Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

10/08/2011 7:16 pm  #1

How did you, or how are you going to, complement your IRS unit with...

on May 12, 2010, 2:05 pm, Daze wrote:

How did you, or how are you going to, complement your IRS unit with the front suspension??? The recent post with Joe putting a Mustang II front suspension on his car got me wondering what the rest of you have done ore are planning on doing and why.

My Front end:

I live in north west MT so I am surrounded by lots of mountains, lakes and streams and because of them there are not a lot of straight roads around here, in fact most are quite curvy. To add to that I am a "go fast junky" (I was going to say "speed junky" but that implied an addiction of a different sort  ) Any way Because of these driving conditions coupled with my need for speed, I spent the last 10 years building my 64.5 Mustang to be driven hard on the curvyiest of roads. For me there is nothing beter that hitting a tight curve at 70+ MPH and coming out the other side doing 90. It took a lot of research and work but I got the basic stock front configuration dialed in by upgrading everything to components of similar design to OEM parts but all engineered to out perform their OEM counterparts.

After I decided to go IRS I realized that a front suspension and steering upgrade was in order. To improve the steering I went with a unisteer rac & pinion unit. And for the suspension I decided to go with a full coil over front suspension, but I could not justify spending $2500 especially since I already had adjustable strut rods and a good set of QA1 adjustable coil overs with springs can be had for around $400. So in true Daze fashion I decided to build my own. All said and done I will have about $1000.00 in to it.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

10/08/2011 7:20 pm  #2

Re: How did you, or how are you going to, complement your IRS unit with...

on May 12, 2010, 2:20 pm, cecil671 wrote:

Do you have any pics of your setup and more specs?
I built the adjustable strut rods and rollerized perches from your web page.
I also did the Arning drop on the uca,s.
I have new lca's and am going to box both the uca's and the lca's for strength.
I also think I am going to get the kit for the lca mounting point to set camber better.
I also have the 1" shorter 620 springs new as well.
I am up in the air as to which shocks to use.
Maybe the kyb adjustables or some sort of coil overs and resell my new 620's.

10/08/2011 7:22 pm  #3

kermit wrote:

I have a complete front Global West tubular upper and lower arm and the strut rods.

http://www.thefroginator.co.uk/index.php?folder=/022-Pictures/02-during/13-suspension/

10/08/2011 7:23 pm  #4

on May 17, 2010, 2:41 pm, Mustsed wrote:

I use a complete ..................... rollerized front end with;

-Roller LCA's boxed and with screw in ball joints
-Roller UCA halfway boxed with stock ball joints
-Roller spring perches
-Adjustable strut rods with Cv boots to keep the heims lubricated all the time
-620 lbs coil springs 1" lowered
-ZF power steering box (Opel Omega / Cadillac Cetara)
-13" Cobra rotors & calipers with homemade brackets

I have this setup almost 4 month now and my '67 hardtop drives, corners and stops better then the Focus I had.

Mustsed

10/08/2011 7:24 pm  #5

on May 18, 2010, 8:10 am, Daze wrote:

Did you build your own roller UCAs and LCAs or did you get them...
from ORP?

10/08/2011 7:25 pm  #6

on May 18, 2010, 9:32 am, TxStretch wrote:

Hey Musted - Can you give us more info on the Opel / Catera steering box? ... pictures too is possible. I want the Borgeson type set-up but a less expensive DYI solution (Daze is in my head!).

10/08/2011 7:26 pm  #7

on May 18, 2010, 10:31 am, Mustsed wrote:

Everything is made at home by myself and............ Iý guess I did it well, at least it doesn't act weird! But John from ORP helped me a lot with his info on parts and "how-to".

The Opel box is a cheaper solution but not directly a bolt on.
You have to re-drill holes into the frame, re-work the pitman arm, shorten the steering shaft and column and a few other small changes.

What did you get? A tight not over assisted steering with great road feel, 3 turns from lock-to-lock turning, no change in turning radius and an overall better steering.

Send me an email and we talk about it over mails instead of this IRS board.

Mustsed

5/18/2013 3:44 pm  #8

Hi Daze,  on the 30's  custom pickup rod project  I  score a complete  c5 corvette  suspension assembly, zo6!!!
  then  getting VERY frustrated  with the crowd  on pro-touring trying to get the a-arm  mounting tech
( its very much protected info-like THEY invented it).  I looked around and found a burned car,  in San Antonio,,, much thanks to the owner-Vince Grissom .   Before heading down there I made a assembly jig  with the original  vette magnesium carrier  and some square tubing--got the lower a arm mounts  pegged and some uprights  ready  then headed down  and mounted the carrier and the jig on the c 5 frame,  and used  bondo squeezed in to get the upper mount points .   the jig  was cut right in the middle,,, Now  one size  smaller square tubing slipped in the jig frame with a few more inches taken out of either side..... and I can make a custom crossmember an width from  62"  etc down to  58"

5/20/2013 11:59 am  #9

trying to upload pics

5/21/2013 2:42 am  #10

truckeez wrote:

Hi Daze,  on the 30's  custom pickup rod project  I  score a complete  c5 corvette  suspension assembly, zo6!!!
  then  getting VERY frustrated  with the crowd  on pro-touring trying to get the a-arm  mounting tech
( its very much protected info-like THEY invented it).  I looked around and found a burned car,  in San Antonio,,, much thanks to the owner-Vince Grissom .   Before heading down there I made a assembly jig  with the original  vette magnesium carrier  and some square tubing--got the lower a arm mounts  pegged and some uprights  ready  then headed down  and mounted the carrier and the jig on the c 5 frame,  and used  bondo squeezed in to get the upper mount points .   the jig  was cut right in the middle,,, Now  one size  smaller square tubing slipped in the jig frame with a few more inches taken out of either side..... and I can make a custom crossmember an width from  62"  etc down to  58"

Maybe Phantomjock can find it. I think someone at Vettemod posted all the dimensions in a PDF file there.

Oh, I have a Mustang II front end.

Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy (5/21/2013 2:42 am)

5/21/2013 2:53 am  #11

I found the front but I thought I had seen the rear.

Front C5
http://www.vettemod.com/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=93

Vettemod files
http://www.vettemod.com/forum/downloads.php?

Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy (5/21/2013 2:56 am)

5/21/2013 12:06 pm  #12

Greetings Ralphy, im  saddened by everyone who have had to close shop because of things beyound their control,,,,,,  this is the ONLY  political diatrybe ill post on this forum~i promise.
 IT's  BUSH's FAULT!
  Now that thats over, lets all move foreward---->
 well,  Just One More,,,  There seem to be some total Idiots inhabiting the congressional halls of Sacremento,  Theze  Booger eating  chicken humpers  are  the epitome  of  wasted space.......
 They totally disreguard  the FACT that  Cali USED to be  20% of the gross national product,,  and how much of that was  grass roots automotive  passion based??  Actually the purest form of  hotrod  grass roots industry  that originated right there-unlike  any elsewhere in the country?
  No matter what little town  I traveled thru,  wether  Hemit--or Visalia,  or Morongo Valley,  they all were peppered with little  rod shops--people  doing what they loved and  making a living doing it.
 Tthen these creedents  find every  which way to make life impossible  for a rodder wether its  making it a barrel of snakes some one has to deal with  registering or complying  with  their f''d  ordinances,  to hasseling  the guys  making parts--til they just threw up their hands-- pack up and leave. 

No one appreciates  clean air more than me,  the way the jerks in Cali's political halls  go about choking off the lifeblood  of where the car culture  came from, rather than figure out a way to protect it--flabergasts me.

5/21/2013 12:21 pm  #13

5/21/2013 12:37 pm  #14

Tiny pic is SCREWED,   I try  the upload images--it takes me to TP  the page says Sucess.......
  I hit the Add to your post......................................................  nothing happens.  I somehow  muddled thru--and got two pics out of  umpteen tries.

Last edited by truckeez (5/21/2013 12:38 pm)

5/21/2013 10:44 pm  #15

Time to get back to work on my '65 Mustang convertible with Jag IRS.  MII front end from RCmotorsports has been gathering a bit of Huntington Beach surface rust.  Went this way to allow room for a bigger engine.

"'Cars are like primates. They need to squat to go.'—Carroll Smith"

6/16/2013 10:20 am  #16

I went all Jag. In fact I installed my Jag IFS first. I also pulled the coil springs in favor of a pair of Slam Specialties SS-6 air bags. Really awesome setup.

97' C5 Corvette, 46' International Harvester K3 Street Rod

46' International "Harvester of Sorrow" Build Thread
http://www.killbillet.com/showthread.php?t=24127

6/21/2013 4:11 am  #17

This will be a bit of a duplicate - I have the IRS and these over on the Chevy thread - but these are too nice not to post again:

The builder is believed to be John Buttera,  a contemporary of Boyd Coddington.
Another view of this fantastic work:

Cheers - Jim

UNDERCONSTRUCTION! Highly Modified C3 Corvette
         Dual Wishbone IRS w Subframe + Custom Uprights

6/25/2013 11:20 pm  #18

sound so  super

9/01/2013 10:36 pm  #19

Took the El Camino for a short drive today after major effort to fix an engine oil leak.
Not truly happy with the current drivetrain, so my major mod will be to toss out the TH400 and put in a real transmission.
Probably a Muncie from a 'Vette since the price is reasonable.
The other major intended mod will ba large second fuel tank where the "Smugglers Box" used to be.
Other than decent paint, gauges and upholstery it's a fairly mild project.
Just want it to ride decently, handle well, and go fast.

At these prices I want my gas 100 octane, leaded, and my windshield washed!

9/03/2013 10:02 am  #20

I’ve been working on putting a 2003 Cobra IRS into my 1977 Volare Road Runner.  Width is a pretty good match.  Up front, I’m getting rid of the Mopar side to side torsion bars and grafting in an aftermarket IFS crossmember from Industrial Chassis designed for the 53-56 Ford F100 and uses 87-97 Dodge Dakota suspension parts.  Drive train will be a 413 Mopar big block with a Viper T56.  Years in the making.  Big fun.

Greg

Board footera