I really had to chuckle reading the introduction by Daze, totally relatable.

-Gary

10/01/2013 9:33 am  #2

Re: New guy here, have a Mark VIII, '61 falcon, and a ton of questions.

Don't know about the Lincoln/T-brid IRS in your car, but the Cobra IRS looks like it's a pretty good fit width wise:

http://www.motorcitymarauders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2579

Greg

10/01/2013 10:34 am  #3

Thanks for the reply. After seaching and studying its very apparent a Jag unit would be much simpler. Just for kicks I searched local Craigslist and found a 1985 Jag XJS rolling body basically for dirt cheap. I called the guy and its mine. Not in my posession yet but hopefully by the weekend. Funny how things work.

10/01/2013 6:21 pm  #4

Gary - welcome aboard!  This is a small corner of the web - and Daze runs a good forum.

A lot of Jag stuff going on here and you'll get heaps of support!
It will be fun to watch your build - post plenty of pics - even low quality- they will be appreciatd I'm sure.  Good luck on your build.

BTW - f you are interested in building IRS uprights - there might be a sideline biz opp for you too.

Cheers - Jim

UNDERCONSTRUCTION! Highly Modified C3 Corvette
         Dual Wishbone IRS w Subframe + Custom Uprights

10/01/2013 7:03 pm  #5

10/02/2013 6:07 pm  #6

Wooooh - Sweet .
What paint is that?  PPG?  Eastwood? Flateners added?  Dip-It? 
I Got to know.  That is the look I want for my "Elvira."
Nice ride!
Cheers - Jim

UNDERCONSTRUCTION! Highly Modified C3 Corvette
         Dual Wishbone IRS w Subframe + Custom Uprights

10/03/2013 4:17 am  #7

Thanks! You probably won't believe it but that is John Deere Blitz black. They use it in their rollcages etc. I believe its a 30% gloss. A lot of GM restoration guys use on the chassis. This was shot over epoxy primer dry sanded 320. The final coat of black was over reduced (no hardener in this paint) so it would flow out. The best part is a gallon will only set you back about 50 bucks.

10/03/2013 9:02 am  #8

Nicely done.

10/03/2013 7:49 pm  #9

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10202106475847206&l=0056c126a3
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10202106481407345&l=51645088da

This is the new donor car for the IRS. Suppose the thread title should be edited The 8.8 Lincoln is doable but far from practical. Thanks much for the info gotten from here. Got this thing about scrap value. Not afraid to plunder and pillage anything and everything. Whats it take to get it out? Should I use factory mounts and such as much as possible? I want to run some deep dish chrome reverse wheels. (17x8-9)I understand the center hole is bigger for Jag wheels? What about the offset? It will need narrowed no doubt. What to do? What not to do? Tons of questions. Still in the planning process. But I believe proper planning now results in a better product later.

Thanks much for your time and any input.

Last edited by 61Falcon (10/03/2013 7:53 pm)

10/04/2013 7:14 am  #10

I can't see your links through Facebook
Guess I'm not authroized or part of the circle of trust

10/04/2013 8:23 am  #11

Sorry, I'll get setup on imageshack

10/06/2013 11:26 pm  #12

Your Falcon has a 54" track.

The Jag rear you need in order to avoid having to do a lot of work narrowing it is from a Jag 3.8S, 420 (Not 420G) or series III XKE.

Not sure where you are located but if you are in the eastern US a rusty Jag of the correct model may not be hard to find.

At these prices I want my gas 100 octane, leaded, and my windshield washed!

10/07/2013 6:13 am  #13

So this is the car I picked up. V8 conversion, no engine/trans. The guy I bought it from only wanted those. $250 for a rolling shell. Think I have most of it already sold.

Last edited by 61Falcon (10/07/2013 6:21 am)

Board footera