Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

10/31/2011 11:20 am  #1

Wheel hop

I have seen a few comment about how wheel hop is a drawback to IRS systems and Daze mentioned it in another one of my posts.  What is it about the geometry of these systems that make this a potential issue?  What can be done to minimize it?

Is this something that only happens at the track with slicks or can it happen with moderately high horsepower street cars?

11/01/2011 7:46 am  #2

Re: Wheel hop

If there is one thing I have learned working on cars, it is most things are a trade off.  You get a cam to maximize HP you loose low end torque.  You stiffen your suspension for better handling you loose ride quality.  You add lower gears for more off the line power you reduce top speed and on an on.  IRS is no different.  By freeing up the suspension and allowing it to move independently you improve ride quality and handling while cornering because the suspension is less rigid and more reactive.  The trade of is during hard acceleration where rigidity is required to plant the tires to the pavement the freedom of the suspension to move results in wheel hop. 

The degree of wheel hop is amplified by the following factors

1.  Wheels and tires , size, profile, width
2.  HP
3.  rear end ratio
4.  hard launches

I would never consider IRS for a drag car, or on a car that has more HP than anything else, but for a road car it makes perfect sense.  Wheel hop has been a hot topic on the Cobra forums where they are running a Jag IRS and 500 HP or better.  The best solution has been the watts link on the upper part of the hub.  It helped stabilizes the hub and eliminates much of the wheel hop.
http://s350.photobucket.com/albums/q401/acmjg/?action=view&current=MOV04917.mp4

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

Board footera