Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

11/01/2010 5:01 pm  #1

Tramp's questions about Jag IRS

I moved the following post by tramp to make it its own thread.

Tramp wrote:

Hi guys, I'm building a Mk2 Ford Granada Cardinal Hearse (a UK car). This car already runs an IRS but I want to change it. I have the said Jag IRS for it a 2.88:1 LSD unit. My question is related to the UJ angles the car has a split prop shaft, so where would I take the angle from. I also noticed that the mounting flange on the diff is angled from front to back, not sure of the angle as I haven't measured it.
The other thing I want to know does anybody know anybody that can give me the measurements for making a cross-member to mount the Jag Unit. I contacted Mike Bontoft, but have heard nothing back from him recently. He did say on a previous e-mail that he is shutting up shop.
Can anyone help please as this is holding up the build.
Thanks guys.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

11/01/2010 5:10 pm  #2

Re: Tramp's questions about Jag IRS

the pinion angle needs to be parallel with the transmission angle.  in other words if the trans angle is 3º down the pinion angle should be 3º up.

As far as your second question, there are lots of ways to do it.  Most mounts mimic the original cage in one way or another.  As far as recommendations as to how you you should do it, I would need more info, such as pix of the undercarriage of the car you are working on.  At this point there is no one size fits all option for a support system.

To bad about CWI.  Sure am glad I ordered a spare rebuild kit from them for my other Jag project that probably won't be worked on for some time in the future.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

11/01/2010 9:56 pm  #3

While you are sending pictures, take a look in the old forum and see how the tubular cage from Curt Hamilton has worked out in my '65 Mustang so far.  I would advise anyone needing a rebuild of their IRS, shaft narrowing, or a cage, to contact Hamilton Automotive Industries, (818) 787-9695, early in your project.

While you are in the old forum, look at Joe's modified Jag cage.

Typically long wheel base cars have a split driveshaft to keep the length down and rotational speed allowance of the individual shafts up. The pinion angle would be parallel to the front portion of the  drive shaft.  This front portion will be parallel with the trans and have a support bearing near the aft end.  My (non-IRS) Chevy Suburban is set up this way.

Are you running CV joints?  You may have to, as the Jag should be set up with the lower a-arms parallel to the ground, front to rear, at ride height.  This sets the pinion angle and it may not be parallel with the front shaft, forcing the need for CV joints.

What IRS is in the car now?

"'Cars are like primates. They need to squat to go.'—Carroll Smith"

11/17/2010 11:34 am  #4

Ok, the IRS in the vehicle now is the original Ford unit. but it won't take the power that the motor is putting out. Also I want to sit the rear of the car higher than the stock so it has a raked look. It is a bit of a 70s retro build, although the car is from 1985. It is a Ford Granada (UK). Any diagrams to show the angles of the prop, being a two-part with a centre bearing.
I will try and get some pictures of the original unit in situ, as soon as I get a day when it isn't raining as the car is on my yard at the moment uncovered due to garage mods in progress.

Board footera