Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

2/12/2012 8:47 am  #1

BRAKES!! For IRS Systems -- Parking & Emergency please

Well, I am doing some thinking on options for brakes on an IRS.

Clearly, the Jag IRS is pretty sweet - having the brakes inboard. 
For parking/emergency brakes, other options are more or less conventional.  On the C3 Corvette, the parking brake is located inside the "tophat" on the brake rotor. 

In my mod, I have replaced the C3 brake system with a lightweight Aerospace Components rig, and now have no room for such an approach.

I am planning on using a hydraulic system, having the parking brake function replace with a holding system that keeps pressure on the system. 

While this will be good for some applications, if I loose hydraulic pressure/fluid, I will have NO BRAKES!  Rather than do the Fred Flintstone

or, as this guy in traffic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENiNwoCxUAg

- I started brainstorming about other options.   The simplest would be the antique - primitive approach:

Then, I saw one that mounted the parking/e-brake on the drive shaft.

Here is one offered by Speedway - won't fit my application - but a lot of good info:

Though designed for the Ford Diff, there are some adapters available for the Corvette:

and some modifications possible too:

Having bought a pair of Wilwood  120-2280 calipers I'm thinking, I can design and fab a mount for the calipers - and just build/modify a rotor like this one from Speedway and other sources.  These are designed for Spindle mounted Brakes - on some rat rods etc:

These rotors wont fit the C3 rear diff - but give a good idea of the size and materials required.   I should be able to do this as I'll be raising the diff anyway and that will give more frame clearance for the rotor mounted on the pinion.     A 10 inch diameter ought to be about right. 

Now - As I am contemplating designing and building my own uprights for the IRS, there is always the back up plan of mounting these smaller calipers on the upright - more normal and then have 2 - one for brakes - Aerospace, and the other Wilwood Spot as the parking/e-Brake. 

Thinking out loud here -- any other approaches? 
Any sources for that 10 inch disk? 

Cheers- Jim

UNDERCONSTRUCTION! Highly Modified C3 Corvette
         Dual Wishbone IRS w Subframe + Custom Uprights

2/13/2012 2:47 am  #2

Re: BRAKES!! For IRS Systems -- Parking & Emergency please

I like the line lock because it works at the wheel. Plus it weighs the least.
The "antique - primitive approach", I researched that one on the drive shaft. The plus using a DS PB is it does not have to create as much force.

Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy (2/13/2012 2:50 am)

2/13/2012 7:48 pm  #3

If you use a drilled rotor you can simply use a locking pin that engages the drilled holes. Very light and simple. Wouldn't work as a brake, but it'll keep the car from going anywhere.

Jim

2/13/2012 7:53 pm  #4

Good idea!  Better than using a brick as a "Chock."
All kidding aside - I had not considered that. 
Now to train  the "Trunk Monkey " to slip the pin in under way when the hydraulics quit!

Jim

2/14/2012 7:30 am  #5

About the only example of a catastrophic brake failure with no warning that I know of, was a line failure on a single circuit system where rust pitting allowed the line to rupture. No there is one other, a drum brake system, again single circuit, where one of the adjusters had a propensity to pop out of place. All other brake failures that I am personally aware of involved warning signs or were partial failures, still allowing the vehicle to be stopped. So you have to ask yourself, how likely is it that the e-brake will ever be used for stopping the car? If you want to use it to initiate skids or to play in the snow that is a different matter. But with a dual circuit system which is anywhere near properly maintained it is highly unlikely that full braking ability will be lost without warning, and even blowing a line would leave the second circuit intact, providing equal or better braking compared to the e-brake.

Historically, when hydraulic brakes were first fitted a mechanical back-up in the form of cable or rod actuation was retained because people just didn't trust the new hydraulics. The e-brake is the last vestige of that mistrust, yet these days most drivers put it in park and never touch the thing. If their brakes failed, very few would have the presence of mind to look for and effectively use the e-brake. This tells me that it has probably out lived its effectiveness and has become a back-up system that is never used, and if your car is a bit overpowered as most are for our segment, then the simple expedient of downshifting and switching off the ignition will quickly slow our vehicle to a stop. In short, the e-brake has become doubly redundant.

Still, I will admit to having slavishly installed and connected the independent e-brake calipers on my Jag IRS. I even bought the reverse locking pawl for the brake lever. Not that I consider locking the rear wheels the "correct" way to initiate a slide mind you, because I don't. It's just something else to play with.

Jim

2/14/2012 12:04 pm  #6

I think they are misnomered calling them Emergency brakes like Jim says. However calling them a Parking brake would still be best. The only instance I have ever had where using it would have saved me grief was parking my TA on a small grade at work  and having the car slip out of park and gently roll into a 3 yd paylaoder wrecking a quater panel. True the failure was with the cable bracket on the trans but still unexpected. Any more I will always come up with some kind of Parking brake on a rig.

2/14/2012 3:58 pm  #7

As a Phantom jock - had more than my fare share of Hydraulic failures. 
So, maybe I am just being a bit overcautious.   With the jet - we always had the Barrier & Hook option.
I'd hate to flunk a Tech Inspection if they wanted to see some sort of "back-up"system.
(And, No, I haven't checked the rules - but I'd expect them to change a few times before I'm ready.)

Cheers - Jim

2/15/2012 3:52 pm  #8

Wow phantomjock when you make a post you go all out    I personally like the dual caliper system at the hub especially since you plan on custom building your hubs however the down side is added unsprung weight.  As to the pinion option yes a rod through the rotor hole would work as a parking break but it would be hard to engage as it is not likely that the holes would be specifically lined up with the pin at any given stopping point and ever harder to disengage as the act of locking would put quite a bit of pressure on the pin and rotor as the car rolled just enough to tighten everything up.  Willwood sells a whole series of small brakes designed for ATVs and such which would be ideal for a custom  pinion parking break.  Also keep in mind floor clearance.  I looked in to a pinion break designed specifically for the Jag and I realized the rotor would hit my floor pans.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

2/15/2012 4:53 pm  #9

Daze - Thanks for the complement.
I try and do a bit of research - and sometimes my researched posts run long -- but hopefully saves someone else more than a few "clicks."

My adaptation is for a car that will initially lose the floor pan then build it back -- today's plan.

So DAZE - what is your opinion of the spot calipers - did I do ok for this venture?  Mechanical - I expect I'll add a spring to make sure they do release, eh?

Cheers - Jim

2/15/2012 6:57 pm  #10

they are a good caliper with about 1 square inch of pad so not not great for a panic stop but better than nothing and good for a parking break.  what I don't like is the free floating design.  The reason I don't like it is it doesn't come with a sliding bracket.  I like a fully floating caliper to come with its machined bracketry to match.  spring is a good idea

Last edited by Daze (2/15/2012 6:57 pm)

2/16/2012 8:33 am  #11

Some early disc brake motorcycles came with a cable operated caliper which was very small and light, but of course they also used very thin rotors. I think some dirt bikes still use them as well.

The JAG uses a separate caliper for the parking brake, also cable operated. The mechanicals are less than ideal and they are prone to squeak but they work well otherwise. Several imports used a rear caliper that included a cable actuator for the piston but the ones I've seen are single piston sliding calipers, which I'm not that crazy about. I've even seen a small disc with a button caliper on a tractor's transmission input shaft. Cute but not particularly effective. And then there is the bicycle stuff. Extremely light and effective for it's size, perhaps good examples for a custom set of calipers?

If you want to stop the car with it, good luck as weight balance already has you doomed. Holding it once stopped isn't much of a job. I guess you could always throw out an anchor.

Jim

4/06/2012 9:20 pm  #12

Wilwood Combination P-Brake Calipers

These combination hydraulic/mechanical calipers from Wilwood look like something we could adapt to an IRS system.
"Caliper uses hydraulic pressure for stopping and a mechanical locking mechanism for a parking brake."--Wilwood
http://www.wilwood.com/Calipers/CaliperList.aspx?subname=Combination%20P-Brake

Last edited by irstang (4/07/2012 11:36 pm)

"'Cars are like primates. They need to squat to go.'—Carroll Smith"

4/07/2012 7:17 am  #13

irstang wrote:

Wilwood Combination P-Brake Calipers

These combination hydraulic/mechanical calipers from Wilwood look like something we could adapt to an IRS system.
"Caliper uses hydraulic pressure for stopping and a mechanical locking mechanism for a parking brake."--Wilwood
http://www.wilwood.com/Calipers/CaliperList.aspx?subname=Combination%20P-Brake

I think I can assume this would be thier version of the GM eldorado caliper. Uses a threaded ratchet system to keep the piston adjusted in. Perhaps they have streamlined it a bit to cut back on the mass?

I'm running a conversion kit that uses the GM styleon my van. they fit the bill and may work ok on an outboard mounted IRS system ok. Be alot of unsprung weight added tho if that was an issue.

4/07/2012 3:47 pm  #14

calipers are the easy part the problem I have found is getting rotors that don't cost me an arm and a leg.

4/07/2012 7:01 pm  #15

Daze, what is the main hardship of finding rotors that work ok? The center hole , stud size or the diameter?

4/09/2012 9:17 am  #16

Daze - What style are you looking for?  I can regularly find the rear inboard rotors for less than $30/piece.

Plug this into a browser and set the sort lowest first
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A3%257C39%253A1&rt=nc&_nkw=jaguar+brake+rotors&_dmpt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&_sticky=1&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_sop=2&_sc=1

4/09/2012 4:32 pm  #17

Think he wants ventilated inboard rotors...

4/16/2012 1:16 am  #18

Daze wrote:

calipers are the easy part the problem I have found is getting rotors that don't cost me an arm and a leg.

Daze,
Have you talked to your friends at Wilwood about their Narrow Dynalite Rear Inboard Rear Brake Kits and possibly adapting them to a Jag IRS?

"'Cars are like primates. They need to squat to go.'—Carroll Smith"

4/16/2012 11:50 am  #19

I have talked to them and they don't want to venture in to a market that already is supported even if what is out there is way overpriced

Board footera