Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

3/28/2013 6:57 am  #1

New guy here with old home built t bucket

Hey guys!  Funny how I often end up looking at stuff on this forum when googling jag IRS stuff.  Now I have a problem, and figured I better join, lol.

Back in '98 I took a complete IRS in a cage out of (I think) a 69 or 70 XJ6.  If I was gonna build a t bucket, I wanted it to ride nice, and I wasn't gonna start the project till I got either a jag or vette IRS.  So once I had the IRS in hand (for all of 100 bucks!), I started building a frame to mount it.  That was pretty easy, because California Custom Roadsters (CCR) had plans to do just that.  Soon after I picked up a 400 ci sbc, then a TH350 and with a stretched body from CCR, built me a hot rod from the ground up.

Tearing that jag IRS apart and rebuilding it was a REAL education!

Now I'm tearing the t bucket down right to every last bolt and nut for some major changes.  Between time and $, I figure it will take me a couple years.  I'm 60, so I gotta work quick...

That's a little about me.  Thanks for having me!

Frank

3/28/2013 12:27 pm  #2

Re: New guy here with old home built t bucket

Welcome aboard Frank, hope you can post some pictures.

Ralphy

3/28/2013 2:05 pm  #3

Frank - Welcome aboard -- "Yongster!"
Started my project @ 58 - been at it 4 years.  Lots of playtime left.

Cheers - Jim

UNDERCONSTRUCTION! Highly Modified C3 Corvette
         Dual Wishbone IRS w Subframe + Custom Uprights

3/29/2013 8:48 am  #4

I'll get some pics up soon, but I think I need to have a couple posts under my belt before I can do that.  As of last night, I got both 1/2 axles and control arms off the jag, so I'm getting there.  One of my hub carriers was busted underneath where it was hard to see, so got one coming.  Will need to pull the old hub out, get some new seals and reinstall it in the carrier sometime.  Bearings seem fine, but they may get replaced while I have it all apart.

Enjoy yer day folks!

Frank

3/29/2013 12:14 pm  #5

Here's a couple pictures. 

Last edited by frank_a (3/29/2013 12:16 pm)

3/29/2013 12:19 pm  #6

Here's some of the disassembly.  It's kinda rusty, but there's a long story here, and take my word - this is all gonna change.  12 years on the road, and everything is coming apart for special care, but 1st off is the chassis.  After a bit of work, off it goes to the powdercoater!

Last edited by frank_a (3/29/2013 12:21 pm)

3/30/2013 5:04 am  #7

Frank,
Are you going to keep the trailer hitch?

Ralphy

3/30/2013 5:32 am  #8

Yea Ralphy, just everything is getting sandblasted and repaitned or powdercoated.  That hitch was home built (like about everything else), is very sturdy, even though only a class 1, and has towed a number of trailers many, many miles.  I may build a class 3 hitch while the hot rod is torn down, haven't decided yet.  

Enjoy yer day!

Frank

3/30/2013 5:40 am  #9

I've seen quit a few T Buckets online pulling trailers.

Ralphy

3/30/2013 12:10 pm  #10

We can get a lot in the little stake rack for day trips, but need the trailer for overnight stuff.  I don't know about the rest of you guys, but my wife loves to overpack!

Frank

3/31/2013 10:19 am  #11

Did good this weekend.  Yesterday a buddy who's an expert chevy guy came down to help me get the motor running the way it should...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avt27W9lrt0

Then less than 24 hours later I had the motor and tranny pulled...

3/31/2013 1:22 pm  #12

Can you post some pics of the front side of your Jag rear install? Radius rods, Torque rods....

97' C5 Corvette, 46' International Harvester K3 Street Rod

46' International "Harvester of Sorrow" Build Thread
http://www.killbillet.com/showthread.php?t=24127

3/31/2013 6:29 pm  #13

Here's some pics.  Radius rods are off, but attach to the jag control arms through something I made up that mounts where an original jag bushing was (I think).  All the tubing is 7/8 with a .156 wall (drilled 37/64 and tapped 5/8 N),F and all the rod ends meet 3/8 metal, either for the dog bones or the frame attachments.

Let me know if there's anything else you would like pics of.

Frank

3/31/2013 7:59 pm  #14

So that's a radius rod mount I see? Looks like it rotates, is it bushed in any way. Or is it steel on steel?

Ralphy

4/01/2013 2:31 am  #15

First of all, I am no mechanical engineer.  I bought California Custom Roadster's (CCR) plans for a t bucket back in '98 because their ads said they showed how to mount a jag rear end in a t bucket roadster chassis.  And boy, did they ever.  My rear end and IRS support is built per CCR's plans.

That radius rod mount goes to a location on the control arm where a jag stabilizer bar had mounted.  I removed the rubber bushing from that stabilizer bar, made new adapters from 2" OD tubing that I attached the radius rod mount to, then pressed the old jag bushing into.  So yes, it is bushed.

Frank

4/04/2013 6:54 am  #16

With the body off, I got some good shots of the center section.  This stuff is all oily from a porrly sealed 414 c.i. small block.  That is gonna change when it's re-installed...

Here it is out...

One of my hub carriers busted when removing...

New one maybe assemble tonight...

Board footera