Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

3/28/2012 8:36 pm  #1

Anyone put a Jag IRS in an X frame Chevy 58 - 64 full size???

New to the to forum and liked the info I've seen so far.

My neighbor convinced me I should put a Jag IRS in my '59 El Camino for ride comfort, handling, and remove stress from the frame.  I think I've got a handle on what needs to be done and will include pics of everything mocked  up.

My current question is, what shocks to use?  I've seen the shocks should be about a 30 degree angle with 1 inch of compression left and two inches to expand.  However, I don't know what lengths of shocks are available.  The '59 is about 3600 - 3700 pounds.   My current thoughts are to run round tube through the cross member.  And use threaded bungs on each end of the tube for the top mount of the shocks.
I have an isolation mount to mount the center section to the cross member but thought I should get the shock length identified before tack welding anything into place.

Any advice is appreciated,
Ragan

Lets see if I can get pics uploaded correctly on the first try:
View showing Trailing arm using mount on frame from lower control arm mount used by live axle

Rear View with new cross member to be put in

Passenger Side view

Last edited by 303Radar (3/28/2012 8:48 pm)

3/28/2012 8:44 pm  #2

Re: Anyone put a Jag IRS in an X frame Chevy 58 - 64 full size???

First thing I would try is the stock Jag shocks in the stock Jag configuration.  I did that on my mustang, and found they were usable all be it a bit stiff 200# per coil over so 400# per side.  From there I determined that one 300# per side was the way to go.  Also if doing a custom job the closer you can get the coil over the vertical the better off you will be as you will maximize the efficiency of the shock and spring.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

3/28/2012 8:53 pm  #3

Using the original shocks would require a not throwing them away three years ago. 
This is why I'm curious what is available so I can mock something up for measurement before I buy.  Because I'm pretty far away from driving (the whole car is apart), I've probably got a couple/few years before worrying about the spring rate.  But, it is good for me to keep it in mind!

3/28/2012 11:30 pm  #4

Take a look at http://www.aldaneagle.com/shocks.html Part number 654.  Free length 13.4 inches with max compression 9.7.  If you set your ride height with them at 12.0 inches you will have a bit over 2 inches of compression and 1.5 inches of rebound.  Be sure and incorporate some bump stops to prevent the coils from going solid.  Once you get your mounting points where you want them, you can make some straps out of bar stock so you can roll the car around and work on it.  There are several choices of coil over manufacturers so you don't need to feel locked in with Aldan.

"'Cars are like primates. They need to squat to go.'—Carroll Smith"

3/30/2012 8:25 pm  #5

Thanks for the info on the shocks.  I have everything set at ride height and it looks like at ride height, I'll need a shock which is 14 inches.  I measured from the shock mount on the LCA to the bottom of the cross member.  If I drop the cross member at all, it will hang below the frame rails.  I had a moment of temporary insanity and thought about dropping everying but that would be linear and no effective change.  And with the bottom of the jacking plate at 7 inches off the ground, I don't know how much sense it will make to lower the ride.  I'm not looking for a low rider.

Looks like the Aldan 655 or similar shock is going to meet my needs.
Thanks for the info!

Board footera