Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

4/17/2013 8:22 am  #1

80's corvette IRS on a S-10 frame to fit under a1950 chevy pickup

Can anyone tell me if I can fit a 80's corvette c4 rearend under a s-10 truck frame in order that I might sit my 1950 chevy truck body on it? Will I have to modify the rearend to get it to fit the s-10 longbed frame?
Anyone have any info on a project like this OR is there another IRS I can use (I just want a IRS and IFS on the S-10) that will work on both the rear and the front of this chasis, it doesn't have to be corvette suspensions. HELP!!!

Thanks!

Truck1950

4/17/2013 11:44 am  #2

Re: 80's corvette IRS on a S-10 frame to fit under a1950 chevy pickup

Hi truck1950,
Welcome to the forum.  Assuming you are 2WD, I would recommend either an early corvette with the transverse leaf spring, or a Jag IRS. The Jag is good for up to 400hp.  The 'vette, probably more. They are easy to narrow and you won't have an upper control arm to worry about interference with the frame.  Eaton used to make shortened leaf springs.  I don't know if they do it anymore, but a phone call and you would know.  I think the Jag is a little easier to narrow.  They are plentiful and cheap, but get expensive with the four coilovers.  The Jag ride is magnificent, however.  Give us some more details on how you intend to use your truck.

I don't know much about the 8.8 T-bird IRS, but it may be a good choice.  Here is an interesting build thread: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1162665-my-55-f-100-project-7.html
Cheers, irstang

Last edited by irstang (4/17/2013 12:07 pm)

"'Cars are like primates. They need to squat to go.'—Carroll Smith"

4/17/2013 12:55 pm  #3

Welcome Truck1950!

Get with sfm1951 he's doing a C4. The first issue is will the differential mounts/batwing work. App. 36" wide, you may want it to fit inside the frame rails. Personally I would toss the leaf spring for coil overs. But you can have a new composite spring made in any width for a resonable price. Van Steel is a supplier of Hyperco products. You can go thru either one I believe. But if I remember Van Steel told me to call Hyperco direct.

If you go to any users profile you can go thru their posts. I have a link to one of sfm's threads below.

Hyperco
http://www.hypercoils.com/

Hyperco Spring
http://www.vansteel.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=shop.ProductList&SubGroup=1950

C4 Coil Overs
http://www.vansteel.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=shop.ProductList&SubGroup=1972

One of sfm1951's threads
http://irsforum.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=454

Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy (4/17/2013 1:04 pm)

4/17/2013 4:18 pm  #4

Thank you, I had no idea how to approch this. Ill go to the links. Thanks a million!

4/18/2013 2:15 am  #5

It looks like your question has been asked a hundred times on www.S10forum.com
User Milleraa posted a picture of his C4 installation in an S10.

It looks like the crossmember would fit between your frame rails with some simple brackets.  You will have to narrow the rear or run wheels with a deep offset from the back.  Flat Out Engineering in Orange, California may even offer a kit to install a Corvette IRS in an S10.

"'Cars are like primates. They need to squat to go.'—Carroll Smith"

4/18/2013 8:08 am  #6

Having '98 S10 4WD and putting a Jag Rear into my '59 Chevy, I know the width is pretty good, mostly needing a cross member and a place to correctly mount the trailing arms.  I would expect the bat wing configuration would make it even easier.
If this will be a high HP application, I would double check the Vette rear being used.
From WikiPedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dana_44
A Dana 36 IRS was used in all Corvettes in 1984 and automatic transmission equipped Corvettes from 1985 to 1996. The Dana 36 has a ring gear diameter of 7.75 inches (197 mm), and has gear ratios ranging from 2.53:1 to 3.31:1

I wouldn't trust a ring gear smaller than 8.5 for an application higher than 300 HP, especially if the vehicle gets good traction - Just my two cents worth.

Have fun with your project, it sounds like FUN!

4/18/2013 8:13 am  #7

Here is a good list of Dana information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dana_Corporation

4/18/2013 11:39 am  #8

Until I get a everyday driver vehicle it will be a daily driver. I would like to have a 350 corvette fuel injector engine (maybe turbo charged) and a 700 trany in it. Once I can find a daily driving car or truck I will mainly drive my 1950 chevy truck on the weekends and take it to cars shows. Like a lot of us I don't have a lot of money and I'm trying to do a little at a time. But I really want the chassis and suspension to be right and to ride and handle well. I have already purchase the S-10 frame and will pick it up this weekend. It has the front suspension on it still, and I have a kit to up grade all of the rubber bushings etc. Will probably put big disk brakes in the front and smaller in the back. I want deeeeep dish crome wheels and low profile tires. I want the tire and wheels size to be set up like the newer corvettes with the wider tires in rear and a little smaller in front. Thinking maybe putting 20-22" wheels in back and probably 18" in the front. planning on having automatic tilt hood with fenders attached, (also air induction on the hood that works and looks good) suiaside (I know I didn't spell that right) doors, rear roll pan with corvette brake lights inset. I'm thinking about chopping it about 2" nothing two drastic for these trucks have big hoods and the vision in not that great without chopping so I'm trying to stay a little conservative on the chop. Want leather interior automatic in the floor shifter. The old Impala speaker cover embedded in the middle of the seats. The frame will be powder coated yellow and truck will be wet black with blue ghost flames maybe. If anyone knows what would be the easiest way set up suiside doors and lactches please let me know. That's all I can think of right now that I want to do to the truck, I sure I'll think of somethin else as the days go by. If anyone has any idea's on how I can make this dream come true and not go bankrupt trying please chim in and give me some idea's on where I can by the parts, get help finding the right IRS (jag or corvette etc) or on anything I talked about please let me know. And thanks for all you guys input and suggestion please keep them common. I am an amature and can use all the help I can get. Thanks! Truck1950

Board footera