Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

1/26/2012 12:20 pm  #1

Springs on jag irs units

Hi guys.
What springs are you using on the stock jag irs systems under classic mustangs(1967 coupe to be specific)?
Are you using 4 springs or 2 larger ones and which shocks and how many?
I have searched all the posts on here and didn't come up with any info.
Thanks for the great forum.

1/26/2012 12:52 pm  #2

Re: Springs on jag irs units

Daze, the board owner should be able to help a lot with that question.
Mail him.

http://irsforum.boardhost.com/profile.php?id=2

Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy (1/26/2012 1:27 pm)

1/26/2012 8:49 pm  #3

I started out with the two OEM Jag per side on my Mustang and it was to much so I talked to Duane carling and asked him what he uses with the "OEM" mustang IRS and he uses a single coil over per side 300#

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

2/04/2012 11:54 pm  #4

I'm still messing with spring rates on my '65 Mustang convertible.  I've decided on 4 coilovers but until I get the car up to curb weight I can't calculate what spring rate to use.  For now I am installing some stock XKE coil overs. I was looking through my old pictures and found this torsion bar idea I considered.   My Mustang project kind of got side lined while I finished assembling my '57 Nomad.  Time to clean off the dust and get back to it. 

"'Cars are like primates. They need to squat to go.'—Carroll Smith"

2/06/2012 3:54 pm  #5

hey irstang WELCOME BACK!!!  On my 64.5 I wanted the springs to be a little soft so that I would get decent suspension movement so  I originally got one 275# springs for my QA1 coil overs.  To soft, so then I order the 300# that Duane recommended and they seam about perfect.  The OEM Jag units are 200# each so the sum total is 400#  For a mustang I would say some where between 300 and 400 is about perfect depending on how stiff you want the ride to be.

2/06/2012 4:46 pm  #6

Just watching on the sidelines here and wondering what a pair of heavy duty Motorcycle shocks would give you? 
Some pretty nice ones out there and prices much less than the QA1s etc -- might work a dual mount easy?
I'm back on the bench on this one now...  (Football talk over for the season now)
Cheers - Jim

UNDERCONSTRUCTION! Highly Modified C3 Corvette
         Dual Wishbone IRS w Subframe + Custom Uprights

2/06/2012 4:48 pm  #7

Good idea, but are the spring rates heavy enough???  obviously a Motorcycle weighs a lot less than a car and if a stiffer spring can be put on a motorcycle shock will the shock be up to the extra weight and spring rate???

Last edited by Daze (2/06/2012 4:49 pm)

2/06/2012 6:02 pm  #8

The torsen bar is a cool idea but I dont think the stock LCA would be up to the task.  As far as motorcycle shocks. Many large bikes use a single rear shock  with a compounding linkage.   The best example I know of is the CBR 900rr I own has a spring rate of 275 lb/in and it is a super light bike for its displacement. Big road cruisers can weigh in at over 12oo lbs and some are equipped with a single rear coil over.  The shocks would be superior to nearly any thing available for the Jag configuration.  The only real drawbacks would have to be price and they have half the travel the stock Jag ones do.
    Back to the Torsion spring idea.   I think that Torsion bars  would make big tube exhaust more  feasible..   From the beginning I have been struggling with my exhaust routing.  I have a tubing bender and want to use 3" exhaust all the way back but I have found that to be a pipe dream.   I would have to bend a tighter radius than 3" can be bent.  I have also been working with some rectangle tube I purchased on e-bay.  I am still making the rectangle mandrels for my bender.   The big  question is if I can bend it with as tight as I need with out kinking.   I have seen a Mustang  with the 3" exhaust routed through the floor , into the trunk then back through the floor to exit in the normal position.   Not the route I want to use.

2/06/2012 8:45 pm  #9

On the motorcycle shocks, I bet if a person hit a good swapmeet, you could pick up 4 old  mid 70's electraglide shocks for around 100$ to experiment with. Think I'm gonna keep an eye out for stuff like that now.

3/11/2012 9:18 pm  #10

Hi Daze.  Good to be back.  Finished working on my Nomad and now I can finally get back to the '65 Mustang project.   I just completed some mini-tubs and am considering a safer fuel tank.  You and I had quite a discussion going on in the old forum about spring pre-load, spring rates and motion ratio.  Like you, I arrived at something between 300 and 400 pounds as a place to start.  I'm hoping the early jaguar springs will work with my heavier convertible.
Cecil,  do you have any corner weight data for your coupe? 

Last edited by irstang (3/11/2012 9:25 pm)

3/17/2012 12:11 pm  #11

The curb weight stock is 3400 pounds with 58%(1972 lbs)front end and 42% (1428 lbs) on the rear axle so 1428 divided by 2 = 714 lbs per side on a stock ford axle car.
I wouls have to add some weight to that number for the jag irs unit.
So about what size springs would you reccommend?
Thank you for your time.

3/17/2012 7:12 pm  #12

Knowing the corner weights on the rear is the first step in calculating the spring rate you need for your Mustang.  I'm going to assume you want to stick with two springs per side unless you tell me different.  Jaguar put two springs on each side to keep from twisting the LCA's.  Jaguars ride like a dream as they tuned the frequency of the suspension pretty well.   Jaguar E-types weigh between 2770 and 3018 lbs depending on the model.  They have a much better weight distribution than a Mustang;  close to 49% at the rear as I recall.  So a Jaguar average weight of  2894 would have a rear end weight of  1418 pounds.  Close enough that I recommend you try some stock Jaguar XKE coil-overs.

If you do not want to try the stock springs, you will have to  calculate spring rate.  There are a bunch of questions before you can proceed to the second step; determining the motion ratio of your springs. What donor suspension do you have?  Are you using the stock cage or are you mounting the suspension out of the cage?  What hub to hub dimension are you planning to use?  Once you have your suspension mounted and set the ride height you want, it is easy to measure the motion ratio.  Motion ratio is simply spring travel divided by wheel travel.  As you know, the coil-overs are canted on an angle and they don't provide a downward force directly at the tire patch, but rather act part way up a lever arm.  For these reasons, a 400 lb/in spring, for example, is not going to provide 400 lbs for every inch the wheel deflects.

In order to complete the calculation you will need to know the compression  of the spring in the coil-over at pre-load and how much the spring compresses from pre-load to ride-height.  Remember there is only about three inches of travel in a Jag coil-over to work with.  I know I have not answered your question exactly, but until I have all the data, all I can do is give you my best estimate.  You might want to contact Mustsed, see posts transferred from the old forum, to see what coil-overs he used in his '67.

This is a picture of my '65 when I first tacked the tubular cage in place.  The straps  are about maximum length for a coil-over at full extension.   I was ready at this point to determine motion ratio and determine the coil-over compressed length.   After running some numbers, I have decided to try some stock XKE coil-overs.

Last edited by irstang (3/17/2012 11:48 pm)

Board footera