Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

4/08/2013 3:45 am  #1

Identifying Jaguar IRS

Hi there.  I have a Jaguar E-Type based Cobra kit car.  The kit is made by a UK company called Dax.  I didn't build it, but have owned it (and rebuild various mechanicals over the years) for 13 years now.  I was led to believe the donor car was a Jaguar E-Type late model, like 1972-73.  On that basis, having searched for a while now, I believe it may be a series III IRS.

The problem I've always had is that the left brake caliper and disc have been covered in oil.  It's always been slight and I've gotten away with it through the anual (MOT) test we have to put our cars through in the UK.  Now, however, it failed and to be honest - it does seem a little worse than normal.

So - I've stripped the left-side suspension off and got to the point shown in the pictures.  Problem is, I don't know which version of the IRS this is - to ensure I get the right seals to replace what's there.

Also, I don't quite understand how the 'female' part of the assembly is suppose to seal oil from getting into the spines of the shaft and potentially out through the various metal-to-metal joined faces.  This female part mates with the drive shaft to the hub and retains the disk in between.

I need to identify the cause of the leak, but that is far from clear.

Also - at this stage, I have unbolted the bearing surround, but it wont come off easily.  It spins round (as in pic) but is it stiff because it is hard-pressed on the bearing which itself will be pressed on the output shaft?  If that's the case, can I prise it off and expect to be able to refit, without replacing the bearing?  If I have to replace the bearing, how best to get that off the shaft and then press everything back on again.  Given, the IRS is still on the car, that might be an issue!  Getting it all off the car would mean removing the kit body - a major job.

All diagrams I've seen of the Jaguar E-Type IRS shows the output shaft and rectangular plate that bolts to the drive shaft being one piece - not the way I seem to have it - the shaft is still in the diff!

Any and all help much appreciated.

Regards,

Richard.

As this is my first post, I can't include picture links - so you'll need to copy the below and stick it in the address bar of your browser to view...

Output shaft still in diff:

imageshack.us/a/img705/4276/outputshaft.jpg

Female part that bolts to the drive shaft with disk (rotor) inbetween:

imageshack.us/a/img35/7348/outputshaftfemale.jpg

4/08/2013 7:36 am  #2

Re: Identifying Jaguar IRS

It sounds like you have outboard brakes (near the wheel) rather than inboard (near the pumpkin). 
"This female part mates with the drive shaft to the hub and retains the disk in between."

This leads me to believe your rear is much much newer than 1970's.  Rather, this sounds like an early '90s setup.

A link with a larger picture is going to help the most.  Even a pic of the right side with the tire off will help identify inboard or outboard brakes.  From there, the info should start rolling.

4/08/2013 8:18 am  #3

Hi there.  They're definitely inboard!  This female part of the shaft that fits over that output spline shaft then bolts to the drive shaft and retains the 'rotor' (or disc) in between it and the drive shaft plate.  The female part is bolted to the spline shaft with the big retaining nut (that I think I was supposed to 'count' how far it was threaded on etc. and of course, didn't.  It was certainly hand-unscrewably loose once I freed it from the washer's locking tab!).  This guy seems to have a similar set up, but no details on what exactly diff he's got! (mckennasgarage.com/xke/jag34.htm)

I think I should be able to prise this lot out - but definitely concerned about then replacing it all.  Is there a 'crushable spacer' in amongst this lot?  I don't see that in the diagrams I do have such as this one: erareplicas.com/427man/jagrear/jag_dif.jpg.  Perhaps sensible to just screw it together again and just get the seal out.  Just then need to know what to go buy to replace the seal!

Cheers,

Richard.

4/14/2013 9:46 pm  #4

Hi Swinfen, 
Your pictures did not show up, but you can still edit your post to make them appear.  Go to the forum index and Day has described how this works.

Regarding your rear output seal leak, take a look at Kirby Palm's "Experience in a Book".
Below is a link to a free download.  Worthwhile reading. There are a lot of helpful tips on rear suspension maintenance.  Without pictures I don't know whether you have a Dana (no drainplu) or a Salibury (with drainplug).  Some tips on rebuilding the differential  begin on page 349.

Hope this helps.

http://www.jag-lovers.org/xj-s/book/Jaguar.html

Last edited by irstang (4/14/2013 10:03 pm)

"'Cars are like primates. They need to squat to go.'—Carroll Smith"

Board footera