Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

6/08/2011 1:05 pm  #1

MUSTANG IRS

Hi

I make the IRS FORD designed for the 1965 Shelby GT-350. You can read about an hour's worth of tech articles, patent info, and magazine stories about the IRS on my web site www.mustangirs.com

The best intro to the subject is by reading the 2 articles that appeared in RACE CAR ENGINEERING. They are listed under the MEDIA section. Just for fun, check out ALL THE KING'S MEN video in the same section. I used to own THE LAST OF THE KING COBRAS which set in my garage attic for decades. It's now being restored by the original Shelby team. Fun !!

Please feel free to write me on this forum, or at ctm913@hotmail.com.

Thanks
and thank you Daze

Last edited by Daze (6/08/2011 1:53 pm)

6/08/2011 4:00 pm  #2

Re: MUSTANG IRS

Thanks for the post Duane. I have read all the articles and some more than once. What a great little known story about IRS design pioneered by Ford and Klaus Arning. I'm sure it was hard to part with such a piece of history.

Ralphy

6/08/2011 8:34 pm  #3

Duane, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!  got any pictures of the Mustang IRS that are not on your web site???  if you email them to me I can post them for you.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

6/09/2011 6:58 am  #4

Duane, would you agree with this statement. Some toe/steer is better than none?

6/09/2011 4:33 pm  #5

so correct me if I am wrong... as I often am but is the "rear steer" nothing more than built in bump steer???  and being built in the wheels react is a specific way given cretin suspension travel??  If that is the case I can see how that would vastly improve cornering, BUT would it not be problematic on bumpy roads when attempting to go straight??  Not trying to be critical at all, just trying to fully rap my head around it.  From my point of view everything in life is a trade off and I am just trying to see the trade off in this particular situation.  If I have totally missed the point pleas educate me

6/09/2011 6:18 pm  #6

I think you hit on it pretty well. But the amount of toe is very minimal. Maybe about .15 degree per inch of wheel travel. Trying to read the chart on page 116. The toe in angle numbers are 0, .1,.2, .3, etc... Angle A is the camber link angle and Jounce angle would maybe be the half shaft angle. Some other features included would be elongated wheel base under jounce. Moving the rear wheel back. Also anti squat/dive with the forward link being at an upright angle. Another interesting read on the chart is that the toe motion is pretty damn equal plus or minus!
Off roaders would not be interested.

http://www.mustangirs.com/pdf_articles/Hot_Rod_Magazine.pdf

The rear mounted shock makes sense also!

Last edited by Ralphy (6/09/2011 6:50 pm)

6/09/2011 8:06 pm  #7

HI

Thanks for the feedback.  Yes, everything in suspension design IS a compromise.  The only proof is in the driving.  Porsche & Mercedes paid Ford a license to use the anti-squat / steering feature for years.  They finally figured out how to add a 5th bar to get around the patent.  It all really works, as Gurney said about the GT-40 at LeMans, "It's really easy to go fast in this thing."

Duane

6/10/2011 7:58 am  #8

I hope I didn't offend.  I was just trying to see all the parts of the picture.  I have no doubt that it handles and drives well.  Arning was a brilliant man and I am sure that what he designed is a fantastic piece of engineering.   So is unwanted steering noticeable when going over a bump or is it so minimal that you don't even feel it??

6/10/2011 8:07 am  #9

Duane does mention in one of his videos that initially it seems (feels) to oversteer. I would have thought the opposite.

Last edited by Ralphy (6/10/2011 8:09 am)

6/11/2011 8:08 am  #10

here is a picture Duane sent me of the IRS unit.  man is that a slick set up!!!!!

6/11/2011 8:29 am  #11

Hi

Glad you liked it.  As Cris Campbell Hot Rod editor said after back to back drives in a 66 Mustang "This is the one thing you can do that makes most difference in how these cars handle."  That's probably a paraphrase, but it's been awhile.  Incidently Cris was going to install a T-5 in his '67 Ranchero until he got "down sized" from HRM.

6/11/2011 11:54 am  #12

I saved the photo and flipped it 180.. Now it's easier on my eyes!

6/12/2011 7:14 am  #13

By the way, I have 3 or 4 Jag center sections from various years and Jag aluminum hub carriers I'd like to get out of the garage.  They were part of the transition from the Dana 44 used in the original IRS back in '65...to the current Ford 9 inch.  Make me an offer.

6/13/2011 11:42 am  #14

Ralphy wrote:

I saved the photo and flipped it 180.. Now it's easier on my eyes!

I agree, the picture is way easier to look at this way

6/13/2011 6:12 pm  #15

Hi Guys

Thanks for flipping the pic.  It's supposed to look that way unless you are in a ditch.  By the way, a good caption for that pic is "SIMPLICITY IS THE ULTIMATE SOPHISTICATION"   Da VINCI

Duane

6/13/2011 7:29 pm  #16

Then explain this? No stereo or horn, LOL!

Today's cockpit a little simpler.

Last edited by Ralphy (6/13/2011 7:35 pm)

6/14/2011 8:28 pm  #17

No cup holders neither.

6/15/2011 7:01 am  #18

DUANE wrote:

No cup holders neither.

I don't know Duane, whats that thing in the second picture all the way to the left and centered vertically, just to left of the yoke

Last edited by Daze (6/15/2011 7:02 am)

6/16/2011 7:34 pm  #19

Looks like a LARGE ash tray to me.  Remember when everyone smoked everywhere ??

2/26/2017 6:24 pm  #20

Hi

I am looking for a copy of the suspension design software written by the late George Mitchell...titled WinGeo3.  Apparently it is no longer on the market.  Have a copy you'd like to sell?  Duane Carling  801 725 7664  www.mustangirs.com   ctm913@hotmail.com    THANKS 

Board footera