Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

1/06/2013 8:06 pm  #1

Ford Half Shafts

Hi Guys,

Has anyone compared the various ford half shafts I.E. Aerostar AWD, Focus, Escape Etc. for over all lengths and spline counts

I'm wondering if there is a shorter center piece that would accept the outer parts of the Tbird half shafts

I need to lose 5 inches per side. I've seen the video showing cutting and welding of the center section

just thinking if I could assemble something out of existing parts it would be easier.

Thanks,
             Chris

1/08/2013 1:44 am  #2

Re: Ford Half Shafts

Sorry, I can't help.

Ralphy

1/08/2013 5:52 pm  #3

Thanks for the reply Ralphy,

I think I'll take the next step and find samples of the various Ford axles to see what is compatible and gather info on the over all lengths, spline count  and length of centers. might be helpful in a spread sheet for future builds.

1/09/2013 7:45 pm  #4

4Tigers wrote:

I think I'll take the next step and find samples of the various Ford axles to see what is compatible and gather info on the over all lengths, spline count  and length of centers. might be helpful in a spread sheet for future builds.

That is a great idea!!  This is one of those times where a good friend at a parts house would be a big help.  You just have to keep trying tell you find something that works.  I have a few "off the shelf" swaps for things but unfortunately half shafts are not one of them.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

2/07/2013 5:01 pm  #5

I have owned a 7.5" Ford IRS from a T-bird, a few 8.8" Ford IRS from the Super Coupe and the Lincoln VIII and from the Cobra. I never measured the axles but have had them all together being cleaned of grease, having universal joints removed etc.. I have never noticed any difference in length. Width yes. Spline count yes but not length. The 7.5" use a 1" axle 28 splines each end. The 8.8 use a 1.2" axle with 28  splines in each end. The Cobra has a 1.5" axle. From there I am a bit confused. On the wheel side the spline count is 28 but on some the inner is 28 and later years it is 31. I used the 1.5" axles on my build. As I recall I did not have to deal with the spline count in the differential. I had the cast iron 8.8 and the Lincoln aluminim 8.8. I simply used the tri-lobar (is that what its called) from the Cobra in the Universal joint for the T-bird. No problem. I needed to shorten my axles 2". It cost me $350 plus freight to have then respline then rehardened and annealed. I know nothing about the Explorer IRS except hat several kit car guys tried them and gave up. Fell into the too hard basket and they went back to the T-bird. Could be shorter axles but I doubt it. The Explorer isn't exactly a skinny car. Not going to be skinnier than a Mustang.

2/18/2013 10:45 pm  #6

Gullwing Thanks for the reply I know the Cobra guys are taking 2 inches off we are needing to lose about 5 inches per side

I checked with the local drive line shop. I was given a number for an axle manufactorer in Tualatin Oregon he has hundreds of axles and will make customs for $300.00 per axle they have made some for semi show cars

The local bone yard had some contour axles one side is shorter what I'm trying to accomplish is to dissasemble various Ford axles and see what can be mixed to obtain a desired lenght I.E. if a front right hand center on an all wheel drive escape could take the T Bird ends and come up with a shorter axle

the final goal is to have a spreed sheet showing the data for the individual pieces

I.E. hubs with 28 spline and wheel bolt patterns, center axle legths with spline counts etc.  any info will help

Thanks,
             Chris

2/18/2013 11:49 pm  #7

2/19/2013 12:00 am  #8

I was having trouble writing and adding a picture as well. Anyway the above picture shows the contrast in size and spline count for the T-bird Supercoupe and the Cobra.
I can't imagine finding an axle 5" shorter. The  Factory Five guys use these axles in two different lengths.
One for standard hub and a shorter axle for the pin drive hubs. These guys all have to have them cut and resplines. So if there was a shorter axle someone no doubt they would have written about it. Everyone prefers to save money. The good news is the cost of cutting and resplining an axle is the same whether you are cutting 2" off or 5".

Board footera