Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

6/11/2013 11:02 am  #1

Worst Cars of the Millenium...

The Yugo:  "At least it had heated rear windows so your hands could stay warm while you pushed."

Daihatsu Charade:  "It was as if Daihatsu took aluminum foil and shaped it into a car."

Ford Pinto:  "Remember that great Pinto bumper sticker?  'Hit me and we blow up together'?"

American Motors Gremlin:  "It was entirely possible to read an entire Russian novel during the pause between stepping on the gas and feeling any semblance of forward motion."

Renault Le Car:  "It would put you in mortal danger if you had an accident with anything larger than a croissant."

Cadillac Cimarron:  "When we traded it in, my wife was upset because we didn't keep it long enough for her to buy a gun and shoot it."

Volkswagen Bus:  "There was no heat--unless, that is, the auxiliary gas heater caught fire."

Fiat X1/9:  "It ran fine--that is, unless it was too wet, too cold, too hot or too dark outside."

Chevrolet Vega:  "As far as I could tell, the car was built from compressed rust."

8/14/2013 2:14 pm  #2

Re: Worst Cars of the Millenium...

1980-81 Trans Am Turbo 301.  "All show, no go...."

1979–1982 Mustang Turbo 2.3L "Weaker than water...".

1971–1978 Mazda RX-3  "Piston engine goes 'Boing-boing-boing-boing-boing" but the Mazda goes "BOOM"....

Greg

8/17/2013 2:39 pm  #3

That's a pretty good start, I could add the Pontiac Aztec for at least looks. Now here's a list with 50 of the worst. Notice it starts near the top with the Model T.

Having hyperlink issues.
http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/completelist/0,29569,1658545,00.html

1998 Fiat Multipla

"Multipla" is a time-honored name for Fiat. The company made an adorable microvan by that name in the '50s and '60s, based on the Fiat 600. The Multipla that appeared in 1998 was anything but adorable. With its strange high-beam lenses situated at the bottom of the A-pillars (base of the windshield), the Multipla looked like it had several sets of eyes, like an irradiated tadpole. It had this weird proboscis out front and a bulky, glass cabin in back, and the whole thing was situated on dwarfish wheels. I rented one of these in Europe and it worked beautifully, but it was just so tragic to look at. The Multipla (and the Aztek and the Consulier GTP) reminds us that cars cannot just work beautifully. They have to be beautiful. At least they can't look like this.
Read more: http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1658545_1658544_1658537,00.html #ixzz2cGU5QZUl

1899 Horsey Horseless

Somewhere between an early car and the head-in-the-bed scene in The Godfather, the Horsey Horseless, the brainfart of inventor Uriah Smith of Battle Creek, Mich., was intended to soothe the skittish nerves of our equine servants. A wooden horse head was attached to the front of the chuffing buggy in order to make it resemble a horse and carriage (Smith recommended the horse head be hollow to contain volatile fuel — another great idea). "The live horse would be thinking of another horse," said Smith, "and before he could discover his error and see that he had been fooled, the strange carriage would be passed." Stupid horse! It's not clear if the Horsey Horseless was ever actually built or if it is a chimera of auto history, but it reminds us just what a radical, hard-to-conceptualize thing a horseless carriage was.
Read more: http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1658545_1657686_1657662,00.html #ixzz2cGWpee4j

Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy (8/17/2013 2:49 pm)

8/25/2013 6:21 am  #4

I remember back in the early seventies when I first saw an AMC Pacer.   My first impression was "Wow".  Later impressions became... "Ugh...".  Those Chryslers and Fords with the "bustle back" meant to copy Caddy Sevilles (which copied the Bentley's but with a less jarring style) had the same effect.  Don't get me started on the Caddy Cimmaron.

Greg

Last edited by Greg55_99 (8/25/2013 6:22 am)

9/24/2013 2:44 am  #5

I like this post.It brings me a lot of fun. At the same time I learned something.If you want to know more carefully,I suggest you carefully check on the Internet.

11/09/2013 12:13 am  #6

Cadillac 8-6-4 was far worse than the Vega mechanically.
I doubt a single one ever lived to the end of the warranty period.
None ever ran long enoug for rust to be an issue.

Only the GM diesels built on gas engine blocks may have been as bad as the 8-6-4.

Had a Pinto for a while, actually a fairly good car for what it was, cheap drive it to death and throw it away machine.

At these prices I want my gas 100 octane, leaded, and my windshield washed!

11/10/2013 3:22 pm  #7

The Yugo:  "At least it had heated rear windows so your hands could stay warm while you pushed."

OK, this one I can get behind. It was crap... then again, priced roughly the same as the average lawn tractor, what did anyone expect?

Daihatsu Charade:  "It was as if Daihatsu took aluminum foil and shaped it into a car."

A what?

Ford Pinto:  "Remember that great Pinto bumper sticker?  'Hit me and we blow up together'?"

1) They didn't explode, the impact would break a fitting off the gas tank and the resultant fuel leak could catch fire.

2) They had about the same incidence of bursting into flames as many other small cars of the time.

American Motors Gremlin:  "It was entirely possible to read an entire Russian novel during the pause between stepping on the gas and feeling any semblance of forward motion."

Yeah, they were ugly, and they were slow... but they got reasonable fuel mileage, and they were roomy as hell. Every ride in an emissions laden VW bug? On a good day, if the head gaskets were holding, you might get 50 hp.

Renault Le Car:  "It would put you in mortal danger if you had an accident with anything larger than a croissant."

Yeah... but we misunderstand cars like this. They're built for countries like... well... France, and you can fit the entire country of France into the state of Texas. The LeCar was meant as a car you drove around someplace like Washington DC, or maybe between your home in the country and the small town 15 miles away. Keep it under 50mph for its whole life, and it will live forever.

Cadillac Cimarron:  "When we traded it in, my wife was upset because we didn't keep it long enough for her to buy a gun and shoot it."

I never understood the way GM does stuff. They introduce a car that's all wrong, and by the time they get it right, they've destroyed its marketability. They '87 and '88 Cimarrons were well appointed economy cars. I wouldn't mind getting one now, it would make a great commuter car for my wife... especially if I managed to squeeze the supercharged moter from a Bonneville SSEi under the hood!

Volkswagen Bus:  "There was no heat--unless, that is, the auxiliary gas heater caught fire."

Or, if you weren't so cheap as to have someone replace the heater tubes.

Fiat X1/9:  "It ran fine--that is, unless it was too wet, too cold, too hot or too dark outside."

Again, most of these opinions seem to come from the second hand market. A well maintained X1/9 runs well, and with little difficulty, barring the fact that those over 5'7 will have difficulty getting in the damned thing.

Chevrolet Vega:  "As far as I could tell, the car was built from compressed rust."

My cousins had one, after 200,000 miles, and three engines (you mean you're supposed to check the oil? Huh, never knew that.), it did finally develop a rust hole. A friend of mine had a Pontiac Astre (SP?) that never did rust. Maybe cars in MD were immune?

Check out my latest project, "In the Company of Devils" at www.WilliamKElliott.com

Board footera