Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

3/09/2012 1:24 pm  #1

Daydreaming Engines

With the old 289 long gone from my '65 Mustang convertible,  todays engine technology and horsepower wars bring many choices of engine replacement to mind.   It is not all about horsepower for me anymore and I am thinking 300 to 450hp would be all I would ever need.  I have modified my car with a Jag rear.  It has traction lock and 46/13 gears.  I am planning on running a close ratio 5sp manual transmission.  The front suspension is Mustang II.  The kit install looks like this picture I borrowed from RCMotorsports.  Their website is down at this writing so I will try to update with a larger picture later.

The motor mounts in the picture are set up to run an early ford small block, but I have not installed the mounts.  I have made some measurements and it looks like a 5.0 Coyote would fit with a bit of tunnel modification to clear the transmission.  The weight of the Coyote is about the same as the original 289 and Ford Racing prices have come down quite a bit with the introduction of the 5.4 and 5.8 supercharged engines.

Last edited by irstang (3/09/2012 1:28 pm)

"'Cars are like primates. They need to squat to go.'—Carroll Smith"

3/18/2012 4:40 pm  #2

Re: Daydreaming Engines

would you retrofit with a carburetor or run the EFI??  I wish there were as many modern options for Ford engines as The Chevy guys have with the LS7.  We are getting there but don't have nearly the choices they do.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

3/19/2012 6:30 pm  #3

Re: Daydreaming Engines

I'm thinking EFI but something different than what comes with the engine.  If money were no object:
http://www.hollywoodhotrods.com/Raybestos.htm

"'Cars are like primates. They need to squat to go.'—Carroll Smith"

Board footera