Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

8/30/2011 6:08 am  #1

The Lounge, what's on your mind?

Deleted.

Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy (1/09/2012 5:37 pm)

8/30/2011 7:08 am  #2

Re: The Lounge, what's on your mind?

No Politics!

8/30/2011 8:02 pm  #3

8/30/2011 8:27 pm  #5

8/31/2011 7:25 am  #6

This is what I have to look forward to?

JB

8/31/2011 8:13 am  #7

Jim Blackwood wrote:

This is what I have to look forward to?
JB

Depends on how much HP you are putting down and how hard you beat on the car

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

8/31/2011 8:29 am  #8

Those Mickey Thompson tires are sticky. Plus the driver leaning his head back surely added some down force.

Last edited by Ralphy (8/31/2011 8:29 am)

8/31/2011 4:03 pm  #9

8/31/2011 6:39 pm  #10

Small town living you gotta love it. Only in rural areas can moving a pile of dirt make the news. LOL!

http://www.times-herald.com/local/Coming-Thursday-

9/05/2011 6:47 pm  #11

Going to Atlanta Motor Speedway tomorrow. I bought two $105.00 tickets for $25.00 each. Hope the rain stays away.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Well I'm up early for the race. Radar shows it's clear but it's a little misty. We had high 90 degree weather Saturday and now it's 57 out. Atlanta weather is not like back home. You can go from summer heat to wearing coats in a snap. NASCAR has been interesting this year, a lot of unexpected drivers have won. Paul Menard got his first win Trevor Bayne wins Daytona, Regan Smith, David Ragan, Marcos Ambrose. Heck Jr. is in the chase! I started cheering Jeff Gordon because of the first race I went to. I was an Earnhardt fan and the people who cheered him were some of the biggest Aholes in the stands and hated Gordon. Hope it's a good race.

The best race to see has got to be Bristol, wearing ear plugs and ear muffs is not a bad idea! Not a bad seat also in the house with something like 120,000. It's like a large football stadium adding to the volume. It truly earns it's name Thunder Valley!

Last edited by Ralphy (9/06/2011 3:17 am)

9/06/2011 5:36 pm  #12

So Gordon wins, that made my day. He had the best car most of the race. However he seemed to come up short in the pits. Then during the restarts he would lose 2 or 5 positions. Him and Johnson really battled it out. One of the best races I have ever seen live.

Jeff Gordon gained sole possession of #3 on the all time winners list.

http://www.nascar.com/video/post-race/final-laps/110906/cup-atl-high-final/index.html

Last edited by Ralphy (9/07/2011 7:42 am)

9/06/2011 6:04 pm  #13

Hay Ralphy.  This post seamed like a good Idea, but I didn't want it to over shadow the IRS stuff so I set up this section of the forum specifically for it.

Last edited by Daze (9/08/2011 8:50 am)

9/12/2011 4:44 am  #14

We watched hours of shows on 9/11 last night. I had to leave the room when they showed human beings jumping to their death. I will never forget!

9/12/2011 7:36 pm  #15

I will never forget either, but I wonder if future generations will feel the same.  The majority of people don't think  about pearl harbor day because they when't alive when it happened. I wonder if the same will hold true for 9/11  It will be interesting to see what 9/11 will be like in 50 years.

9/15/2011 4:40 am  #16

Buzz Lightyear has got nothing on this guy! Truly falling gracefully.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TWfph3iNC-k

10/23/2011 9:03 pm  #17

man I love being a Packers fan!!!

11/03/2011 8:49 am  #18

Yeah, and it's tough being from Cleveland!

1/02/2012 1:20 am  #19

Have any of you looked into GRIGGS RACING gr350 suspensions?  They are the current trans am American Iron series champs and have a front suspension that is capable of generating 1.5  lateral  G's on street tires in both early and late model mustangs.  I cannot afford the 10K pricetag  for the GR 350 set up so I down loaded all the images I could find , scaled the images to create drawings of all the componets and built a near exact copy of the gr350 setup. I say "near"  because I used different spindles with nearly the same dimentions.  The king pin inclination was off by .5 degree.  I had a spare front frame from a 67 mustang .  Fire wall forward.  I used this to set up the griggs copy and begin my analisis.  I have produced a suspension that has less than .030 measured bump steer over the 5 inches of travel normally used on my car. These measurments were taken 12.5 inches ahead of and behind hub center because I am running 245/45/zr 16 with a outside diameter of aprox25 in.     From normal ride height  set at  5 degrees pos. caster, .8 deg.neg camber  and .0625 toe in, it produces an additional .5deg.neg camber the first inch compression, 1.1deg neg.camber the second inch and 1.9 deg. neg. camber on the third.  The suspension software that I think Ralphy  posted here looks like the exact tool I need to verefy weather or not to convert my Shelby to the griggs setup.  Also in an effort to get rid of the Jag wheel hop issue I have been trying to solve  since I installed the irs in my Shelby,  I converted to Klaus Arning hub carrier design with its leading and trailing links and no longer have a wheel hop problem.  As to fabricating hub carriers,  Unless you have a lathe with enough swing to turn the finnished carrier.  Dont waste your time.  My first attempts are in my scrap pile due to the finnished bearing bores getting distorted over .020 when I welded the required pieces to the tube I machined for a .002 interference fit for the outer bearing races and seals.  Turning the part after all the welding is done was the only way I could produce a perfectly round bore capable of retaining the bearings concentric and paralell.  Any missalignment in the carrier would only lead to bearing failure in a critical area.

1/02/2012 1:31 am  #20

BTW.....   Ralphy you were right.  I saw the race on tv and had to be one of the best NASCAR races I have seen in a while.  It must have been Awesome to see live!

1/02/2012 10:04 am  #21

As for the broken Jag parts,  I am running a 408 cleveland stroker engine with a 4130 crank, H beam rods, CHI heads that produces somewhere in the neighborhood of 575ftlb torque in a 2875 lb car with a posi and 3.25 gears in a rear robbed from a XJ6 , spank the crap out of it every chance I get and even with wheel hop have yet to break anything.    May be the drag radials provided too much bite or the parts were fatigued and had micro cracks before they were installed in the cobra.  After all I think I am correct in stating that none of us know just how violent of a life the jag parts we are using had before we began to molest them.  It could be someones grandma drove the car its entire life back and fourth to church or it could have been the bank robbing granny from hell eluding cops daily!WHO KNOWS!

1/03/2012 4:27 pm  #22

hey tyrellracingsure it sure is nice to see you posting on the forum again!!!  I have been moving the posts from the old forum to the new forum and during that process got to reread a lot of what you had said.  You always provided such good info.  you are a fantastic resource and I am glad you are posting again!!!

1/09/2012 4:26 pm  #23

Ralphy wrote:

I just read our nations average credit score is 666. YIKES!

Ralphy, like the Lennon song "Imagine"says, "...No religion too..."
;{

UNDERCONSTRUCTION! Highly Modified C3 Corvette
         Dual Wishbone IRS w Subframe + Custom Uprights

1/09/2012 4:30 pm  #24

The real Reason I dropped in here -- Not that last inane comment, was; What about a Thread/Section  --  Members Rides?
Each member could post the goings on with theirs  and naturally the focus will be the IRS - but, I'm finding - we need to start at the System Level - get all the bits square - then move to the 'back of the bus." Err - the IRS.
And it would be cool to see each others's work too.  Everybody likes pictures.

Cheers - Jim

Last edited by phantomjock (1/09/2012 4:30 pm)

1/09/2012 5:56 pm  #25

PJ,
If my memory serves me right I started this thread and posted no politics. Only after I posted that remark did Day add no politics and religion and create a header. I really did not see the religion angle, I only found it a little humorous. I will delete the post.

Or maybe Day started the thread I really do not remember, that was back in August.

Pictures done right tell so much! What are you referring to when you say Sytem Level?

phantomjock wrote:

The real Reason I dropped in here -- Not that last inane comment, was; What about a Thread/Section  --  Members Rides?
Each member could post the goings on with theirs  and naturally the focus will be the IRS - but, I'm finding - we need to start at the System Level - get all the bits square - then move to the 'back of the bus." Err - the IRS.
And it would be cool to see each others's work too.  Everybody likes pictures.

Cheers - Jim

Last edited by Ralphy (1/09/2012 6:00 pm)

1/09/2012 7:26 pm  #26

Ralphy - I was just funning around - I hadn't dropped by the lounge and that the "Self-inflicted" censorship was funny... so wanted to hitchhike  along - and I like John Lennon!

System Level - when we remod our vehicles - all pieces need to work in harmony - e.g., a  really great engine needs a good tranny, rear end, and suspension system. 
As this is the IRS Forum - just a gentle nudge - that I keep reminding myself - to fully understand, map and mod the front first.   For example- set the roll/instant centers at the FRONT first.  Then get to the rear end.   If I were to just jump in and work the rear might wind up with a disappointing result - a fine IRS but poorly mated to the remainder of the "System." And then total frustration at the effort spent.  The System Level is then the entire vehicle. 

And as far as the vehicle pics go, I am thinking each member could show - the vehicle, shop,  etc - sort of a "bragging zone," what your doing and showing it off.  Naturally anything IRS related could be in its own Thread.  Thats why I was suggesting a Category(?) is that the right phrese/term  for the Major segments of the forum?  Like what is, "The Lounge, whats on your mind, " called in web-speak?

1/09/2012 8:14 pm  #27

Came across a pretty cool site called, Forgotten Fiberglass Forums. Check it out, found a 1959 Batmobile.

http://forum.forgottenfiberglass.com/index.php

1/10/2012 10:34 am  #28

Ralphy wrote:

PJ,
If my memory serves me right I started this thread and posted no politics. Only after I posted that remark did Day add no politics and religion and create a header. I really did not see the religion angle, I only found it a little humorous. I will delete the post.

As far as I am concerned you did not post anything  inappropriate.  When I took your original thread and turned it in to its own section of the forum I just chose to be proactive and prohibit hot button topics

1/23/2012 6:34 am  #29

This ones for you Day.

1/25/2012 10:12 am  #30

I once had this odd feeling I was in the wrong store.

Last edited by Ralphy (1/25/2012 10:12 am)

Board footera