Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

4/01/2012 3:03 pm  #1

Can these hubs be saved?

In the process of cleaning somethings up.  I found that my original hubs from my 85 xj were cracked.  So I went on the hunt to find some replacements.  Now up here things tend to be a bit more pricey then in the US.  So needing 2 hubs it was cheaper to find the whole assembly over just the hubs.

So I tracked down a 62 mk 10 rearend.  Proceeded to tear it apart and clean 70 years of gunk off to find this:

4/01/2012 3:09 pm  #2

Re: Can these hubs be saved?

Hard to see in this pic, but the front bearing on this hub broke, allowing the stub to contact the hub and basically wear down the inner hub surface.

Now there is still a small lip left where the seal can sit, but I will have to clean it up.  I have a feeling I will need to find a buddy with a lathe to turn it back to proper shape.  Might even have to "sleeve" it allow for a place for the seal to sit.

So I guess the question is, do I try and save it, or eat the loss and start looking for another hub?

Full size image here:

http://www.netquickposse.org/photos/index.php?album=bucket3&image=1+apr+2012+004.JPG&p=*full-image

4/01/2012 4:44 pm  #3

I can not speek to weather the hubs are repairable or not but I know en excellent source for some replacements.  Contact David Boger at www.everydayXJ.com

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

4/01/2012 5:13 pm  #4

Thanks I have been looking for that link!

BTW -  your original build pages for reference quite a bit while I was building my bucket.

Board footera