Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

10/16/2012 3:41 pm  #1

Jag suspension

Hi guys, just joined and i'm glad I found your site. I have a 1927 Ford "T" bucket with a Jag front and rear suspension. (all chrome) The car was built about 12 yrs ago and as such is now dsue for some new brakes, bushings etc. Now for my first question. How can I tell what IFS and IRS I have in order to purchase the necessary parts. (not a lot of pictures on the net of the various years)  I believe I have a 1972 XJ6  ?   only because I have read that's the model/year usually used with these kind of builds. Most of the rubber in the tie rods (where it is greased) is all but gone. (dried out). My guess is the bushings also need replacing. As for the brakes. At first I had to really stand on the pedal to get the car to stop. I bled all the brakes and that helped alot but I am still not happy with the way thay work. Looking at the calipers and pads when the brakes are applied show little or no movement? This bothers me as I feel the pads should show signs of opening and closing. or, maybe I am expecting to much clearance between the pads and the rotar? In addition it appears the rubber boot covering the rod that leads between the brake pedel and master cylinder is split. I don't know how to tell if it is a Jag MS or something else was used. It does contain two chambers. However, when I bled the brakes the rear bowl of the master cylinder brake fluid went down bleeding both front and rear. I assumed that each should have gone down with respect to the front and or back. I know I am probably asking a lot od dumb questions but my hope is that someone will not mind answering them. Thanks in advance for your help.

10/17/2012 5:46 am  #2

Re: Jag suspension

If possible do a few more post's and then show some pictures as it will help with ID ing  the set up. I am by no means an expert but there are some very educated people on here who are !!!!!!!

10/17/2012 8:54 am  #3

Tooltime. I attempted to download pictures but was told before I could do that I would have to have had two prior postings because of spam. I don't know if this reply will count as a posting but here goes.

10/17/2012 9:03 am  #4

I'll try again.

Front right side. The axle looks like an early Ford? For all I know about jags this could be a Jag IFS ?
Second pic. is the rear left side.
Third pic. is rear center of the IRS.
Forth pic. is an overall view.

10/17/2012 9:06 am  #5

When I posted the pictures the pic. came out in reverse order that I entered them.

10/18/2012 3:41 pm  #6

Looks like a 72 rear with stock brakes and E brake. The front I am not sure at all of its make.

There may be a proportioning  valve that affects the pressure on the rears vs fronts. Also look at flex hoses for bulging or interior deterioration which can block them. The pads shouldn't retract at all. If the master is under the floor usually 2 lbs check valves are installed in line to maintain some pressure.

Take a look here

http://www.mbmbrakeboosters.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=8&Itemid=16

10/18/2012 5:08 pm  #7

27-T.
That's one of the nicest looking IRS setups I have ever seen. You posted here in the lounge so I think many members never noticed this thread. You need to put this up top.

I see the GA tags, where you at?

Ralphy

10/19/2012 9:32 am  #8

Thanks. I'm in Minnesota. The "T" is out of georgia... I'm not sure how I can edit my posts. Anyway, any ideas as to what I have? Thanks again.

10/19/2012 1:38 pm  #9

All your posts have Delete, Edit and Quote at the bottom right. Click Edit!

Ralphy

10/20/2012 7:43 am  #10

I had some numbers stamped into mine on the flat surface where the rear cover bolts on. They were somewhat confusing to me but lead me to believe I was working with a 83 center section with some other years parts bolted to it.

10/22/2012 11:08 am  #11

While the rears are all pretty much the same, good luck finding out what year it is. Doesn't really matter. The front on the other hand is not a Jag. Not sure what it is as the pics don't show a whole lot. But no way it's a Jag. Look how small the calipers are! If it is from a Jag, it was from a newer model that I'm not familiar with. It for sure isn't the Jag IFS that so many people use.

97' C5 Corvette, 46' International Harvester K3 Street Rod

46' International "Harvester of Sorrow" Build Thread
http://www.killbillet.com/showthread.php?t=24127

8/07/2013 2:28 pm  #12

You are all looking at a Series 1 E-Type (XKE) front suspension. Upper and lower control arms, upright, caliper and rotor. Tie rod attachment looks a bit strange, though. I hope that is helpful.

Board footera