Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

4/25/2012 1:40 pm  #1

Engine Thread

Had this view of three different Ford motors, size comparison.

4/27/2012 9:50 pm  #2

Re: Engine Thread

I believe the new Ford Coyote would fall in the Modular category, would it not? This seems like the perfect engine for my Mustang.  Over in the Roll Center thread we have been discussing the weights of engines because they are a large determinant in where the center of gravity ends up.  This engine weight chart has bounced around the internet before: http://fixrambler.com/engineweightchart.txt
If you are considering a low buck torque monster V8 for a street rod, how about a Buick 350?  It weighs less than a Ford 289!  I wish TA Performance would make some aluminum heads for this engine.

"'Cars are like primates. They need to squat to go.'—Carroll Smith"

4/30/2012 1:12 am  #3

The 5.0 Coyote engine is in a different family from the modular engine.  No parts are shared nor can they be swapped.  The only problem with building a Buick 350 is the  lack of available performance parts from the factory or in the aftermarket.  I just looked in my newest PAW catalog and found virtually nothing for any Buicks big or small block V8's  The most common Buick the aftermarket appears to support is the 231 turbo V6.  Ford ,Chevy, and Dodge had literally thousands of parts in the same catalog.   I am well aware that there are places that sell performance parts for V8 Buicks they just are not numerous in the mainstream.  From the consumer's point of view that would be a impediment to building a performance Buick.  I have no idea how strong the 350 Buick short block can be built.   Was the little buick ever offered from the factory with 4 bolt mains or a forged steel crank? Did they come with forged steel rods or did they get the crappy cast iron rods like GM used in some Pontiac engines?  Can the cylinders be bored out .060 with out being too thin?  Most thin wall cast blocks cannot be bored more than .030 with out running into problems.  As I recall the heads on buicks in general dont flow too well so they will make low RPM torque but will struggle making serious horsepower. That is until you get to the stage II 455 GS heads.  I have seen lots of damn fast GS 455 cars but no 350's  If they are that uncommon the law's of supply and demand would dictate a higher price on performance parts.  So realistically  how cheap can they be?  I have no malice toward the little Buick, I just havent seen any interest in them before.

4/30/2012 7:56 pm  #4

http://performanceunlimited.com/documents/engineweights.html

Last edited by Ralphy (4/30/2012 7:57 pm)

Board footera