Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

1/22/2013 3:15 pm  #1

Help!

took over this build. as a biker guy i am struggling trying to figure out the rear suspension, any help much appreciated.
seems i need 2 posts before linking to my pics

1/22/2013 3:19 pm  #2

Re: Help!

so the original vehicle is a 1959 MotoGuzzi Ercole, 3 wheeler, have installed Rotax engine to IRS, following photos will show shocks that came with it, but no idea what the previous guy had in mind to mount or even if this is the way to go Thx

1/22/2013 4:09 pm  #3

can you try posting the pix again

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

1/25/2013 6:37 am  #4

img. http://imageshack.us/v_images.php /img

These are photos of my dilema, this rig is strickly street use fun, just trying to obtain stabile suspension. learning a lot from this forum, great job!

Last edited by TarmacJack (1/25/2013 6:42 am)

1/25/2013 10:34 am  #5

that link is just a generic link to imagshack so we are still not able to see the pictures.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

1/25/2013 12:02 pm  #6

ok, trying again to post pictures

1/25/2013 2:07 pm  #7

If that's the proper ride height, the geometry looks all wrong. Your wheels are going to camber positive/outward when the rear squats. You want the opposite.

Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy (1/25/2013 2:18 pm)

1/25/2013 3:03 pm  #8

As Ralphy suggests the geometry is certainly "unusual."
I suggest you do a few quick runs with the "Bones Apart" excell spreadsheet - referenced elsewhere in the forum.  Its one of the easiest to work for suspension geometry - the downside is its all metric. A few simple conversions and you'll have a solution.  
But then again - as a 3 wheeler, maybe they were trying to establish a tilt system without a lot of complications. Maybe another good choice is making a string computer and you can see the results more "mechanically." 

Cheers - Jim

UNDERCONSTRUCTION! Highly Modified C3 Corvette
         Dual Wishbone IRS w Subframe + Custom Uprights

1/25/2013 3:18 pm  #9

Just dug this graphic out from RQ Riley's site: might be what they were looking for?  Just sayin...

1/25/2013 4:48 pm  #10

-thanks guys.... a lot more to this science, will try to follow you and do suggested reading.
-the height is not locked in. front end is only tacked on so lots of room to set-up
-appreciate any thoughts on where to install shock mounts, angle or are these shocks all wrong.
- I really appreciate your help, prodject is at a stand still , this rig is good to go once this rear end thing is dealt with

1/26/2013 4:36 am  #11

Are we dealing with a strange animal here? Me forgets this is a three wheeler, hmmm...
TJ, my opinion was based on a conventional automotive 4 wheel vehicle. So are motorcycle tires supposed to be used on the rear?

Ralphy

1/26/2013 6:27 am  #12

these bykes/trucks things were built as workhorses, stock suspension was leaf springs, so very stiff ride, my build was designed by a VW mechanic running VW spindles and brakes, guessing i should just weld on mounts from the lower A and a tower onto the frame... trial and error ???

1/26/2013 5:40 pm  #13

Not much to add here.  But I remember  as a kid in the late 50's living in Japan, there were THOUSANDS of "buddy-wagons."  All three wheelers motorcycle engine power - well some more scooter like than motor cycle.  They just putt-putted along and did the majority of the hauling and moving of materials and family.
Work Horse - guess so! 
But when you saw one come to grief against a bus - not so pretty.

Jim

Board footera