Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

6/22/2013 2:31 am  #1

Help with my ATV build.

Hello all, I'm trying to figure out a rear suspension setup for my GL1000/TRX build. The 1000cc goldwing motor is a flat four, shaft drive, about 80hp. I would like to have a live/posi axle, instead of the solid swing arm axle, that could reliably operate on the freeway(75mph). Im haveing a hell of a time finding something made for that power range. I was checking out Civic and Miata diffs, but they are much bulkier than I need and would not be efficient. I would like to keep weight down so it can still be used off road to some degree. Welding up some A-arms wouldnt be too hard, but I have no idea how to figure out the geometry(camber, caster, toe, arm lengths, etc), so I need find something that could be adapted. Any Idea where to start?

Last edited by metal249 (6/22/2013 2:49 am)

6/26/2013 1:12 am  #2

Re: Help with my ATV build.

I have the diff out of a gas powered golf cart This cart was designed for four passengers.. Externally the rear end looks similar to what a mini dana might look like.. Its about 3'wide. This thing looked stout enough for your app.but I am sure mine is not a posi and I would guess none of the others like it are either.I have no idea what gears are in it.  The power plant used a varible rate belt trans tith no reverse. . It was a two cycle with a timing plate connected to the forward reverse pedal. It started the engine counter clock wise for reverse and clockwise for forward. Its an odd ball looking set up but it worked quite well and was when compaired to average golf carts it was fast. I dont know who made it but it cant be that tough to figure it out. The rear end I have I would sell cheap. However shipping could deminish the feasibility. I am sure this was a popular brand so you should be to find them where you are. 

6/27/2013 2:15 am  #3

I'm worried that a golf cart diff might not handle the freeway speeds, its made for low speeds. Dont know if a golf cart diff can be upgraded in any way, its about the right size though. 

6/27/2013 2:51 am  #4

I'm looking at the datsun 510 diffs, but I would need to make tube a-arms. I convieniently found this thread about a arm lengths. http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13563

Last edited by metal249 (6/27/2013 3:17 am)

Board footera