Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

6/21/2012 5:07 am  #1

Jaguar/C-4 Hybrid?

Think this through with me...

What if one were to utilize a Jaguar center section with a C-4 Corvette upright and trailing arms? The lower control arm (dogbone) would need to be replaced with two arms (to keep the dual coil overs) with either heim joints or bushings that would allow some flex (so as not to fight the trailing arms). This would also allow me to run outboard, C-4 through C-6 brakes (I have C-6 Z06 front and rear). It would also allow for adjustable toe, and, depending on manipulation of the trailing arms, adjustable anti-squat.

I's model it if I could, but.... Hey, I'm a writer, not a CAD designer! LOL

Shiny Side Up!
Bill

Check out my latest project, "In the Company of Devils" at www.WilliamKElliott.com

6/21/2012 5:47 am  #2

Re: Jaguar/C-4 Hybrid?

Bill - I ask what is special about the Jag center section?  Do yu have one alreaddy?  It  certainly has a following here and lots of support - but if going to an outboard C6 Brakes etc - maybe just a complete C5/C6 setup is in order.  I was doing some modeling  (sometime writer - mostly engineer) and concluded for me I'd just build my own subframe setup as I had too much invested in the Diff, Halfshafts, Spindles, Brakes, etc already.

The C5/6 subframe could be readily adapted to maybe what you are looking for.   If you have the  C6 Zo6 - why not use it?!
I'm away from home so would be a week plus before I could send any of my diagrams, etc.

Cheers - Jim

UNDERCONSTRUCTION! Highly Modified C3 Corvette
         Dual Wishbone IRS w Subframe + Custom Uprights

6/21/2012 6:17 am  #3

phantomjock wrote:

Bill - I ask what is special about the Jag center section?  Do you have one alreaddy?  It  certainly has a following here and lots of support - but if going to an outboard C6 Brakes etc - maybe just a complete C5/C6 setup is in order.  I was doing some modeling  (sometime writer - mostly engineer) and concluded for me I'd just build my own subframe setup as I had too much invested in the Diff, Halfshafts, Spindles, Brakes, etc already.

The C5/6 subframe could be readily adapted to maybe what you are looking for.   If you have the  C6 Zo6 - why not use it?!
I'm away from home so would be a week plus before I could send any of my diagrams, etc.

Cheers - Jim

Thanks for your reply!

A few reasons on the Jag center. It's inexpensive, it's strong, and it has many bolt-on locations, whereas the C-4 has that huge batwing and rear leafspring bracket. Thus I think it will be easier to construct a subframe to mount the Jag unit in the back of my Olds.

The C-5 & C-6 rears utilize upper and lower control arms, and thus are neigh on impossible to mount to my '72 Olds frame without cutting out major portions of it.

The plus of the C-4 from the halfshafts out is that it utilizes the halfshafts as an upper arm, just like the Jag, but also uses trailing arms, which I think will better handle the HP without wheel hop.

I do not have the C-6 components other than the brake calipers (6-piston front, 4-piston rear), but they are easily adapted to the C-4 mounts. Realistically, I do not need to use the C-6 rear brakes, but since I have the calipers...

Shiny Side Up!
Bill

Check out my latest project, "In the Company of Devils" at www.WilliamKElliott.com

7/04/2012 8:17 am  #4

I do believe I have decided to pull the trigger. I just put my Ford 9" (set up for a '68-'72) GM A-body up for sale. Once I have some cash, the shopping spree will commence!

Shiny Side Up!
Bill

7/05/2012 8:15 pm  #5

Just a thought:  If you're committed to using the Jag center section but want better 4-piston rear brakes, perhaps you could replace the rear 2-piston Jaguar calipers with a set of 4-piston Jaguar calipers from the front of a 198x-1987 XJ6.  I don't know if the bolt pattern is the same or not, but I have seen it done in pictures.  You would probably be able to use an off-the-shelf Wilwood vented rotor if you made a simple custom rotor hat.

BTW, this would be an inboard setup.

7/06/2012 3:39 am  #6

FastKat wrote:

Just a thought:  If you're committed to using the Jag center section but want better 4-piston rear brakes, perhaps you could replace the rear 2-piston Jaguar calipers with a set of 4-piston Jaguar calipers from the front of a 198x-1987 XJ6.  I don't know if the bolt pattern is the same or not, but I have seen it done in pictures.  You would probably be able to use an off-the-shelf Wilwood vented rotor if you made a simple custom rotor hat.

BTW, this would be an inboard setup.

Interesting thought.

I do think there is something to be said for the C-4 trailing arms though, especially given the weight of the car and the amount of HP.

Hmmmm........

Shiny Side Up!
Bill

7/06/2012 5:48 am  #7

What kind of car, engine, trans, tires, application, etc?

Here's a video of a guy with a twin-turbo 454 Jaguar XJ6 race car.  He has a pretty much stock IRS, except that he removed the radius arms and replaced them with a set of new radius arms that tie in on the same plane as the LCAs, so there is no toe deflection when the suspension compresses.  I think that TT 454 has some torque - look at the way he pulls on the other racers through the straights.  His car is a 3-speed auto.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6OGxHg3eIg

7/06/2012 8:37 am  #8

FastKat wrote:

What kind of car, engine, trans, tires, application, etc?

Here's a video of a guy with a twin-turbo 454 Jaguar XJ6 race car.  He has a pretty much stock IRS, except that he removed the radius arms and replaced them with a set of new radius arms that tie in on the same plane as the LCAs, so there is no toe deflection when the suspension compresses.  I think that TT 454 has some torque - look at the way he pulls on the other racers through the straights.  His car is a 3-speed auto.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6OGxHg3eIg

I'm probably putting out 550hp with my injected 454, backed by a Richmond Gear 5-speed.

It's not just the bigger, outboard brakes that appeal to me. With the trailing arm 'Vette uprights:

-The loads will be transferred via the trailing arms directly to the frame, rather that up through the center section. 
-The combination of the trailing arms and the toe-tie rod, axle breakage should be less of a concern as there is more holding the upright in place.
-Larger, outboard brakes.
-Adjustable toe, and anti-squat.

The car is a street car. Kind of a cross between an American Muscle Car and a European GT. Big, comfortable, fast, smooth, etc.  Tires are an unknown, but probably a 17" rim, with a 255 to 305 in with.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill

Last edited by ProTouring442 (7/06/2012 8:41 am)

Board footera