Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

5/21/2012 2:18 pm  #1

One more try for a little information.

Hey, guys, I posted this before, but nobody answered... Need help identifying my Jag setup. I have the rear end broken down now, and need to order the disk/pads/caliper rebuild kit, but since I don't know exactly what the thing came from, I can't order till I have confirmation of what the heck it is..

So here goes..
herethe 's what's in casting on the bottom..."CO4HU004032" then under that is "+GF+L".
and the tag (there is only one) indicates 2.88 ratio.. there is a stamping in the machined surface next to the cover the appears to be an "L" above an "E" and what looks like "2" and "5". There is also an "86" above the "2" and "5"... so I guess it's an '86 ???? The flange to flange dimension is 61" (or 60.75?)

Thanks fellas.........

Paul

PS... it appears that photobucket has LOST MY FRIGGIN ACCOUNT along with a couple of hundred pictures in a number of albums....GRRRRRRRR

5/21/2012 3:00 pm  #2

Re: One more try for a little information.

Based on your track width and ratio you have an XJS.  I could be wrong,  so call Curt Hamilton with a description and he will tell you. 1-818-943-2323.

Last edited by irstang (5/21/2012 3:08 pm)

"'Cars are like primates. They need to squat to go.'—Carroll Smith"

5/21/2012 3:23 pm  #3

THANKS, Stang !

5/21/2012 4:29 pm  #4

On your gear ratio, go ahead and count how many turns on the input until you get one turn on the wheels.  Tags don't always get updated if the rear get rebuilt.  Mine has a tag indicating 43/13 (3.30) but is actually a 3.54.  Somewhere along the way someone rebuilt it.  Also, if you have rear cover off, the ratio is stamped on the ring gear.
Also, if you have stub axles out, take a look at the bearings.  You could have ball bearing but I would expect a tapered roller bearing.
Good luck!

5/21/2012 6:26 pm  #5

Thanks, Radar... havent pulled the diff apart yet, just got the brakes off... one of the pistons looks as if it was stuck, and hasn't done anything to slow down the car since it was installed...

Talked to Curt Hamilton for about 2 hours this afternoon......WHAT A TRIP that guy is... turns out he took flight training in the little town where my Mom was born in South Texas...

COOL guy......and he "knows everything" there is to know about Jag rear ends...

5/21/2012 11:51 pm  #6

I hope you had the tape recorder running.  Curt Hamilton is a wealth of information and his workmanship is excellent.  Check out dlyle's thread http://irsforum.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=300

Note the cad plated calipers and the gusseted lower control arms.  The tubular cage shown is Curt's design.
What you don't see in mine is the posi-lock and new gears.

Last edited by irstang (5/21/2012 11:52 pm)

"'Cars are like primates. They need to squat to go.'—Carroll Smith"

Board footera