Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

1/10/2012 9:29 am  #1

Why Have A Board Dedicated To Just IRS's?

This has been a real pet peeve for me. I wanted to know more about independent rear suspension. We have the internet today that brings us all sorts of info. So you would think simple. Just start searching and I will have all I need to know right at my finger tips. Oh no! This has to be one of the most bragged about but never talked about features of a modern automobile. I just came across the Birkin S-3 IRS Wide Track. Go and search it. They are so proud that they installed an IRS they put it in the name. Upon your search you find countless pics of the motor, oh and look at that interior, they posted five angles of that rich interior. Here's the front suspension, it's cheesy, but lookie lookie! Uhm............ where's the IRS? NOT A SINGLE SHOT!  I mean, you named the car a Birkin S-3 IRS Wide Track. If they talk about it, it's very short. Yes the IRS is most desired but least seen or talked about, why? I think most look at it like some sort of voodoo science. But it is, sort of. Over most peoples heads. Is it stupidity or ignorance? I think ignorance and that is why the web needs a board dedicated to the IRS. Please if you see something that looks or reads new. If your afraid to post it, email the link to Daze (Day) and he will go over it I'm sure.

Enjoy The Board!
Ralphy 

Last edited by Ralphy (1/10/2012 10:37 am)

1/10/2012 10:46 am  #2

Re: Why Have A Board Dedicated To Just IRS's?

All good points!!!  but there is one more reason... and this one of the main reasons why I started this forum, people don't want to talk about you cutting up "their" cars on a forum specific to their type of car.   If you go to a Jaguar specific forum and ask IRS questions you will get tons of answers, but if you give them more info in an attempt to be honest and tell them that you are asking all these question because you are putting a Jaguar IRS in a Mustang, the attitude for some of the people changes.  Not everyones attitude changes, you can still get good info but you will also get some negative feedback and fewer answers. I am assuming the same true in your experience of other model forums??

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

1/11/2012 3:19 am  #3

Daze -
I find  the Forums I frequent Vettemod and Digital Corvettes, there are a fair number of good folks that will help in the "Mod" efforts.  Most of the really hard cases are on a few of the other forums and I only lurke there occassionaly.

This is a great place to get a heap of help and brainstorming specifically focused on IRS.  A few others - and I'm sure Ralphy does some datamining there too - include Lateral-G and some of the Camaro and naturally the Cobra/GT-40 forums where they are building from frame up.  I find a heap of info - and will join - the LOCOST forums - again ground up builds. Also, the D-Sports and Sports Racer forums are a source of some setup and tuning - less design and fab.

One thing that I think we need to remember that the IRS needs to function in concert with the front suspension, weight and balance, etc. a separate stub within the context of the IRS forum will certainly cover those aspects I'm sure.

Great Job BTW - and Thanks!

Cheers - Jim

UNDERCONSTRUCTION! Highly Modified C3 Corvette
         Dual Wishbone IRS w Subframe + Custom Uprights

1/11/2012 8:26 am  #4

PJ,
I do understand where Day is coming from. I have never had issues, however I could read the vibe on some boards. So I would not post foreign questions to those boards. FE Forums is one where most are purists. Your right about VetteMod. They never gave me crap owning a Cobra even, nice guys. I have even met up with one guy there.

Anyhow, just want all to know there is some method to my info I post. I always bold title the pics and then provide a link. So if that pic sparks your interest, you can read where it came from. Then even contact the builder by any means. I have done this with the the guy that has the C3 in the Cougar.

I think I'm worn frig-in out from searching! LOL!

Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy (1/11/2012 8:28 am)

1/11/2012 4:21 pm  #5

Ralphy wrote:

I think I'm worn frig-in out from searching! LOL!

Ralphy

You should be!  And you must be tired from all the time spent in the "DATA"mine!
Do you ever sleep?  Tyrellracing I know doesn't,  I don't - man  are we twisted?  Or Independently-Sprung?

Cheers - Jim

BTW - I have YET to find measurements for the C5/6 - other than some vauge ones on Performance Trends software. 
Oh well.  It is now OBE - I'll build my own - This board is encouraging and addictive.

UNDERCONSTRUCTION! Highly Modified C3 Corvette
         Dual Wishbone IRS w Subframe + Custom Uprights

2/17/2012 1:17 am  #6

I do so sleep,  While I am at work being paid for it!   LOL   Plenty of time to sleep once we are dead.   For now ,I Work for someone else to keep a roof over my head    As soon as I get  home,  I work in my own shop to keep my sanity!     
        My  three phase converter seldom gets turned off before 11:00pm     Its a balance that works for me

Last edited by tyrellracing (2/17/2012 1:38 am)

Board footera