Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

9/11/2013 7:27 pm  #1

Overhauling my '86 XJ-6 IRS Unit for the First Time

I'm looking for some advice or someone in the SE Michigan area with experience to guide me through a complete O/H of my all stock 1986 Jag XJ-6 IRS unit (inboard brakes/Dana 44). It has 100k mikes on it and has been sitting indoors unused for a good 10 yrs. I have the Jag service manual reprint and have read that setting them back up properly is best left to those with experience. 

In addition to freshening everything and re-painting, I have some upgrades planned - Tru-Trac diff unit/new gear ratio, QA-1 coil over shocks, Wilwood vented disks addition of a sway bar and electric parking brake.  When complete, it will go back in my XJ-6 proj car. It's fully assembled right now, but I'm ready to tear it down. I just don't want to end up handing over a basket case to someone if I get lost. I know the shims and bearing preload are critical when going back together and some spec tools are required. Anybody in the area that might be interested in some $ on the side to help me through?

Under Construction - 1986 XJ-6 Resto-Mod I call CATATAC. 4.6L Cobra V8, supercharged, T56,  smoothed body, etc.  

Board footera