Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

3/05/2012 4:47 pm  #1

HELP ! i am new to IRS and need to figure out what i have

I am building a 23 T bucket and i have a Jag rear i think lol . i have no real knowledge about the IRS . i am rebuilding the one i have and now that i am at the stage i found out there are many diff types and years and i need parts so i can finish the build.

i will post pictures and try and give as much info as i can . thank you

3/05/2012 4:49 pm  #2

Re: HELP ! i am new to IRS and need to figure out what i have

Welcome Igor, you came to the right place.

3/05/2012 4:56 pm  #3

thank you ! i am not sure how to add pix yet but i can try and supply some info ......it has 2 tags on the cover .one says 46/13. one says 7.5...it also has a casting number on it next to the lower drain plug that says. C4HU-004-25 .....next to that looks like a logo that seems to be a upper case S inside a upper case B. .....how do i post pix?

3/05/2012 5:16 pm  #4

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

3/05/2012 5:19 pm  #5

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

3/05/2012 5:30 pm  #6

Igor you have it. You can load any pic the same way. Can't help to notice how similar that diff. is to a Corvette C3 iron unit. Surely outboard brakes?
I have been to your city, tracking across the Parker Ranch. If I'm not mistaken that road is one of Americas most dangerous?  I have a friend in Kona, the weather is so different in the two cities! Real estate is a little more reasonable over by you, yes?

Ralphy

3/05/2012 5:32 pm  #7

Is that an aluminum case?

Jim

3/05/2012 6:04 pm  #8

Looks like it's been bead blasted Jim. Iron!

3/05/2012 8:21 pm  #9

Welcome to the forum!!!  that looks like the basic Salisbury differential.  46/13 is the gear ratio which makes it a 3.54:1  As to the year I would need to see more parts.

Last edited by Daze (3/05/2012 8:22 pm)

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

3/05/2012 8:28 pm  #10

Day, so it's a 46 tooth ring gear and 13 pinion?

3/05/2012 8:31 pm  #11

yep that is how Jag does it, rather than putting the actual ratio they put the ring and pinion gear tooth counts.

3/06/2012 2:30 pm  #12

3/06/2012 2:34 pm  #13

3/06/2012 2:35 pm  #14

what are the measurements on the wish bones, and do you have any hub pix???

3/06/2012 2:35 pm  #15

3/06/2012 2:43 pm  #16

Ralphy... yes i am in the hilo side and it is alot wetter here than kona side lol. and the deadly rode is saddle rode also it has not been blasted at all..........i got it to look like that with the help of a wire brush and some SOS pads lol.  the pictures i just added is how it looked before o took it apart. and i am not 100% but i am not so sure the case is iron.....i have let it set since i got it all clean and the only thing on it getting surface rust is where the arms bolt up on both sides ........and the case is soft like alum. so not sure but when i take it to get it welded up ill ask my man and he can tell me 100%.....as for the hubs and all that i hope these pix will help since its all apart on the floor now lol.

3/06/2012 2:51 pm  #17

looks like your basic XJ6/12 or XJS rear end.  As long as the hubs are not the spinner type than it is probably not an XKE rear end.  Good news is with the exception of the drive axles (shorty axle that slide in to the splines of the carrier , bolts to the side of the case and attached the carrier to the stub axle) all the XJ6/12 and XJS rear ends use the same seals bearings and other parts.

3/06/2012 2:57 pm  #18

No spinners .........any way of knowing what year....I need to order parts and I have no idea what to tell them.any draw back to running the Shorty arms?

3/06/2012 3:05 pm  #19

As long as it is not an XKE unit (which I don't think it is) all the parts are the same regardless of year except the above mentioned drive axles.  If it uses ball bearings on the drive axles it is a 72 or older (series I)  if it uses two sets of tapered roller bearings on the drive axles it is a 72 or newer.  (series II or III)  Given the gear ratio it is not likely a series III as most of those were 2.88:1 and 3.33:1 (or so not sure the exact ratios of the top of my head other than a 2.8 something and a 3.3 something   ).  As to what the case is made of stick a refrigerator magnet to it.  If it sticks its steel, if not aluminum.

3/06/2012 3:15 pm  #20

By bearings you mean the ones in the hub?  And I will try the magnetic trick tonight

3/06/2012 4:22 pm  #21

no not the stub axles, I mean the drive axle bearings on the other end of the half shaft.  the drive axles are the parts bolted to the differential by 5 bolts.  They have 19 splines and slide in to the differential carrier.  You have to unbolt the 5 bolts on the outside of the differential and pull the drive axle out to determine the bearing type.

3/07/2012 6:12 am  #22

oh ok i got it. also magnet says iron ! not alum guess sos pads also help keep rust down

3/07/2012 7:40 am  #23

I am glad it is not aluminum.  yes it would have been cool and lighter had it been aluminum, but my concern was it was the exact same shape and design as the iron case and usually when they go from iron to aluminum you get more reinforcement to make up for the strength differences.

3/08/2012 3:42 am  #24

thank all you guys for the info i will keep this up to date as i get it all along...........anyone know of any nice hubs for sale that show more of the knuckle of the shorty arm.....i read that a guy just cuts the stock ones down but not sure i want to go cutting away at them if i dont have to

3/08/2012 9:10 am  #25

The only place I know of that was selling modified hubs was CWI and they are no longer in business.  The more material you remove the weaker you make the hub so you want to keep it to a minimum.  I removed the top edge of my hubs (for clearance not aesthetics) and I did it with a cut off wheel and my angle grinder.  it was a piece of cake.

3/09/2012 2:50 am  #26

you have any pix of how it looks after you trimmed it down ? i would love to see

3/09/2012 10:42 am  #27

3/10/2012 3:50 am  #28

looks great!  what type of paint did you use? i want to paint the case but not sure what type is best. i was thinking about the same enamel as the engine paint....but i might want to do a clear coat instead of paint to give it the raw look.

3/10/2012 9:49 am  #29

The only paint on my IRS is on the differential.  the rest is all powder coated.  To cut the lip off I put a piece of masking tape from one side to the other and then just used a cut off wheel.

3/11/2012 5:33 am  #30

So I got going on modification to my hubs. Got it trimmed down and half way polished. Hands are sore and its time for bed lol. Ill post pix tomorrow .....or today depending on the time difference.

Board footera