Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

2/24/2011 5:46 pm  #1

IRS under a Crown Vic

I am putting an '07 crown vic frame under a '61 Starliner. Under that frame in am installing (trying) and IRS from a 1986 XJ6 (thanks to Daze). Does anyone know of this type of install, any pics or ideas. I am a newly register member ( have been visiting for a while), this is good stuff on here. Thanks,

Steve

2/24/2011 10:01 pm  #2

Re: IRS under a Crown Vic

first of all welcome to the forum!!!  I would love to see some pix of your project, so please post some.  what made you decide to put the crown vic frame under a '61 Starliner??  Sounds like a fantastic project.  please more details

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

2/25/2011 5:09 am  #3

quote(first of all welcome to the forum!!!  I would love to see some pix of your project, so please post some.  what made you decide to put the crown vic frame under a '61 Starliner??  Sounds like a fantastic project.  please more details)

It all started with the idea of adding disc brakes and an overdrive transmission. As what usually happens that led to the front end geometry and handling, and I wasnt crazy about the stock Ford front suspension. The LCA are angled oposite what modern norm geometry has evolved into. I started looking for a chassis that would accept a 4.6 DOHC and would meet the 119"  wheel base with a better that average suspension. The "03+ CV meet that in the LWB version of 120" and I loved the front K member with the long LCA's and short UCA's. I havent started the mock up with the "61 yet, I am hopeing to start within a few weeks (my job gets in the way sometimes).  I have managed to aquire all the parts to get started (engine should be here next week). While helping my brother with his  project  '68 Mustang, he had heard of using the Jag IRS rear end and I was researching the feasibility of it. That's when it happened, I got bit, and bad. I came across this forum and it was all over. I had the bug. I have sinced purchased a stock low milage 1986 XJ6 rear  and  am in the design stage. I am looking to put a 373 posi in it, hopeing to find a good deal on the parts.

2/25/2011 9:12 am  #4

I am learning that the crown vic front suspension is a popular swap.  I have a friend who is putting the front suspension under his 66 f-100

http://www.mustangsteve.com/f100restoration.html
I am glad we were able to give you the bug   I can't weight to see pix of your project.  BTW do you need any sheet metal for that 61??  I have most of the sheet matel for a 61 Galaxie I parted out and I am about to take it in for its scrap value.  I was also thinking about how you were looking for used limited slip parts and its hard to beat this price for a new auburn gear unit
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Auburn-Gear-Posi-Dana-44-19-sp-2-72-3-73-Jeep-CJ-Jaguar-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem413c146b04QQitemZ280180845316QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_4762wt_1002
It is what I put in my car.

2/25/2011 9:31 am  #5

That;s a good looking job. I am sure he will be happy with the handling. As for sheet metal for the '61. I have two good front fenders but need rockers, quarters, hood and depending on what I have to do with the floor boards, I probably need front, rear and trunk. What all do you have? At this point all I have on the IRS is the unit stock witha  288 striaght from the car. So yes I am in need of the carrier and ring gear. That is a great price on the carrier and its new. Do you have any parts for sale? What do you think about the watts link posted on the Cobra Forum. It looks like it could reduce or eliminate the wheel hop. I have the means to fab those parts. I thinking about doing it.

Steve

2/25/2011 10:06 am  #6

The 61 Gal was a 4-door so I have the fenders inner fenders, core support, rock guard, front and rear bumpers, 4-doors, and two rear quarters (the whole thing from the door frame to the  tail lights and from the bottom all the way up to the trunk seal track)  the doors and rear quarters are yours for cheep if you want them or part of them. If you need any of the other parts other than the fenders (keeping them for my 62) I am sure I would let them go for some where between cheep and fare. I also have a front windshield but I don't know if it is the same glass for the galaxie and the starliner.  I also have most of the trim and chrome.

I think the watts link is a great idea and was working with the guy on the Cobra forum to try and get it to work with my set up but mu sub frame is getting in the way.

Last edited by Daze (2/25/2011 10:30 am)

2/25/2011 1:57 pm  #7

Got to thinking you said the starliner and the crown vic have the same wheel base, but what about the track width??

2/25/2011 2:12 pm  #8

I will look at the parts you listed to see what I need.  As for the track width, it is a problem. I solved that with the IRS, the stock ford 9" was about 60 3/4 hub to hub, there is about 6" diff in the front. When I look at the all inside offset the CV wheel uses along inside the huge wheel wells, I believe I can work it out with the wheels. The CV uses a 4.5" lug (same as late model Mustang), my preliminary engineering (SWAG) suggests I can make it look good.

Steve

2/26/2011 9:12 am  #9

I would still love to see some PIX.  if you have some and are not sure how to post them, email them to me and I can help.

2/27/2011 7:11 am  #10

By almeans, I will start posting pics. I will have to check on the posting of the pics. You may have to help

Steve

2/27/2011 9:27 am  #11

If you look under the heading of "forum info" on the main index there is info on posting pix, I am also more than happy to help.

Board footera