Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

10/07/2011 1:01 pm  #1

Late model wheels

on April 28, 2010, 8:55 pm cecil wrote:

Good evening everyone.
Most of you seem to have shortened your jag axles
to your current stock axle length.
I left mine the longer jag length to hopefully use late model (94 up cobra R )wheels with a 5 1/2 to 6 inch backspacing.
Have any of you done this or see a flaw in my thinking?
Any thought or comments are most welcome.
Thanks.
Cecil

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

10/07/2011 1:02 pm  #2

Re: Late model wheels

on April 28, 2010, 9:38 pm Daze wrote:

being that the 67 rear end is 2" wider than a 65-66, I don't see any issues with that.   on my 65 I had to reduce the width by 4" so I don't think back spacing would have been enough for my application with out flaring the fenders, but for yours it should work since you are only needing to deal with 1" per side. Can you mock the tires and rims up on the the IRS unit to make sure there is not any clearance issues?? I think DC used backspacing to get his Jag unit to fit so he may have more details.

10/07/2011 1:03 pm  #3

on April 29, 2010, 8:08 am Joe wrote:

I am putting a 69 XJ6 with stock axles in my 67 coupe. I did a mock up recently and I was able to put my stock wheels 15x7 4.25 backspacing with 215/70-15 tires on the car. The tires tucked up under the fenders without any problems and I jumped up and down on the bumper again without any rubbing. My plan is to run 17" wheels when all is done. Hope that helps.

Joe

10/07/2011 1:04 pm  #4

on April 29, 2010, 9:51 am Daze wrote:

Joe, got any pictures of the mock up or your progress so far?? I would love to see it.

10/07/2011 1:06 pm  #5

on April 29, 2010, 10:14 am Joe wrote:

Sure do but they are currently on my sister-in-laws camera. I'll post some pictures this weekend.

Board footera