Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

11/30/2011 4:10 am  #1

2012 Lambo Suspension

Here is an absolutely awesome "walk around" the new set up on the 2012 Lambo:

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2011/09/2012-lamborghini-aventador-suspension-walkaround.html

A lot of great ideas there to "reverse engineer."   Here is a quick sample:

Cheers - Jim

UNDERCONSTRUCTION! Highly Modified C3 Corvette
         Dual Wishbone IRS w Subframe + Custom Uprights

11/30/2011 8:53 am  #2

Re: 2012 Lambo Suspension

That is one sexy set up.  Thanks for sharing it!!! I am a fan of the bellcrank, it gives so many more suspension option.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

11/30/2011 10:28 am  #3

Looks like a good starting point. Wondering how it can be modified and improved?

Last edited by Ralphy (11/30/2011 11:00 am)

11/30/2011 1:33 pm  #4

Ralphy;
I bet there are a lot of opportunities to work elements of that design on my C3!
I like the Belcrank and especially the horizontal low lying dampers.  Also of  note--the swaybar tied in through the 'crank.

The more I look (search) the more inclined I am to go to a double wishbone/H-bone on my mod.
When I have a bit of time I post pics in a new thread on my Giovanni.

Cheers - Jim

12/01/2011 7:08 am  #5

OK,
Compare this Lambo to the Team 321 design. I do not like the Team 321 for several reasons. First off the ratio of pivot length is at least 3 to 1. WOW, as I was typing I just realized the connection with the name. How much does the coil over shock cost? That's surely a special item, getting a shock to operate at 1/3 the travel. Then the spring, I would be running app. 400 lbs. springs typical. With the 321 I would need 1,200 lbs springs. Next, how would this design work with a high roll centered car? Maybe I am wrong, but it would seem to me having your coilover outside the frame would make a chassis more stable. And needing a lot less (smaller sway bar) anti roll. Finally, what's up with the trailing link? A double wishbone design that still requires a (binding link) trailing link? All in all I think the design would work OK for a very light low CG car, but for the street? Day where did that pic go of the design similar to the 321, but the coilover outside the frame?

The Lambo keeps the lower shock mount all the out where it needs to be. The bell-crank appears to be a 1/1 ratio, giving the coilover full motion. Very nice indeed!

Last edited by Ralphy (12/01/2011 8:01 am)

12/01/2011 3:55 pm  #6

Ralphy - great catch on the bellcrank - BUT - its 321 - for his AREA CODE!  Haha..But a cool connection too.
I'm going to start a dialog with him and those are some good questions -.
I'm thinking that its not a Trailing link so much as a means for Toe Adjustment.

I'm now doing research on Progressive/Digressive linkage (adjustments)... sound like the election season - eh?
If I go this route and dump my Giovanni - I'll try and integrate the Double Mount Fiberglass monoleaf. Just to add complications!
This approach will be C5/6-Like - but a DIY too. 

Cheers - Jim

12/01/2011 4:07 pm  #7

Jim,
The toe control is done by the rod in the foreground. I'm referring to the black link hanging in the background. And I saw the area code thing on their site.

Last edited by Ralphy (12/01/2011 4:09 pm)

12/01/2011 5:48 pm  #8

Copy - I was speaking to the same Yellow rod in foreground - and made an assumption the black rods were for stabilizing while doing the shoot!
Here's a shot of a Factory Five Cobra install - shows no trailing arm...

Really like his modular approach using the "subframe."

Cheers - Jim

Last edited by phantomjock (12/01/2011 5:50 pm)

12/02/2011 10:06 am  #9

My favorite part about the bellcrank is where it puts the shock and spring pressure in relation to the hub.  I know that the closer you can get the the shock and spring to the tire the more effectively they can react to all minor imperfections in the road.  this results in better ride quality.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

12/02/2011 10:26 pm  #10

For what it is it's not all that complex, and there's a certain amount of VAG practice evident in the design (VW/Audi Group owns Lambo these days.)

Pretty substantial amount of force on the ends of those stubby little sway bars.

Carbon-composite disc rotors?  Yum($$$$$$$)my.

Need me a set of them standalone parking brake calipers.   As aftermarket Brembo bits they're painfully pricey; there's some other vendors making spot parking brake calipers of widely varying design and quality.  Jag S-type Rs used them, need to see if I can find a junkyard set.

Last edited by JEM (12/02/2011 10:30 pm)

Board footera