Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

5/21/2013 12:42 pm  #1

Huntin Tail --Dana and Salsbury side by side Comparo

testing. damn tinypic

5/21/2013 1:10 pm  #2

Re: Huntin Tail --Dana and Salsbury side by side Comparo

Last week i busted my cherry  disassembling  a jag unit I got, it was from a late  xjs like the first one I got--except,  not checking the tag FIRST,  this one was a 2.88--89 last yr of the inboard brakes,  it must have been an eastern car- those damn  wheel hub bearing nuts gave me hell!  The yard guys Also gave me hell,  I go in and tell the counter guy - a few days earlier  the sunday guys said  -a complete jag rear end assembly was ..$..  oh well never nind, anyway first the fork lift driver gave me hell because the car was  buried  in some stacks-only took him 3 minutes to get the others moved.  I drop the unit and take it up to the counter  and he starts claiming im scammin them  "you said differential-the pumpkin"  -"No I said jag rear end assembly".  he ends up charging me $25 more and keeps saying  i pulled $hit--practicing deception , yadda yadda, The guy is from Germany--and is supposed to know euro cars-not just vw's and old smokin benz diesels...
 anyway i went home and  next day took it apart.  

So  a couple days later  I emptied out my tool box  of all those annoying  mm this and that--How refreshing,  

And go off Huntin Tail.

I went to the pick and pull on loop 12 in Dallas,  I had spied a V12  earlier when I saw  the other  xjs,   Pick n pulls are the worst place  to get stuff because they charge for every little piece the can to make sure you go home with empty pockets.  this unit I  dropped and then in the uncomforts of the yard  disassembled-- I once again didnt check the tag..............  this one was an 84,  the center was a dana  2.87.  I took the center and the hubs/axles up front and got the $ shock and left the hubs and axles there.
  Breaking down  two assemblies  in a couple days left me feeling worked---  -Like A Rented Mule!

Its kinda laughable that the jag lovers site says the dana is "widely considered inferior" to their bootleg version. Well maybe over there,  but here-  if you get a dogleg / open salsbury,  or just want to change out,  annd install a auburn unit, You have to find a competent shop to first drill out the 7/16 holes  to 3/8  like the dana.  This is no big deal for me-I got a guy who will do it for a case of Miller beer.  Now if I could just find a differential shop that will set up the pinion shaft preload  for a ridiculously low price...............

5/21/2013 1:21 pm  #3

this is messed up, Seems  the only time tinypic will post an upload is when you somehow get a upload page with a black background........................?

5/21/2013 1:26 pm  #4

5/21/2013 1:37 pm  #5

They are both powerloc's.  Anyway  the wire twisting fanatics  didn't seem to get to mess with the dana's brake caliper bolts.  AND  they are much more sensibly--and straight forwardly designed as to how they are mounted.  You just slip a socket thru the window holes in the rotors to unbolt, rather than  pretend to be Harry Houdini, to get the damn safety wire undone and then  twist your self  into fits to get at the salsbury's  mounting bolts--which  bolt in in the opposite direction-twards the wheels-  cramped up inside  the nooks  under the calipers.  The dana  has  more heavy webbing on the pinion snout,  and  the teltale diamond  at the top front.

Board footera