Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

12/21/2012 4:52 am  #1

Use of IRS for an electric vehicle conversion?

Hi Everybody!

My name is Chris and I live in Perth Western Australia.  I note that this forum is small but that usually means people who know their stuff are here and helpful!

I have recently purchased a $2500 '88 Honda CRX with the intention of eventually converting it to electric drive.  I have the motor - an AFM140-4 Evo Electric AC motor.  The motor is pretty impressive.  It weighs 40 kg but puts out peaks of >170 kw.  It's rated for 100 kW continuous, but as you guys are no doubt aware, torque is king.  This beast is rated for 250 Nm continuous and peaks of 400 Nm.  Also, being an electric, I don't need a gearbox.  It will take off from stall delivering full torque.

Normally folks bolt their electric motor to the gearbox and go with that.  I suspect that 400 Nm would snap the diff of the existing frontwheel drive system currently in place.

So I seek your advice on mounting an IRS diff in the front of my Honda.  The motor can go in front or behind the diff, ideally behind to centralise the weight (I concede that the gears might have a direction though).  Are there any IRS diff systems which might suit a small 2-seater like the CRX?  Tare weight will be about the same as the original, but potentially 100 kg heavier at the absolute worst.

Anyway, I will read and learn in the meantime, but if you can think of good examples of these kinds of modifications, I would love to know about them.

Cheers,
Chris

Last edited by jonescg (12/21/2012 8:19 am)

2/02/2013 5:49 am  #2

Re: Use of IRS for an electric vehicle conversion?

Hello Chris!  I've been asking the same type of question on here and they've been very helpful.  Something that might benefit you is a place called PROFORMANCE in australia.  They build sweet diffs custom in thier shop and you are fortunate enough to live there.  They could deffinately help you with your gearing, size and strength issues.  Hope this helps!

Board footera