Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

10/07/2011 10:20 am  #1

Jaguar IRS into 1967 Mustang - 2

on April 21, 2010, 5:25 am Mustsed wrote:

Hello everybody,

Got my parts back from the shop and tough I share.

While the hafshafts and wishbones are been shortened, I removed the caliper and separate the differential from the rest awaiting the gears I ordered. I don't want to do a job twice therefore I left the differential as is and will take care of the cleaning and visuals later when the shop has done their work.

For $20/pcs I let them change all u-joints on the halfshafts with new ones. I dont want to get into this rear end again in the next 30 years.

Halfshafts & wishbones are now exact build to size and ready to go back after I have done the other parts too.

I will try to make this rear end to look a little better then the first one and therefore will change the lower alignment plate with something custom also.

Any and all comments are welcome.

Mustsed

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

10/07/2011 10:22 am  #2

Re: Jaguar IRS into 1967 Mustang - 2

on April 21, 2010, 9:50 am Daze wrote:

What is the material the shops used to narrow the half shafts??? It looks about the same OD as the original halfshafts. when I had mine made the first time they useds tubing that was the same OD as the original. I was concerned about strength so I had another set made with bigger tubing.

Some time later a mechanical engineer ran some numbers and it turns out that the original ones I had made were about 85% as strong as the stock units and since the stock units can handle over 600 HP I think I would have been fine to run them, oh well.

10/07/2011 10:24 am  #3

on April 21, 2010, 10:37 am Mustsed wrote:

I don't recall the stock halfshaft diameter but these one's are.... 38mm hydraulic line tubing meant for high pressure fluid transfer - at least that's what the shop claimed them to be. These are the same as in the former IRS I've done and after reading this post I went to the garage to measure - they're beefy.

My car never will make big power to break these - for sure.

Mustsed

10/07/2011 10:25 am  #4

on April 21, 2010, 12:37 pm Daze wrote:

those should be better than stock.
I did the math and 38 mm is the same as 1.5". Stock is 1.25" and I had mine done out of 1.75" which is twice as strong as stock so you should be more than strong enough

Board footera