Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

3/31/2012 6:17 am  #61

Re: New Member Here

I feel like I have been slacking off on this but this time of year we are getting ready for the season to start, so I have only made some small gains.

I'm leaving the backplate ugly for now because I havent figured out what I want to do to "fancy" it up. Eventually the front and backplates will be tied to the jackplate with bolts via a small angle iron bracket.

Still a very long ways to go. I beleive that I will be mounting the engine and trans back in next to get an idea of the weight on the front axle and nail down my pinion angles and tack in a brace so I can do the final fab on the bench. I have decided to go the airbag route where the rearward shocks would mount and use Energy suspension bushings on the trailing arms in the front with 3 or 4 ft links to  frame brackets. Also the front plate links to the RA frame will be bushed at one end. This is the power plant. Its just fun to look at..LOL

5/29/2012 8:00 pm  #62

Been making slow gains , but time is  a little wanting. Also got a new tincan to mount things under. 1964 Chevy, same design but much better condition to work with. Came with Airbag system already installed, so I got parts to work with.

Fabbing brackets for the bags right now.

I got the pinion struts done, they are bushed at the upper mounts. No adjustments on this , I dialed in the pinion angles and they will stay there. A little trimming of the old airbag system mounts under the van and this assembly will slap right in.  Thats the plan anyway.

5/30/2012 8:05 am  #63

That is looking really good! When do you think you will get your first test drive?

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

5/30/2012 4:32 pm  #64

Thanks !!  Oh man there is SO MUCH to do to this yet. I'm not even going to guess on driving it ! I've got a pick up cab load of parts sitting on the office floor here that have to go in there sometime yet. With the bag system I'm rethinking my trailing arm setup and going with what you have. It should let me keep the Show Off range of motion. lol.  Working on figuring out shocks right now. What would or might be a good  distance to start from below the chosen ride hieght ?  2-3 inches?  Its only going to let me drop it about 7" before interference and I wouldnt be driving it that low either.

6/03/2012 3:55 am  #65

Got it stuck under the 64 and hooked the bags up to see what it does.

I have alot to learn on this air stuff for light vehichles yet so I'm sure I'll be tweaking things before it's done. It behaves totally different with the IRS than it did with the solid axle setup. Currently this is a 4 bag independent system, I have the stuff ordered to make a 2 circuit system.

My little OOPs here, didnt have the shock cross bolt tight and it gives a bit of a twist, I need to beef up my spacer and put some corner braces in the angle iron.

I'm seeing a sway bar and perhaps a spacer under the bags ( I dont like the way it looks) in the future. I did install to the printed "Install Hieght" in the directions but I'm used to air ride systems on big trucks and you dont see the lower hook up unless the system is stretched out normally. Next is getting the engine and tranny set in this one.

Board footera